• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    You guys are aware that all rifle cartridges with bullets .243 diameter and larger but with a case length of 3" or less are now legal for deer hunting on private land in Indiana, right?

Some of those rounds are legal on public land too. Most if in a pistol like the AR15 pistol are legal, and also some are considered pistol rounds like the 458 socom and can be used legally on public land in rifle configuration. I know some use the 300 B.O. in a pistol, others use the 458 socom in a rifle.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you are looking for range 6.8 or 6.5. They can really get out there, but factory loads may be more difficult to come by meaning you'll need to do some planning ahead.

I've got a 300bo that I took my buck with this year. 125 gr pnw laid it down at 70ish yards entry into chest cavity no exit and just mush when I got up in there to dress it. Impressive. I built mine using ar stoner barrel and basic mid range parts and shoot under 1 inch at 100 yards all day on 125 grain. The upside to 300bo is you get to use the same mags, same bolt, same buffer. It makes for super quick changes and saves quite a bit of cash. It fails on distance and anything over 200 is trigger puller discretion.

300bo factory ammo is widely available now and the price is coming down on factory loaded fmj supersonic rounds too.

It's my favorite round. It has almost no recoil, accurate, versatile, and powerful enough for anything in Indiana and definitely enough for hogs.

JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    I would have to second the 6.5 grendel. I have been doing some in depth research and it is a good round for long distance as well as close up. I am thinking of something similar in my own firearms collection. I mainly have .308 and 5.56 rifles. Been eyeing a round that is middle of the ground between the two. So far, from my reading, the 6.5 grendel is at the top. The only downside, in my eyes thus far, out side of availability, is there is not a bullpup concept out just yet. Though not up there yet, the round is gaining popularity and have found some ammo before at Cabelas.

Flagg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    N/A
    300 BLK suppressed (for deer) has been calling my name for a few years. Just haven't gotten around to dropping the 2K for some reason.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I have been hunting deer in Indiana for years with my .300 blk pistol. It is very accurate, easy to carry, easy to move through tight woods & ammo is cheap because I reload. So the .300 blk is easily powerful enough to take med. sized game & at rifle length it will give you more range.
    2m6pv78.jpg

Here is a link to various AR uppers for sale.

https://gun.deals/category/gun-parts?caliber=1571

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And as I read more, I'm leaning toward the Grendel.

And it bears repeating...

THIS IS NOT AN INDIANA DEER RIFLE.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have been hunting deer in Indiana for years with my .300 blk pistol. It is very accurate, easy to carry, easy to move through tight woods & ammo is cheap because I reload. So the .300 blk is easily powerful enough to take med. sized game & at rifle length it will give you more range.
    2m6pv78.jpg

Here is a link to various AR uppers for sale.

https://gun.deals/category/gun-parts?caliber=1571

300blk does not benefit much if any with barrels longer than 9 inches according to everything I've read. I only have a16 so I can't compare

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    And as I read more, I'm leaning toward the Grendel.

And it bears repeating...

THIS IS NOT AN INDIANA DEER RIFLE.

I wasnt suggesting just an Indiana deer rifle with the 300. It is the most versatile hinting round/ar fun round. Saves money on ammo over the 6mm for plinking has enough power for any game id be comfortable hunting with an ar and does not require special magazines or bolt from the standard 5.56.

Grendel is a great choice as is 6.8 the power and effective range is negligible but 6.5 edges out when your playing in the 800+club. Both require magazines and their own bolt. Although the Grendel uses the same as the 50beowulf so you gain some versatility points there.

I personally want 4 calibers of ar15 all for different purposes or vanity. 5.56, 300blk, both of which I have, 6.5 Grendel because maybe I'll want to shoot more than 200 yards with some force one day, and 450 Bushmaster.

My go to plink hunt play rifle is my 300 it seems to be the best blend of power, cost, and accuracy. 6.5 is on the list but I feel like I'd have to really spend some cash to do that caliber justice.

All of the choices are good but don't dismiss a good supersonic 300blk. I can't say enough about the round as an all around great cartridge that won't break the bank if your already shooting a 5.56 ar. I'll be packing my blackout in Alabama this fall on a hog hunt for sure.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom