• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Let me preface this by saying I am still dealing with the adrenaline overload. I apologize as this is the second time I have nearly had to draw down on someone---and I'm still not accustomed to it.
    ~45 minutes ago I returned to my apartment from work and night classes. My neighbors are an older couple ~50 years old who tend to park their motorized wheelchair and double-park their vehicles to save spaces for themselves. As it was dark and I did not want to hit the wheelchair I parked carefully (or so I thought). ~3 minutes later the gentleman who double-parks knocked on my door and requested I move my vehicle as I had parked on the line by ~6 inches, and he did not want to hit my vehicle with his door. I complied and grabbed my keys to move my vehicle. At all times permitted by law I have a Glock 19 w/night sights on my person, and tonight my weapon was on my right at the 3 o'clock with a Serpa Blackhawk holster.
    As I exited my building, the gentleman's wife was ~20 feet away. She started to curse and scream at me profusely. Her husband told her several times to go into the house. I asked "is there a problem maam?" politely. She responded by cursing me out and saying I parked like a **** on purpose. She then proceeded to get into my face. As soon as she saw my gun, she started calling me a "****ing punk". Her husband ran over to stop her and she responded by saying I had pulled my gun out and aimed it at her! As he is restraining her I have my left arm out and my right hand by my pectoral muscle, ready to strike or draw if need be. He decides that he is going to call 911 on ME! As he lets her go, she gets back in my face.
    By this point the neighbors are crowding around. Mind you, this is a government-subsidized, low-income complex and the people here are the reason I started carrying. As I am backing up ~10 neighbors start to come towards me, in darkness. On top of a crazy woman I must now be aware of ~10 people IN THE DARK. It takes 3, yes THREE neighbors to pull her away from me. For ~2 minutes I am holding my left hand out and backing up yelling "maintain your distance! Stay Back maam!" The gentleman calls the police.
    Before the police show up, I unload, lock the slide, and secure the weapon in my front seat, then lock my vehicle. I then place my hands on the trunk of the closest vehicle. Valpo PD shows up with a Sergeant and a Patrolman (not sure as the the latter's rank). Patrolman comes to my apt with me and secures my LTCH and ID. A county officer that I am friends with responds to the call and personally vouches for me. I explain the situation and they agree that I have done nothing wrong and have acted legally.
    Now for the INTERESTING and upsetting part:
    The Sergeant pulls me aside. He says that he talked to the other residents and that they say I have a habit of "pulling my gun" on people. I calmly explained I have never drawn, and I explained the prior situation. ~2 months ago a gangbanger who lives by me was upset that I was parking in a particular spot (there is no designated parking). He proceeded to threaten myself, my fiancee, and my vehicle and started to walk towards me. I pulled my coat away and put my left hand out and ordered him to stop. He complied, and 2 days later he was kicked out for the excessive police calls.
    Anyway, the Sergeant proceeds to tell me how I am going to get myself killed if I continue to carry. He said "one of these days you're going to come across someone who's going to either kick your @ss or you're going to get killed. I mean, I could kick your @ss." How professional. He said it's my right to carry but if I continue to do so I'm going to get myself killed. He proceeded to lecture me on "being arrested for pointing an empty gun at someone." I calmly replied to him that I am fully aware of Indiana law and I will not just brandish my weapon at anyone. The level-headed patrolman asked me why I secured my weapon in my vehicle. I explained that I felt it would be better for everyone's safety if I did so. They all said they were impressed that I thought of that. They all suggested that if I "must carry" then I do so CC, as "adjusting your pants could be seen as going for your gun." I advised him that I do tend to CC, but as the weather just turned around and I WAS just in my apartment I did not CC in this particular instance.
    I asked the patrolman if there would be a report made, as I am due to be hired on at the Porter County Sheriff's Department soon. He said that that would be up to his Sergeant.
    So, long story short, I spoke with the gentleman. I advised him that my parking was an accident (although it was his fault I did so). He said his wife is severely depressed. I spoke with the neighbor across the hall who witnessed the entire incident. He said in no way did I touch my weapon nor was I threatening her. He was certain that the woman was highly intoxicated. I assured him she was not---there was no odor of alcohol nor was she inebriated. I wish the police had interviewed him.
    All in all, I maintained my temper and did not draw nor escalate a ridiculous situation. I sought to remove myself, but unfortunately was unable to. I'm more upset with the Sergeant who seemed to see me as the instigator. If you've all made it this far and wouldn't mind giving younger INGOer some advice I would greatly appreciate it.

1. As I am due to be hired at the PCSD, should I place a call to administration on Monday and advise, just in case there was a report filed? My primary concern is that this will cost me a job that I am SO close to being hired for (~2 months).

2. Was there anything AT ALL that I should have done differently?

3. I will be meeting with my apartment manager on Monday to discuss this. My lease is not due to be completed until 7/31/10 due to a 3month laziness regarding the filing of the paperwork in their error. Ironically, just today I have found another apartment and would like to move there 5/2010. Should I request an early lease-termination with no repercussions?

Thanks for reading!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Here's an idea quit pulling your gun out unless your going to shoot someone. It will cut down on the drama in your life and ingo's

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    huh.........i would leave Valpo. i have heard nothing but complaints from some folks that live out there. although, i must say one of our mods is from valpo and i'm sure hes the best they've got. i don't know but i could have gone really bad really quick. sounds like the officers were pretty tolerant but i would watch closely those that live around you. yeah, file for the early termination and get the hell outta dodge!

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    He said he DIDNT pull it out.

Its his right to carry. There are alot of people with psych problems. Scary to have to pull on a crazy person. You cant reason at all with them when they are screaming. MOVE MAN< MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Time to get the hell outta there. Pay a little more for a better area to live in.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've lived in places similar to yours. If the apartment management won't do anything about the parking situation, you're kind of shafted.
    After that situation, I wouldn't be willing to move my car to accomodate their needs, in fact the next time they are parking in more than one spot I'd be tempted to call the management to have them towed.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Low income housing in Valpo? I didn't know that existed. I have always thought of Valpo as upscale, although Fetlas is as far into Valpo I have ever been and that has been many years. Whenever I hear about Valpo I start having memories of the old Fetlas.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    These are just my opinions so take them with a grain of salt please

1. id get out of there as soon as possible so you dont have to shoot someone or be shot yourself by a looney.

2. i wouldnt have stayed and taken a verbal bashing from a crazy old bag. i would have got as quickly to my car and back inside my appartment as possible to not let her get her way. cause basicly all the old man did was lead you into a hornets nest and he probly knew it. leave the situation, if its escalated it will only get worse with time. the police know how to knock on your door if they need to talk to you.

3. i wouldnt have even came close to drawing my weapon. an old looney bag in my face and 10 currious neighbors still isnt justification to even look like your gonna draw.

4. i also dont agree with you unloading your gun and putting it in your car. heres the reasons. one, you dont even wanna touch your gun while carrying during a altercation unless your gonna use it, cause it could have looked like you were gonna go postal on your neighbors. they and the police dont know if your loading or unloading, they just see you playing with a gun. two, just because the police show up dont mean you might not have to still defend yourself if a neighbor starts shooting, you just disarmed yourself. you werent doing anything wrong, you just kinda made yourself look guilty, like maybe you were hiding your weapon. (not saying you were, im just talking about perception of dumb people watching) Three, why go spread eagle on your trunk and make yourself apear to be a criminal infront of your neighbors?

conclusion: if your in the right then maintain your confidence, stand up straght, look people in the eye, and dont show fear. Next time walk away, heck i probly would have just left my car parked as is as soon as the loon started yelling at me and went inside. dont sweat the report. you werent wrong and its not gonna get you fired.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    you should have just moved your car and went on about your buisness an ignored the lady.
    why in the h@!! would you take a defensive stance? I mean really? on a old crippled lady?
    Dude you might want to re-think what you are doing
    just move out and move on

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    First of all, I would certainly say that you did not necessarilly do anything wrong, but look at what YOU said: "I pulled my coat away and put my left hand out and ordered him to stop." and "I am holding my left hand out and backing up yelling 'maintain your distance! Stay Back maam!'" It appears in both cases your gun was exposed and your actual intent could be confusing to an onlooker.

Now, in either case were you afraid of actual bodily harm? Okay, a possible one-on-one fight with a "gangbanger" and another with an elderly person. It would appear to an outsider that you are possibly a little paranoid; however, there are definitely two sides to the story.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Sounds to me like a case of Quick Draw McGraw. Your not a cop yet, and barking orders like you are one doesn't set well with lower income people who are not afraid of the law anyway. They don't respect the law, they definitely won't respect you if you are trying to manipulate the situation. You probably should have just moseyed right on along and went back in your place of residence, ignoring the wheelchair lady, thanking the gentleman for attending to the issue, and bidding goodnight. They would have went right on back in their shell. Now, you have created a scene, and you KNOW they all have 24 hours a day to sit around, smoke, and tell stories about the happenings of your apartment complex. You have created a name for yourself, and it's probably "Wanna-Be" or something of the likes.

I don't know you at all, but the tone of your story sorta implies that you are LOOKING for a situation.

Better get the hell out of there and lay low for awhile. Think about all of the reasons why you SHOULDN'T draw your weapon, instead of why you might need to.

JMO.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I understand. For those who care to know, it is the Hunters Pointe complex. It's the worst of the worst. Valpo PD has scheduled times to drive through every day. It's that rough. My primary concern now is possibly losing a job I have lined up. I don't know how damaging a report would be if it were filed, and the only reason I'm concerned is that the Sergeant seemed to think I was the instigator.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    You don't always get the answer you want, especially when you ask for them. It takes two to tango, and you should have been the bigger man and just parked the way you should have. The people that are in Gov. Sub. Housing are usually there for a reason. I know, I live in the Evansville Projects for three years after I got out of the Navy, talk about a culture shock. Dude, I was eating so many s**t sandwiches, just trying to avoid any confrontation with the crack head, food stamp tradin' losers around me. You obviously have something going for yourself or else the Sheriffs Department wouldn't even be considering you. Sometimes you just have to take one across the face and "remember" where it came from.

I don't have memory for the Bible verses, but the one about turning the other cheek seems to work here. The friggin whack jobs around you have two things on their mind, where are they getting their next fix from, and who can I sue today.

Remember, the state of Indiana has declared you as "being a proper person" don't mess it up because of crack head Joe.

Breath, and think about what will be lost if you let them goad you into something.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Hmmmmm let me guess you live off of Vale Park Road.....

Great area of Valpo!!

**** happens, I would have ignored the woman.

No disrespect meant by this but if I had to guess you are under 30 right??

Top Bottom