• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    From some quick searching, it appears that this isn't a real uncommon sighting. I guess they do it mostly at night to recover from exhaustion.

Right, just like at the end of yoga class when you do your inversions to clean the organs and recharge the batteries.

*sips bong water*

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Your picture was upside down! He's really pecking at your roof. :laugh:

B598B26A-DD20-4CB9-AACD-A24CB5C3C4B6-4396-000004596B108973.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I backed up to see if I could get the 3-4 in the frame and did get 3 for a moment. I'm guessing we've got at least 10-20 hummers the way these things buzz around here. It's like watching old ww2 dogfights.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm guessing that feeder would hold 16 oz. they can have it drained in a day or 2 and we have 3 of those feeders plus 3 big ones on shepherds hooks.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Of course they don't sit still long - they have a VERY high metabolism. Heart rate is around 1000 beats/minute - feels like a buzzer in your hand. They use up fuel so fast that every evening they have to go into semi-hibernation (torpor) or they would starve to death before morning. Amazing little creatures. Great pics.

JP2611

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    We have a feeder where my Father can watch them from his wheel chair, and the "dogfight" action gets pretty intense some evenings. Dad says that during the day they don't fight over the feeder so much. We will be adding more feeders next year.

Would post Pics but not quite sure how to do it. Usually just, "insert image"....

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    We have a feeder where my Father can watch them from his wheel chair, and the "dogfight" action gets pretty intense some evenings. Dad says that during the day they don't fight over the feeder so much. We will be adding more feeders next year.

Would post Pics but not quite sure how to do it. Usually just, "insert image"....
    My mom had feeders outside her window and loved to watch them too, she would call me and tell me of all the fighting and when she needed more food. It's so special for me to have them now because Mom isn't here anymore and I feel like I am sharing a moment with her when I see the bird out there eating

JP2611

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    My mom had feeders outside her window and loved to watch them too, she would call me and tell me of all the fighting and when she needed more food. It's so special for me to have them now because Mom isn't here anymore and I feel like I am sharing a moment with her when I see the bird out there eating

Can well understand..I moved mom and dad in with me about 3 years ago...mom passed about 6 months later. She so enjoyed the birds and watching the pond....and now dad does as well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    It's a little known fact that hummingbirds cannot sneeze. The upside down behavior manifests when the nectar juice runs down their long noses. it's the only way they can clear their snouts of hummingbird juice........ You don't believe me? Look it up! um...err.... somewhere. (Wikipedia?)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

I've only seen one here.. I;m happy with one..

A penny from heaven?

DEAR ABBY: I often read letters in your column you refer to as "Pennies From Heaven." I have something I'd like to share with you.
    I believe that I have received such gifts from my older brother, Shane, who passed away as an infant. I found one the other day that can't be explained away as anything but a penny from heaven.
    As I was about to leave for my morning commute to work, I went out to the garage where I keep my bike, helmet and biking gloves. As I pulled my glove on, I found -- you guessed it! -- a penny was lodged in the little finger. I never keep money where these gloves are, so I can only guess that Shane put it there for me. -- LOVED LITTLE SISTER IN INDIANA
    DEAR LOVED LITTLE SISTER: The penny may indeed have been a token of your angel brother's affection. Keep it for luck while you're on the road, and pedal on with confidence knowing you're being lovingly watched over from above.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My wife has seen this happen several times today and I just saw one perch, eat, flutter it's wings and tip back. I walked out with the camera to see how close I could get to it but I think my lab spooked it. It tips back in slow motion. We had tons of hummingbirds last year and we never saw this and now the last 2 days, we're seeing it a bunch. Here's a pic my wife snapped earlier.

4abd48a927e088c8ec9f2056227e2298.jpg

Top Bottom