• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I know there is just a TON of knowledge in this place and I hope to tap into that if you all will allow me.

My wife and I "survived" just over 4 hours without power tonight, (First-world problems, yeah, I know). It was uncomfortable because my spoiled butt is used to playing WGT a fair part of the day, watching my favorite television shows, (thank goodness the Blacklist still recorded to the DVR even with the power out), and just otherwise being pretty darned comfortable. But as we sat in the semi-dark and sipped wine, we talked about what things we might purchase, and learn to do, in order to be better prepared in the event of the next minor inconvenience to stay more comfortable. But beyond that, it got me thinking about provisions for a more extended time without power or worse.

I guess I would see events categorized as something like a few hours to a few days without power, then next something like a week to a few months without basic conveniences, then would come apocalyptic events.

For the first category, what are the things to have on hand? My wife mentioned small fans that plug into the USB port of a charged smart phone or laptop. We already have a couple of portable charging devices that we used tonight to start charging out phones and they also have the ability to use as a flashlight. Even though the lights are back on, I`m finishing charging my phone with one. I have space blankets in the event it`s cold, but nothing to help keep cool. What else do I need to think about being able to provide?

I suppose for the intermediate timeframe, we would leave and go to a place that isn`t affected. Get a hotel or the like.

For a longer-term, apocalyptic type event, I only have a few items. I have a couple of buckets of the freeze dried survival food that are nearing the end of their 25 year shelf life. I will probably replace them. I have a couple of Life-Straws, but that`s all in the way of water purification tools. I have a small first-aid kit to which I`ve added quick-clot in the event of a major bleed.

Honestly, I`m not only a complete novice at this, but my budget is prohibitive. I have some things that I use when deer hunting; knives, lights, etc., but I`m not really prepared for4 a 4-hour deal without power, much less a real serious event.

What advice do you have?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you have any Milwaukee battery tools, Amazon sells a Chinese fan/light that will run off of your M18 battery. Almost as important as the fan and light is that is has a USB port that will charge your phone.

Great way to take full advantage of the battery you are likely not using. I bet they make similar devices like these for other popular tool batteries? Dewalt, Makita?

20230630_013106.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Welcome to the jungle.

4 HOURS. Go to a movie and have a date night.

4 DAYS. A gas powered generator with enough gas to keep it running.

4 MONTHS. A solar generator field and off grid battery supply.

4 YEARS. Become Amish.

4 DECADES. There is power at the gulag just get in the rail car and wear this badge.

PERSONALLY when you put down the controller and the remote control let me know and I will be more than happy to help you out.

THE above might be a nice 30 of the U TUBES to use as a starting point.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Being rural and power not reliable for a long time here a generator to keep food cold, freeEr going, water flowing has been a staple for a while. Also keeping enough food and supplies to last at least two weeks. No, I’m not prepping for collapse. Just normal life when things get sucky from Mother Nature.

Honestly , things get bad enough that anything more than 4 weeks is a certainty it’s going to be tough for everyone. Expect things to go downhill fast

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'm going on 18 hours with no power thanks to yesterday's storms. A few months ago, it was 66 hours before it came back on.

Years ago, I added a generator inlet and a panel interlock switch. My Harbor Freight 9500 can't be heard from the road and it'll run everything in the house.

Nothing, nothing beats a whole house generator. Every 18 hours I top off the fuel and that's it...

The only thing better would be a Generac with an auto transfer switch, but I'm not adding a large propane tank just for that.

If you're on a budget (and have a gas furnace), the Harbor Freight 3500 would do the trick.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Gens make noise and in some situations. could attract wrong attention.

Short term, your food will be OK if you don't open the doors on the fridge, freezer. Leave them SHUT.

They are getting hard to find, but the old school big flashlights that take the lantern batteries are awesome.
    I also have a D cell flashlight, and plenty of D cells.
    For longer outages, I have a coleman lantern.
    Water, MREs, basic supplies that don't need power. For a couple weeks worth.
    Stashed rolls of USGI Razor wire for security in longer outages.
    Heat wise, I have a secondary coal stove that is set up for Anthracite (Can get it at tractor supply). GASP, the Eco Nuts are WRONG when they say no one burns coal in Marion County anymore. I DO!
    Cooling wise, SUCK IT UP.. find a cool place in the shade on the porch and relax.
    I have portable ham radios with good batteries. For something to do I turn those on an listen to the storm net, or the railroad. Listening to the railroad find all the down trees is entertaining.
    Fell asleep on the couch for a while listening to the radio with an M4 on my lap.. woke up anytime I heard so much as a squirrel cut out. Always be vigilant.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    For a limited budget you must start with a priority list

buy what you need to survive immediately, then as funds allow buy for longer duration. You also want to get multiple ways to do these things.
    water bottles, gallons, tablets, life straws etc. matches, lighters,
    Ferrocerium rod and so on. Don’t rely on a single source

water
    food
    protection
    clothing
    Ability to change your micro climate
    light
    communication
    power
    food growth

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    We did about 48 hours without power after the storms in Texas 2 weeks ago. Generator runs the freezers, and small window unit. Heat index was north of 110.
    Neighbor got power after 20 hours, so I ran hoses to his well house, for cold, refreshing showers. Lol!

As mentioned up thread, cordless tool batteries can be life savers, and can be recharged via the vehicles.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    We've got some limited camping stuff. Solar battery generator for small stuff - mostly good for just personal electronics.

I really want to get a gas generator for the freezer stuff. We've got a lot of time and money invested in freezer foods.

Beyond 4 weeks and you're going to have to plan for roving bands of looters. Get a rifle and suppressor. Thermal if you have it. It would be unbelievably dark if the country was without power for.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also, Gallon jugs of water.
    Store excess full drinking water jugs in the back of the fridge.
    Drain some jugs down to 3/4 gallon and put those in the freezers.

The more thermal mass you have in the fridge/freezer, the longer the food stays cold. And you are going to have prep water on hand anyway, right? Right? So why not save some closet space and put them to work.

And when you restock and need more room, just take the jugs out and put them back in the closet with their brethren until its time to backfill again.

Two birds with one stone and all that.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Seems like the #1 item for the OP is a sizable gas or diesel powered generator to keep all his appliances and entertainment devices up and running. And, of course, be ready for SHTF with appropriate armaments.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A big part of preparedness is lifestyle changes.

I laughed this morning listening to Kendal and Casey. The couple were talking about their power going out and scrambling to see "if they had" a flashlight in a drawer or something. :scratch:

I had a giant treetop in my yard to cut up yesterday. Had to get chainsaw and related from powerless barns. No digging up a flashlight here. I just reached in my pocket and got the Olight that's always there. :dunno:

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... What advice do you have?

Change your priorities (bwframe calls it "lifestyle changes" in previous post - similar). Suggestions for which "survival things" to buy isn't the complete answer. Become tougher and more resilient, and think about knowledge, skills, tools, and supplies.

An aside - Took my wife on a date last night and the restaurants were packed, all of them it seemed. It was nuts. Ex. TX Roadhouse lot was completely full, not a spot, people parking across the street, etc. On a Thursday night. Weird.

Then it dawned on me, most of these people were without power. They couldn't 't use their microwave or electric range. Maybe they didn't want to even open the fridge/freezer (to keep the cold air in). Sooo, they all went out to eat (seems like it in my area at least).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Seems like the #1 item for the OP is a sizable gas or diesel powered generator to keep all his appliances and entertainment devices up and running. And, of course, be ready for SHTF with appropriate armaments.
    OP could also pare down critical gear.
    I'm toying with wiring in an auto battery on my cheap UPS that runs my main network enclosure. that will keep my modem, switch, router and 1 AP live for a LONG time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Change your priorities (bwframe calls it "lifestyle changes" in previous post - similar). Suggestions for which "survival things" to buy isn't the complete answer. Become tougher and more resilient, and think about knowledge, skills, tools, and supplies.

An aside - Took my wife on a date last night and the restaurants were packed, all of them it seemed. It was nuts. Ex. TX Roadhouse lot was completely full, not a spot, people parking across the street, etc. On a Thursday night. Weird.

Then it dawned on me, most of these people were without power. They couldn't 't use their microwave or electric range. Maybe they didn't want to even open the fridge/freezer (to keep the cold air in). Sooo, they all went out to eat (seems like it in my area at least).

Or just bored.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Full-on prepping is almost a lifestyle,
    and can be quite daunting.
    Start with small scenarios, and priorities. Set a realistic goal like surviving two weeks without power.
    With electricity being out in suburbia, heat or cold are not as important — heat you can survive, cold you can bundle up.
    Water would be the main problem. Unless you have a clean stream in your backyard, store enough drinking water for your household for two weeks.
    To keep freezers cold, I’m considering a battery bank and a small portable solar panel to charge it. Still looking into the details.
    Food prep, a small wood stove for just one pot.
    And enough guns, ammo and training to keep it all safe.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you have any Milwaukee battery tools, Amazon sells a Chinese fan/light that will run off of your M18 battery. Almost as important as the fan and light is that is has a USB port that will charge your phone.

Great way to take full advantage of the battery you are likely not using. I bet they make similar devices like these for other popular tool batteries? Dewalt, Makita?

View attachment 284130

Glad I thought to buy a second one of these. Warm enough tonight to be just uncomfortable. Might have to use the light or phone charger before its all over. I do have multiples of both of those though.

REMC outage map...
    Screenshot_20230701-024552_Chrome.jpg

To add another thought. Put stuff on your Amazon wish list, better yet make a dedicated list for preparedness that you can watch for price fluctuations and sales. Prime day coming up in a week or two...

Top Bottom