• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This. With the understanding I didn't read the entire response, I understand people get into guns for different reasons. Some people are serious about defensive use, some pretend to be but are fooling themselves (or spouses) and really just want to play with a bunch of toys, and some are quite honest they just want to play with guns. Somebody out there probably makes little shoe box dioramas and poses their collection. Whatevs.
    My advice to someone who's serious would be different than someone who just wants to take a bunch of stuff to the range and make noise. A universal holster of lousy design is fine for the second guy. Why bother investing in quality gear when you're going to constantly flip? Get your Uncle Mike's Universal Sausage Sack and carry on.

1. My original question and reason for my thread:
    Urban Carry G2 holster: anyone?
    Anyone know anything about this holster?
    I have a version of this type of holster but this one seems even more efficient.
    https://urbancarryholsters.com/
    https://urbancarryholsters.com/urban...-build-g2.html
    https://urbancarryholsters.com/urban...-build-g2.html

2. I'm fortunate that I'm a member of this wonderful Gun Club and thought I'd ask a question about a holster that looked interesting.
    3. I have appreciated the input to warn me away from said holster for reasons beyond my limited experience.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    They have 5 different sizes that handle a 1000 guns, which I like that approach so much better than a specific holster for only a few guns.
    One holster will fit not only my main CC, but 3 others that could be in the rotation, depending on whether going with revolver, semi-auto and etc.
    Even on my my larger framed will fit into the one I would get.
    If I wanted to go down as small as the Glock 42 for a CC, or up to a larger CC to a FNS-9, or Ruger P89 would I have to get different holsters.
    Since the 42 is addressed well in my DeSanti Superfly pocket holster I don't need to go down that road, and if I ever got to the point where I felt the need for more than 5 shots (semi-autos hold 8 & 11) I'd simply have to get a bigger holster to house it (15-17 rounds).

For most people, I'd say to avoid it. It's a bad design that's got all the disadvantages of a deep conceal holster without actually being deep conceal, is a lousy fighting holster, and anything that's "universal" means it fits nothing correctly and lots of things so-so.

For someone who's much more interested in flipping carry guns constantly rather than being serious about defensive use, it's perfect.

Any kind of a one size fits all holster is generally a bad idea.

I agree... one size fits all is just not good and asking for trouble and for it not to do anything particularly well. One size fits many (unless it is like Glock or M&P holsters where they are essentially the same gun and all measurements except slide/barrel length) are also a bad idea in my mind. Buy/make/have made, a holster specific to your gun for retention purposes and get serious about how you carry. For me that is a good IWB hybrid holster, specifically fit to the gun I am carrying. Also, buy a spare of the holster or at least have extra jclips, etc for the holster, etc for it in case one breaks, that way you are not down and out if something happens.

While we are at it, buy a decent belt that is up to the task.

Once you find the right combo of gun, belt and holster, it all becomes so much easier. Also, I don't want to think about what holster I am wearing when I need to draw. I'm pretty much using the same style, if not same exact brand, etc of holster and same with gun, when I carry. Maybe others can do it, but this constant changing from day to day is not something I can or want to keep up with in a stressful situation.

In a holster, I'm looking for good retention, proper trigger coverage, comfortable, sturdy and not likely to loose it's shape, etc. I have no problem with a gun digging into me, etc with my hybrid IWB holsters. I can carry them when wearing dress clothes, down to shorts and a tshirt. I have worn it driving the entire time down to FL, mowing the grass, fishing or at Christmas dinner. When I carry Glocks, the same holster fits (17/19/26) all except the 43, which I have an identical make of holster for that fits it. Same for the M&P's (can carry full size, compact 2.0, etc in same holster).

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    1. I don't have one; I was just asking feedback from those that had experience with them. :coffee:
    I know you don’t have one YET, but since I spoke up in this thread against it, I just assumed you went out and got one. As BBI said, if you’re not serious about defensive gun use, this holster will work fine. Once you’ve had a carry gun for more than a couple of weeks, and really start to learn it, rather than include it in the range trip with 20 other guns every time you go, you’ll see the value of wisdom from experience.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I know you don’t have one YET, but since I spoke up in this thread against it, I just assumed you went out and got one. As BBI said, if you’re not serious about defensive gun use, this holster will work fine. Once you’ve had a carry gun for more than a couple of weeks, and really start to learn it, rather than include it in the range trip with 20 other guns every time you go, you’ll see the value of wisdom from experience.

1. I went back and checked my old threads and it was on 7.11.2017 last summer that I bought my S/W 642 hammerless for a CC, and I have never changed from that.
    2. I had previously bought a Charter Arms 5 shot revolver in the previous May when I began my journey and upgraded to the Smith upon advice from this site.
    3. The revolver has always been my "serious" CC, with the semi-autos being "just-for-fun" since I had nearly nonexistent experience with them.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Since your are on pain meds; let me suggest something outside of your comfort zone.

If you’re committed to a J frame; treat it to a top end holster.

Start with Milt Sparks. Expensive. Worth it.

Take your meds. Get credit card out. Wait a few months. It’ll be worth it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    1. I went back and checked my old threads and it was on 7.11.2017 last summer that I bought my S/W 642 hammerless for a CC, and I have never changed from that.
    2. I had previously bought a Charter Arms 5 shot revolver in the previous May when I began my journey and upgraded to the Smith upon advice from this site.
    3. The revolver has always been my "serious" CC, with the semi-autos being "just-for-fun" since I had nearly nonexistent experience with them.
    Have you once been to the range and drawn it from concealment and fired it? Added any time constraints or other stressors? Fired to empty, reloaded and fired again under time?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Since your are on pain meds; let me suggest something outside of your comfort zone.

1. I will check into it this evening.

Have you once been to the range and drawn it from concealment and fired it? Added any time constraints or other stressors? Fired to empty, reloaded and fired again under time?

2. Point Blank Range in Carmel or Greenwood, as well as Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield did not allow drawing from a holster and shooting.
    3. I suspect someone shot themselves or the another guy when doing so.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    1. I will check into it this evening.

2. Point Blank Range in Carmel or Greenwood, as well as Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield did not allow drawing from a holster and shooting.
    3. I suspect someone shot themselves or the another guy when doing so.
    So the answer is NO? You carry a 642 for “serious” defensive use, yet have not even tested your equipment? There are other ranges such as Deer Creek in Cloverdale that allow something other than stand and deliver paper punching. Hence comments about serious use.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So the answer is NO? You carry a 642 for “serious” defensive use, yet have not even tested your equipment? There are other ranges such as Deer Creek in Cloverdale that allow something other than stand and deliver paper punching. Hence comments about serious use.

1. No, I do not meet criteria for "serious" defense use, again: no! I have stated that before.
    2. I have a gun in my pocket that I can use if forced to do so but I will not be out-drawing a bad guy with a gun on me or taking out multiple subjects.
    3. If I am in that situation: I am dead.
    4. I have picked a simple defense weapon with obvious limitations of 5 rounds. I have practiced shooting it. I have practiced its extraction from my DeSanti Superfly holster that is obviously sold to other idiots like me using small weapons with slow access to b/c of reaching in a pocket instead of drawing from a holster on a belt.
    5. If a second counts: I'm dead. I know that. It has been spelled out!

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    1. No, I do not meet criteria for "serious" defense use, again: no! I have stated that before.
    2. I have a gun in my pocket that I can use if forced to do so but I will not be out-drawing a bad guy with a gun on me or taking out multiple subjects.
    4. I have picked a simple defense weapon with obvious limitations of 5 rounds. I have practiced shooting it. I have practiced its extraction from my DeSanti Superfly holster that is obviously sold to other idiots like me using small weapons with slow access to b/c of reaching in a pocket instead of drawing from a holster on a belt.
    5. If a second counts: I'm dead. I know that. It has been spelled out!

I’m just curious as to why you go out in the world, carrying a gun for self defense knowing that you are already dead? Why even carry at all?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Hey, mcapo, I was looking at those very nice top end holsters, and saw some interesting pieces, but things went south for me with some health issues, and I spent until now (5:15 am with no sleep dealing with them) so I didn't get a chance to follow up with them.
    2. I'm going to try to get some sleep. Don't worry about the health issues: under control now.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ]1. No, I do not meet criteria for "serious" defense use, again: no! I have stated that before.

Which is why I gave you the answer I did. What difference does it make what you carry in if it's for feel goods and/or play time?

I can't imagine carrying a deadly weapon with the mindset of "if I face this, I'm dead." I can't begin to understand anyone, instead of trying to learn to survive, just shrugging and losing the fight before it starts. Software matters so much more than hardware. Take a snub nose specific class up at Sand Burr so you've got the fundamentals correct, then look at a tactics and techniques type class. Read some survivor personality/combat mindset books and apply them. That's being serious and giving yourself the best odds of prevailing in a deadly force situation. What holster you pick isn't particularly relevant at this point.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I don't need to defend BBI but I doubt he was criticizing your flipping guns as a hobby. My guess it is when it comes to the firearm you are going to carry for personal protection of yourself and possibly others that he might have a little concern.

Owning a carry gun for a year and saying that I haven't flipped it but will when something better comes along, to me, isn't a long enough time for a carry gun. I have had two guns I carry for personal protection in my life. And my ratio in years of number 1 to number 2 has been about 30:3. And I kinda wish I didn't make the change 3 years ago.

Sure, I have fun buying and selling firearms, like you but when it comes to my carry piece, I don't change. I practice with it and practice with it so that it is so familiar to me I could work it blindfolded including stripping it down and putting it back together.

Full disclosure: I am thinking of buying a do all pistol that I can carry, take classes and shoot IDPA. Then I would be even that much more familiar with it and would only take 1 gun to the range for practice. Just kinda mulling that idea around in my mind.:)

:shady:
    Psst pstt hey.... I got what your lookin for

J56XPR0.jpg

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Which is why I gave you the answer I did. What difference does it make what you carry in if it's for feel goods and/or play time?

I can't imagine carrying a deadly weapon with the mindset of "if I face this, I'm dead." I can't begin to understand anyone, instead of trying to learn to survive, just shrugging and losing the fight before it starts. Software matters so much more than hardware. Take a snub nose specific class up at Sand Burr so you've got the fundamentals correct, then look at a tactics and techniques type class. Read some survivor personality/combat mindset books and apply them. That's being serious and giving yourself the best odds of prevailing in a deadly force situation. What holster you pick isn't particularly relevant at this point.

I know doddg has mentioned formerly collecting comics and cars. Carrying a gun without being capable, confident and effective with it strikes me as collecting cars without being able to drive, or comics whithout being able to read.

Collecting to collect is fine, but if you are going to carry or have a weapon for home defense you really should select one or two weapons and invest the time to become
    Highly proficient with them and invest in the proper quality support gear for them (mags, holsters, ammo, light, whatever)

Top Bottom