US Army developing a new hand grenade...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I'm glad it goes bang. I was afraid that the primary requirement was going to be that it not contribute to global warming and not hurt Gaia.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    "War Is Boring reports that the Army’s current M67 grenade was designed for right-handed soldiers, so left-handed troops are trained to flip the grenade upside and hold the safety lever down with their left thumb, while pulling out the ring with the opposite hand."

I didn't do that. I turned the grenade 180, and pulled the pin.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I get the feeling that a grenade that can be switched from concussion to fragmentation with a switch won't be much good at either.

Why not just design a new concussion grenade? Or, as done by the German and Soviets in WWI and WWII, make the main grenades concussive and have an optional fragmentation sleeve that could be added.

Oh, and the left/right situation could easily be resolved by mounting the pullring system to the top of the fuse instead of on the side leaving it accessible with the spoon positioned in any which direction. Looks like what they may have done in the image.

I'm not saying these aren't problems they're tackling, but I believe they could tackle them in much more efficient and cost effective ways.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Does that mean the older model will soon available on Ebay????

Also I'm no grenade expert and I didn't know there was any issues with left handed poeple.
    I assume left handed people are pretty much used to work around stuff design for right handed people, included grenades.:dunno:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    "War Is Boring reports that the Army’s current M67 grenade was designed for right-handed soldiers, so left-handed troops are trained to flip the grenade upside and hold the safety lever down with their left thumb, while pulling out the ring with the opposite hand."

images

It has been a long time, I am a righty so no problemo, as I remember southies did just as rookie has said.

Edit BTW there are picks with the pull ring on both sides on the interwebs, but this is the out of the box configuration.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

You're such a rebel

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    images

It has been a long time, I am a righty so no problemo, as I remember southies did just as rookie has said.

Edit BTW there are picks with the pull ring on both sides on the interwebs, but this is the out of the box configuration.

If you're a leftie and are issued grenades with the pin in that position, can't you just remove the pin and place it on the other side?
    Maybe it's too risky to do just to be a bit more convenient.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If you're a leftie and are issued grenades with the pin in that position, can't you just remove the pin and place it on the other side?
    Maybe it's too risky to do just to be a bit more convenient.
    Definitely too risky. I've put the pin back on inert grenades before, and trying to fish the often bent pin through both holes is worse than threading a needle.

They could switch the side of the pin from the factory but that opens up logistics issues.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Well, you were obviously doing it wrong.

Top Bottom