US Destroyer and Japanese merchant collide, 7 missing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks to all of you navy guys for your insight.

I take back every bad thing I've ever sais about you rust picken, deck swabin', sqiids and bubble heads too.

Looking at the GPS tracking it almost lloks like the container ship attempted and succeded in atacking the destroyer.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

I take back every bad thing I've ever sais about you rust picken, deck swabin', sqiids and bubble heads too.

Looking at the GPS tracking it almost lloks like the container ship attempted and succeded in atacking the destroyer.

How hard is it to hack an autopilot? They were fairly close to N Korea

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How hard is it to hack an autopilot? They were fairly close to N Korea

Think more deeply about the problem, doc. Not only does the container ship turn, but it alters course and speed to strike another ship which is itself smaller and also a moving target. To pull that off you would have to take real-time control of the ships navigation, know that a particular ship was US military, and steer this lumbering, slow to accelerate 'weapon' into a collision. And every man on that bridge and probably on that ship would know she was turning hard and accelerating hard as soon as it started to happen. Those with command responsibility not on the bridge would certainly be headed there after the first turn commenced, yet no one intervened

I'm inclined to believe deliberate action by the crew of some sort, based on what little I know so far

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    19148964_1581648875178755_6249250330733306125_n.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Flagged Philippine, but operated by a Japanese company, Nippon Yusen K.K.

The crew is probably from a third country, or a bunch of different countries like it's often the case.

I doubt it has anything to do with WW2 and Japanese citizens wanted to hurt US sailors.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

Think more deeply about the problem, doc. Not only does the container ship turn, but it alters course and speed to strike another ship which is itself smaller and also a moving target. To pull that off you would have to take real-time control of the ships navigation, know that a particular ship was US military, and steer this lumbering, slow to accelerate 'weapon' into a collision. And every man on that bridge and probably on that ship would know she was turning hard and accelerating hard as soon as it started to happen. Those with command responsibility not on the bridge would certainly be headed there after the first turn commenced, yet no one intervened

I'm inclined to believe deliberate action by the crew of some sort, based on what little I know so far
    The article I read suggested that the reported time of the collision was inaccurate. It hypothesized that the collision happened earlier while the ship was on auto-pilot with no one on the bridge. The autopilot corrected for the collision and continued on its way until the crew could get to the bridge and turn the ship around to see what they hit. Only time will tell what really happened.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I know I'm late to this, but with the damage to the US ship on the starboard side, and the damage to the container ship on the bow/port side (from the pic that I saw), it seems very peculiar.

As I've said to many people over the years, just being in the military has its own dangers. Training accidents, accidental accidents, and generally doing dangerous things with dangerous things makes for a dangerous work environment. Doesn't matter to me if a service member has been "in country" somewhere, the jobs are dangerous all on their own.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I know I'm late to this, but with the damage to the US ship on the starboard side, and the damage to the container ship on the bow/port side (from the pic that I saw), it seems very peculiar.

As I've said to many people over the years, just being in the military has its own dangers. Training accidents, accidental accidents, and generally doing dangerous things with dangerous things makes for a dangerous work environment. Doesn't matter to me if a service member has been "in country" somewhere, the jobs are dangerous all on their own.
    Based on the pics in Sylvain's link in post two and the track of the Crystal, it looks to me like the Crystal was overtaking the Fitzgerald and came in from behind at a shallow angle. The track also makes me really think the crew of the Crystal was definitely not on the bridge and was possibly heavily intoxicated.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

I made eight cruises, of at least six months duration, while I was in. We lost someone on every cruise except one. We lost people on some of the countless shorter underway periods as well. There are never any guarantees.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I made eight cruises, of at least six months duration, while I was in. We lost someone on every cruise except one. We lost people on some of the countless shorter underway periods as well. There are never any guarantees.

It was harder for us to lose someone underwater. Although they couldn't find me one time when I fell asleep on a steam pipe, and they searched the sub.
    But.... on the surface, wow was it dangerous. We were literally just feet off the water's surface.

Top Bottom