• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I've been to a couple of Guy Relford, the Gun Guy and 2nd Amendment attorney, and have listened to him explain Indiana Self-Defense and Gun Law...and it's interesting to hear it from an attorney's viewpoint, for what they have to go through with the courts vs what the average Joe Citizen thinks is the right viewpoint when it comes to self-defense. Guy Relford, I believe is, one of the attorneys in the system for USCCA??? But, knowing the laws first...that's still the best defense...knowing what you can do vs cannot do, along with the when, where, what, and how that goes along with it...BEFORE you get into a situation where you could be deemed 'wrong' in what you did.
    As they say...ignorance is not an excuse.
    I`ve heard it said that the only gunfight you really ever win is the one you`re not in.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Apparently you need a lawyer to go through your contract with your carry insurance carrier?

:scratch:

This guy is particularly negative about the USCCA's 'coverage' policy...but he is not complete in his presentation of the USCCA program, which selects and approves attorneys to represent clients involved in self-defense situations...not for general attorney representation for overall criminal behavior! That would only be accomplished by an individual keeping an defense attorney on retainer. General criminal behavior, and any ensuing convictions, are not covered under the policy, and I don't believe any 'self-defense' program would consider coverage for any 'criminal' act to be deemed coverable under a self-defense designed policy. Bottom line, don't be out breaking the law!
    It's important to note that this J-A is representative of a law firm that only operates in Arizona and Hawaii...and if you purchase their program, but live in another state, the coverage is not in effect!
    People will do anything to get their face posted online and hear their own voice speak!

Last edited:

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Links? I was a member of USCCA and recently switched to CCW. I'm less concerned about the "best" than I am about it being effective. Thing others kept bringing up to me was the USCCA "recoup" of costs should you agree to settle for a lessor charge.

I may be wrong, but doesn't a plea deal for a lesser charge happen relatively early on in the proceedings? Like when the DA figures he has no case but thinks he can browbeat you into it?
    I'm saying, before the legal costs of going to trial, and presenting a defense really start to escalate.
    You know in your heart whether it was a good shoot or not, and whether to plead out or stand your ground.
    These insurance policies are specifically to help prevent having to take a plea, when your actions were justified, due to financial constraints.
    They give you the wherewithal to hold out for your "day in court".

winchester4440

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2021
    Evansville, IN
    The one thing I'm hesitant about with USLS is that they assign the attorney rather than letting you pick your own.

They don't even publish a list of attorneys in your area that they use, so there's no way to know how competent they are in self defense law, which many are not, because it isn't even taught in law school.

dlandersson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2019
    Hammond
    I may be wrong, but doesn't a plea deal for a lesser charge happen relatively early on in the proceedings? Like when the DA figures he has no case but thinks he can browbeat you into it?
    I'm saying, before the legal costs of going to trial, and presenting a defense really start to escalate.
    You know in your heart whether it was a good shoot or not, and whether to plead out or stand your ground.
    These insurance policies are specifically to help prevent having to take a plea, when your actions were justified, due to financial constraints.
    They give you the wherewithal to hold out for your "day in court".
    "You know in your heart whether it was a good shoot or not, and whether to plead out or stand your ground." - that may not play well with a "jury of my peers". 15 years ago I settled a speeding ticket (alleged) down to a parking ticket (no points off my license) because as my attorney said "the prosecutor is going to want something. ;)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    In Indiana and Kentucky the attorney for US Lawshield is Marc Halta. I have talked with him a couple of times and he seems like a nice, knowledgeable person. I would have no problems calling him.

Guy Relford is mentioned frequently as well. Having taken his class he would be my wife’s choice.

The problem becomes out of state. You are you going to call after a self defense situation while on your way to Florida? I did choose USLawShield multi state for that reason. Hopefully whoever is on retainer picks up the phone. I also carry a lowered level of second call defense for the insurance component and bail support. The first goal is to get my butt out of the clink.

winchester4440

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2021
    Evansville, IN
    In Indiana and Kentucky the attorney for US Lawshield is Marc Halta. I have talked with him a couple of times and he seems like a nice, knowledgeable person. I would have no problems calling him.

Guy Relford is mentioned frequently as well. Having taken his class he would be my wife’s choice.

The problem becomes out of state. You are you going to call after a self defense situation while on your way to Florida? I did choose USLawShield multi state for that reason. Hopefully whoever is on retainer picks up the phone. I also carry a lowered level of second call defense for the insurance component and bail support. The first goal is to get my butt out of the clink.
    I’ve attended several USLS seminars done by Marc. He does seem very knowledgeable in Self Defense law.

As to bail, USLS does offer that as a stand-alone for a fee; coverage up to 50K.

I think, when we call the emergency number, Marc is the one who answers, but he probably assigns other attorneys in the area to each case.

My original post involved why Andrew Branca was so against USLS. Maybe fold here aren’t familiar with him tho.

Thanks for replying.

Edited for typos.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I’ve attended several USLS seminars done by Marc. He does seem very knowledgeable in Self Defense law.

As to bail, USLS does offer that as a stand-alone for a fee; coverage up to 50K.

I think, when we call the emergency number, Marc is the one who answers, but he probably assigns other attorneys in the area to each case.

My original post involved why Andrew Branca was so against USLS. Maybe fold here aren’t familiar with him tho.

Thanks for replying.

Edited for typos.
    It is probably time for me to reevaluate services. Very likely USCCA will not be in the running because I despise their constant barrage of emails and advertising. No other reason other then I hate marketing.

I do travel a 5 state region for work (IL, IN, KY, MI, OH) and could get called into those states surrounding. So I need to take this into consideration.

1) multistate
    2) get me out of jail (bail)
    3) civil defense and liability insurance
    4) I don’t need insurance after the fact I need to mount a defense immediately.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I know that there are some very good attorneys out there, but when I see an agreement that is written by lawyers, I always, in the back of my mind, wonder if the agreement is written for my benefit or the attorneys'. I've come to believe that, although TV ads indicate otherwise, that mostly I'll be dealing with non-attorney staff. All insurance is about the companies making money. Follow the money! If I ever get into a situation where I need legal help, I plan to select the best attorney for the particular incident and pay through the nose. After the dust settles, I'll try to get reimbursed one way or another.

Top Bottom