• Status
    Not open for further replies.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    not news in my eyes. they did the smart thing, or would people have rather had the tax payers pay to ship them home? it was trash so they burned it. it wasnt done out of disrespect. whats the proper and dignified wat to retire a tattered flag? you burn it. I see no story here other than one of tollerance by the military. The group obviously never intended those books to be read by U.S. troops. they USED the U.S. military to further their own agendas. shame on them

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    not news in my eyes. they did the smart thing, or would people have rather had the tax payers pay to ship them home? it was trash so they burned it. it wasnt done out of disrespect. whats the proper and dignified wat to retire a tattered flag? you burn it. I see no story here other than one of tollerance by the military. The group obviously never intended those books to be read by U.S. troops. they USED the U.S. military to further their own agendas. shame on them
    Pretty much. They are there to fight, not proselytize.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Huh. I am a avid bible reader, but in the end its just words on paper. There is nothing 'sacred' or holy about the paper and print itself. The meaning of the words is the holy part.

I mean it still should be treated with respect, but I am not sure that burning isnt the proper way to dispose of a book.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010

My point was, and maybe I should have been more clear, if the military decides to burn Bibles. That's their decision. But don't be hypocritical. The General has no business commenting on some guy in Florida burning a koran,
    while he's burning Bibles in Afganistan.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

This. From the looks of things, a year ago, some church wanted to try to convert Afghans to Christianity. That's a dangerous game because it would turn the war there into sort of a Crusade of yesteryear. The military doesn't need that because we would lose ALL our so called allies in the middle east and else where.

The military made a good decision here. They weren't English Bibles either. They were written in Arabic.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My point was, and maybe I should have been more clear, if the military decides to burn Bibles. That's their decision. But don't be hypocritical. The General has no business commenting on some guy in Florida burning a koran,

I don't agree with your assessment. The Bibles were burned in order to keep them from being distributed by members of the military - who were not authorized to do so. As others have said, the military is there to perform a mission, not proselytize.

Like it or not, the policy is not to offend the Afghans if we can avoid it. This was avoiding it. The Pastor in Florida burning the Koran (I can never seem to spell it the same way twice in a row) is relevant because it is stirring resentment in an area where we're trying to build good will.

The first action aids in performing the mission, the second action hinders performing the mission, and that's why GEN Petraeous addressed it.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.

:+1:

If that church wants to spread the word of Jesus they should go do it themselves, not expect the military to do it for them.

The General has no business commenting on some guy in Florida burning a koran,

Sure he does. The koran burning will be used as a recruiting tool for the forces that he is supposed to defeat. If one guy in Afghanistan is sitting on the fence and sees this burning, then decides to bury an IED that kills an American, will it have been worth it?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield

If he did not burn them people would get mad about the tax dollars being sent to send back Bibles that VERY few here could read...... or they do get passed out and it ends up on the news and the suicide attacks sky rocket and people get mad then........

The General knows that the Quran being burned will spark violence...... I am sure he also knows that Bibles being passed out will spark just as much violence..........

I am very religous and would rather see a Bible burned then thrown in the trash.......

The chruch should have sent Missionaries with bibles..... not try and get the millitary to do it... I am sure the church knows that if they sent people themselves chances are near 100% that they would get killed so why not try and get the people with guns to do it....

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    The military made a good decision here. They weren't English Bibles either. They were written in Arabic.

I agree that sending Bibles to Afganistan was dumb. Being that most Afgans can't read, and those that do don't read Arabic, I would have to says it's just dumb for dumb's sake, though.

Sure he does. The koran burning will be used as a recruiting tool for the forces that he is supposed to defeat. If one guy in Afghanistan is sitting on the fence and sees this burning, then decides to bury an IED that kills an American, will it have been worth it?

I don't think burning a Quoran is helpful in anyway. But seriously, do you think there's actually a single guy in Afganistan thinking "Man if that crusader burns a book I'm gonna get really pissed and quit my job as a west-worshipping investment banker and do something about it"? Just one? It's a red herring argument.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I can see WHY the Military burned the books. But I do agree, it was entirely hypocritical for anyone in the Military to comment on a Koran burning.

However, let's dive deeper into this. In America, it is quite OK to discrimminate against Christians, pee on Jesus on TV (HBO program), halt for the first time in history stop Christian events which are supportive of The Military (CO recruitment, I believe).

Does anyone else see where Im going with, in terms of OK-Discrimmination?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom