• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    My understanding is that we traded 5 Taliban prisoners that were being kept at Gitmo. If this is the case, we have just shown the enemy how to get their folks back. Negotiating with the enemy is a VERY bad idea, IMO.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My understanding is that we traded 5 Taliban prisoners that were being kept at Gitmo. If this is the case, we have just shown the enemy how to get their folks back. Negotiating with the enemy is a VERY bad idea, IMO.
    A majority of the kidnap victims in Gitmo have already been cleared for release, since they were never terrorists or combatants to begin with. We've likely lost nothing in the deal.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Not sure if he's guilty of desertion or not, but putting him on trial would be an incredible PR blunder for a failing war effort.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    A majority of the kidnap victims in Gitmo have already been cleared for release, since they were never terrorists or combatants to begin with. We've likely lost nothing in the deal.

I kinda doubt they settled for for 5 "Kidnapee's" that were low level nobodies. Why would they? What would be the point? Doesn't make sense to me.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    ^^ LOL. ^^

Then, that would still make Bergdahl AWOL, and he'd still need to be imprisoned. The proper way to handle such a 'scenario' would be to refuse the order, which would be justifiable. If he refused such an order, then he would have the opportunity to face trial and make his case. Unlike the traitor scumbag Snowden.

IF Bergdahl went AWOL as alleged and several troops were killed looking for him, Bergdahl is directly responsible for the deaths of those troops, needs to be charged with those deaths, and held to account.

For what it's worth, Snowden himself did raise concerns with superiors and colleagues and apparently only took action when his (legitimate) concerns were not addressed.

I have no idea about this Bergdahlf fellow, but there are many other documented cases where a soldier raises concern with superiors with little or nothing to come of it. It's possible he felt hopeless and decided to just disband, thinking he'd be killed in the process instead of captured. Could have easily been a suicide mission from someone who could not pull the trigger on himself, without the thought of being captured and kept alive for so long. Still doesn't change the fact he put others are risk when they searched for him and doesn't bring back the lives lost in that process.

Hearing his side would be nice and would be an interesting trial to follow if it's ever reported on, which it unlikely would.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I had never heard anything about this. The more I read the more I can't help but think something seems off here. Besides negotiating with terrorists. Can't help but be reminded of the showtime series Homeland. Even if they guy did go AWOL and cause the death of other soldiers he will not be charged and it will not be reported. Everything I am reading this is all about what great leaders we have for getting this guy back.
    "No soldier left behind, except that dude in Mexico", but he was crazy anyway, right?

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Since we are techniqually still at war if a member of the armed forces goes awol. Is that not consider treason and punishable by death?

If we are technically at war then they were not kidnap victims or cleared for release. Can't have it both ways.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't believe President Bush or obama has ever declaired this a war.
    The president doesn't have the authority to declare war! From what I have read, and from people that were stationed near Bergdahl, he was a traitor, and should be charged in the deaths of his former fellow soldiers! But that would only happen if he were to ever stand trial. Let's remember, it's a volunteer service, NOONE forced him to contract so he should have completed his service/contract like a man and then if he didn't like it, not reenlist and go home. To just quit because he didn't like it is criminal in itself!

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    He didn't go AWOL, he deserted. The death penalty is an option, but as he was a PVT., I think thats a bit too much. I do believe he needs to answer for these crimes. I have spoken to people involved in operations regarding the incident, and all believe him to be a criminal deserter, and a trator to many. He pretty much ruined operations in that part of Afghanistan for a period of time as most combat operations were halted for search efforts.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    It appears that Obama violated the law requiring him to notify Congress 30 days ahead of any terrorist prisoner release and to inform them how any dangers created by releasing them has been mitigated. I expect both more kidnappings to gain more prisoner releases and more dead Americans directly related to these five Taliban commanders. These were not low-level, non-dangerous detainees. You can read short bios of the 5 released at the link.

Taliban becomes our latest enemy to play Obama for a patsy | Power Line

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    So we trade 1 AWOL deserter for 5 Taliban terrorists. This AWOL soldier also happens to be the the first and only POW that the Taliban did not execute. Now we are going to bring him back and treat him like some hero?

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    He laid down weapon and deserted his unit. He was captured after he left the base. Several soldiers were killed looking for him.

There were questions all along about his motives. He left his unit and surrendered to the Taliban. Now the deleted tweets from his father bring even more questions.

Freed American POW’s Father Deletes A Very Disturbing Tweet: Throws Prisoner Exchange in Question

It is starting to look overwhelming as if this were a setup to begin with. If nothing less, he is a disgrace to everyone in uniform! His POW status needs to be negated as he was a deserter at the least, and guilty of treason in the worst case.

At the end of the day Obama will simply say he didn't see anything in the News about it, so how could he have known any better.

Interpon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    There were questions all along about his motives. He left his unit and surrendered to the Taliban. Now the deleted tweets from his father bring even more questions.

Freed American POW’s Father Deletes A Very Disturbing Tweet: Throws Prisoner Exchange in Question

It is starting to look overwhelming as if this were a setup to begin with. If nothing less, he is a disgrace to everyone in uniform! His POW status needs to be negated as he was a deserter at the least, and guilty of treason in the worst case.

At the end of the day Obama will simply say he didn't see anything in the News about it, so how could he have known any better.

Exactly!! Wtf??? I cannot fathom how we traded these prisoners!! I dont mind spending a billion dollars to find him...but the trade??? And his father? Maybe he should be on a watch?

Bergdahl’s family has not commented on the allegations of desertion, according to Col. Tim Marsano, a spokesman for the Idaho National Guard. Marsano is in regular contact with Bergdahl’s mother, Jani, and father, Bob, who has grown a long, thick beard and has worked to learn Pashto, the language spoken by his son’s captors.

Top Bottom