• ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    176.00 apiece? GIVIN' em away!

Not really. The P320 design is so brilliant from a "value engineering" perspective that they could probably sell them at $150 and make money. I remember the first time I took apart my P320 FCG. (do not recommend if you are impatient or uncoordinated). Most all the parts are MIM, laser cut, or stamped on the inside. This makes for easy fast production, meaning cheap.

Now consider that every variant of the pistol can use the same exact chassis. You can amortize that cost over several hundred thousand units. Then you have the plastic grip modules which are the same for each size (except the .45 versions which can be made int he same molds with an insert change).

The most expensive parts of the gun are the barrel and slide. So there's only so cheap they can make it. That's why they can't sell them for $80 and make money. But I'm guessing Sig has about $30 in each barrel, $40 per slide, and maybe $30 for the whole rest of the gun-- roughly $100 actual cost per gun.

The only reason Sig prices them at $600 is because that's what plastic striker guns from reputable brands generally go for, and they add a small premium because they are Sig and can point to their metal gun marketing as a "premium" product.

Truth is, they probably don't cost much more to make than a Hi Point.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I hope those are made at US production facilities.

The Army already selected the Sig M-17/M-18 pistols which will be built in the US Sig factory in New Hampshire. The USAF contract will just raise the production quantity.

Since the Sig factory in Germany closed, I think the US factory is the only one making Sig pistols now.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    A striker-fired handgun with a safety is the stupidest-looking thing ever.

What they will need parts after thousands of different service members handle them? Surely not.

View attachment 88340
    Said to have been in a room with 30 Airman for 1 hour.

I've seen some Crew Chiefs that could do that in 30 mins and have time for a smoke break...don't get me started on flightline weapons animals...

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I hope those are made at US production facilities.

The Army already selected the Sig M-17/M-18 pistols which will be built in the US Sig factory in New Hampshire. The USAF contract will just raise the production quantity.

Since the Sig factory in Germany closed, I think the US factory is the only one making Sig pistols now.

im almost positive that military contracts state that products have to be made in the united states, that's why beretta and fn built factories here for the m9 and the m16/m4 contracts

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    USAF, WTF, is NERF sold out?

All jokes aside. Like I mentioned a page back the USAF has a good Firearms Program for Category 1 troops. Security Police/Security Forces TACP, Combat Control and PJs. We shot twice a year normally. And when I did nuke security we shot nore than that. The USAF actually had it mandated for rounds chambered in the M9. And JHP on stateside bases since 1999.

I'll also point out the AF keeps 2/3ds of the Nuclear Triade

But hey go Army LOL

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Loads of those in the US Army Infantry... Guess thats why the Army added that lever.

The lever is present on all military issued M18s, it's not Army specific. Don't know if the marines have adopted the pistol yet. Probably not, as they are busy with advanced training on identifying the difference between an MRE and a box of crayons.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The lever is present on all military issued M18s, it's not Army specific. Don't know if the marines have adopted the pistol yet. Probably not, as they are busy with advanced training on identifying the difference between an MRE and a box of crayons.

The US Army set specs for the new sidearm, Years ago.

In January 2013, the Army released a Request for Information (RFI) to assess available handgun technologies and U.S. small arms industrial production capacity for the Modular Handgun System. The announcement seeks information “on potential improvements in handgun performance in the areas of accuracy and dispersion out to 50 meters, terminal performance, modularity, reliability, and durability in all environments.” The handgun should have a 90 percent or more chance of hitting in a 4-inch circle out to 50 meters consistently throughout the weapon's lifetime. Ergonomic design should minimize recoil energies and control shot dispersion. Features include, but are not limited to, compatibility with accessory items to include tactical lights, lasers, and sound suppressors. Full ambidextrous controls are required and there was interest in ergonomic designs that could be controlled by female shooters.

And the Corps accepted it...
    My youngest is running a grass week at 29 Palms this week and next week.
    All Marines that need to qualify with a sidearm still have Beretta's.
    They all still have Beretta's issued to them if your mos fits the need.
    It will be another 10 years before all infantry Marines are issued a Sig Sauer.

Funny thing about them crayon eaters, All Marines qualify at 500 yds with a 16" M4 and SS109 ammo. Maybe thats why they are The Few and the Proud....
    While soldiers make the cut at 300 yds...

I await your second volley of childish negative rep and comments you send.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I thought USAF Sec. carried M11s.

In the USAF only AF OSI carried M11's We qualified them twice a year (on 2 courses if I remember right). They had a whole different course of fire Pilots carried S&W Model 15s like alll of us then went ti the M9 by 1992 In DS my B 52 wing they were still using Model 15's

OSI had the M11 from when I can remember however I never delt with them much until 1993 ish.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    They all still have Beretta's issued to them if your mos fits the need.
    It will be another 10 years before all infantry Marines are issued a Sig Sauer.

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/marines-m18-modular-handgun-system-video

Marine Corps Systems Command spokesman Maj. Ken Kunze told Task & Purpose that under the current fielding schedule, Program Manager-Infantry Weapons officials will start doling out the M18 to a few lucky grunts starting in the third quarter of fiscal year 2020, with a target completion date in "late 2023."

Funny thing about them crayon eaters, All Marines qualify at 500 yds with a 16" M4 and SS109 ammo. Maybe thats why they are The Few and the Proud....
    While soldiers make the cut at 300 yds...

Oorah. :rolleyes: :):

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Retired USAF here. I was a medic, but I was also the "weapons courier" for several of the Medical Groups I was assigned to over the years. If we deployed or went on field exercises, we took along a case of M16A1's for base defense. The Weapons Courier was the guy who accompanied these rifles so nobody would abscond with them in transit.

We first qualified with S&W Model 15's with the 130 gr FMJ ball. We shot a 60 round qualification course that including some barricade work and different shooting positions.
    Along about 1986 we switched over to the M9's and the 124 gr FMJ's. 60 round qualification course with holster work and different shooting positions out to 25 yds.

When I deployed as an IDMT to remote areas (think South America, SE Asia, and SW Asia), I was issued an M9 with standard ball ammo. The USAF also was the only service to allow the M9 to be carried loaded, round in chamber, safety OFF. Just a double action first shot like our old M15's.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Retired USAF here. I was a medic, but I was also the "weapons courier" for several of the Medical Groups I was assigned to over the years. If we deployed or went on field exercises, we took along a case of M16A1's for base defense. The Weapons Courier was the guy who accompanied these rifles so nobody would abscond with them in transit.

We first qualified with S&W Model 15's with the 130 gr FMJ ball. We shot a 60 round qualification course that including some barricade work and different shooting positions.
    Along about 1986 we switched over to the M9's and the 124 gr FMJ's. 60 round qualification course with holster work and different shooting positions out to 25 yds.

When I deployed as an IDMT to remote areas (think South America, SE Asia, and SW Asia), I was issued an M9 with standard ball ammo. The USAF also was the only service to allow the M9 to be carried loaded, round in chamber, safety OFF. Just a double action first shot like our old M15's.

The actual qualification was 36 rounds with 30 out of 36 needing to be in the 10" circle and all 36 on oaoer for expert.The rest were practice. In 2006 ish They went to a new qualification where it was I want to say well over 100 rds then the actual qualification was 75 rounds with several failure to stop drills, barricade kneeling etc.

I retired in 2007 so I didn't have time to have muscle memory on the new course like the old one I shot since 1986.

Top Bottom