• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    All I know is that after years of buying and drinking hundreds of gallons from lily orchard where they pressed their apples on site, I never got sick and the taste was nice and fresh. Then they were forced to pasteurize it and it was pressed offsite somewhere who knows how long ago and the taste went to sh*t.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    People should be able to buy it the way they want it though.
    You don't think it's safer to the masses when products like milk and juice are run through pasteurization?
    One picked up apple that has deer poop on it and used in unpasteurized juice can sure ruin loads of people's days.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hence my question, do you notice the taste difference between unpasteurized and the UV pasteurization?

I like Tuttles better than any other cider I've had, but I can't swear that has anything to do with the pasteurization. It could be the apples they use or some other part of the process. It does make excellent apple wine and it's pretty easy to make. Showed IndyJohn here how to make it and he's already run off a batch.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I like Tuttles better than any other cider I've had, but I can't swear that has anything to do with the pasteurization. It could be the apples they use or some other part of the process. It does make excellent apple wine and it's pretty easy to make. Showed IndyJohn here how to make it and he's already run off a batch.
    I did a quick search for the recipe but didn’t see it do you have a quick link to it? Sounds good…

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I did a quick search for the recipe but didn’t see it do you have a quick link to it? Sounds good…

I gave it to him when he was here at the house. You need some basic wine making stuff like a plastic bucket and a carboy for a secondary. 3 pounds of sugar to a gallon of cider, add 1tsp yeast nutrient and one campden tablet per gallon. Wait 24 hours then add packet of Lalvin 1118 or 1122 yeast. The 1118 is what I use to make really stout apple jack. Once fermentation starts in the plastic bucket give it a few days then transfer to the secondary which can be a 1 gallon glass jug if that's all you are making. Cork it up with an airlock in the cork and wait until it stops bubbling and everything settled to the bottom. Decant the clear wine and enjoy.

Tips,

Keep lids on everything when the fermentation gets going because it will draw bugs, gnats carry a bacteria that converts wine into vinegar.

Keep everything very clean.

Great Fermentations in Indy has all the supplies you need.

For cold weather you can heat the wine in a crock pot and add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, brown sugar, and all spice for a great treat.

bar.JPG

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    You don't think it's safer to the masses when products like milk and juice are run through pasteurization?
    One picked up apple that has deer poop on it and used in unpasteurized juice can sure ruin loads of people's days.
    I don’t think any reputable Orchard would pick apples up off the ground (they use tree shaker machines nowdays) On top of that the apples are usually washed before they are pressed. Of course, that doesn’t mean some contamination might not get through the process.

I have never heard of any widespread problems with cider before pasteurization. It should still be my choice and risk to assume, as long as it is disclosed that it’s not pasteurized.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I gave it to him when he was here at the house. You need some basic wine making stuff like a plastic bucket and a carboy for a secondary. 3 pounds of sugar to a gallon of cider, add 1tsp yeast nutrient and one campden tablet per gallon. Wait 24 hours then add packet of Lalvin 1118 or 1122 yeast. The 1118 is what I use to make really stout apple jack. Once fermentation starts in the plastic bucket give it a few days then transfer to the secondary which can be a 1 gallon glass jug if that's all you are making. Cork it up with an airlock in the cork and wait until it stops bubbling and everything settled to the bottom. Decant the clear wine and enjoy.

Tips,

Keep lids on everything when the fermentation gets going because it will draw bugs, gnats carry a bacteria that converts wine into vinegar.

Keep everything very clean.

Great Fermentations in Indy has all the supplies you need.

For cold weather you can heat the wine in a crock pot and add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, brown sugar, and all spice for a great treat.

View attachment 317106
    Are you reracking towards the end of fermentation but before its finished? I've been brewing beer for 7 years now. I give everything a week to settle down before reracking to secondary. But that's beer. I've used that yeast for Meed and liked the results.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Are you reracking towards the end of fermentation but before its finished? I've been brewing beer for 7 years now. I give everything a week to settle down before reracking to secondary. But that's beer. I've used that yeast for Meed and liked the results.

I rack from primary to secondary with this while fermentation is still running. The secondary gets racked again after fermentation stops. I allow it to clear then bottle it. Mead is something I wanted to try, but heart problems and the meds involved have reduced my alcohol consumption.

This stuff is really good with those spices in a crock pot.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I don’t think any reputable Orchard would pick apples up off the ground (they use tree shaker machines nowdays) On top of that the apples are usually washed before they are pressed. Of course, that doesn’t mean some contamination might not get through the process.

I have never heard of any widespread problems with cider before pasteurization. It should still be my choice and risk to assume, as long as it is disclosed that it’s not pasteurized.
    I know of at least two back home that sell pickups to customers. They are supposed to be for wildlife food, but who knows what some folks will do with them?
    I agree we should be able to buy what we want. I will add my family's farm used to be a dairy farm, even when I was a kid 60 years ago the milk we drank my guncle ran through the pasteurizer before it came into the house.
    I rack up pasteurization with good plumbing and sanitary practices. It's all good until it's not.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What fed dept, agency, bureau, etc doesn't have their own enforcement division? And I'm serious, I think last time I checked there was around 100 armed fed LE departments.

Many of those are basically armed security with arrest powers, with another big chunk is internal fraud investigation. NASA has an inspector general, for example, tasked with fraud/embezzling/etc sort of investigations. They are law enforcement, so they can do search warrants for financial records, etc. but aren't what people typically think of when they think "law enforcement" in a more general sense, and tend to be pretty small but highly specialized. White collar crime investigation is certainly it's own animal, I took an introductory course thinking my accounting classes may give me a leg up and it was readily apparent it was not for me. Literal semi-truck trailers of paperwork to go through for one case that was used as an example. Some 13 months just reviewing physical paper files on a single large scale fraud case. Combine with required tech skills and it was a hard pass for me.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Dr Berry talks about USDA regulations on the local meat level. How it runs the small rancher out of the meat market. Middle of this video, starting sometime after the 2:30 mark...

I cannot attest to anything specifically USDA related but know for sure that ALL government regulation related to government agencies took huge strides during the Obama administration. Obama bragged about creating so many government "jobs" and the folks in these agencies were trained to expand their ranks and self-preserve through creation of massive regulation. I watched it happen in my industry.

As Dr Berry stated in the video, a lot of large scale business operations have to hire people (sometimes whole departments,) to assure "compliance" to government regulation.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I rack from primary to secondary with this while fermentation is still running. The secondary gets racked again after fermentation stops. I allow it to clear then bottle it. Mead is something I wanted to try, but heart problems and the meds involved have reduced my alcohol consumption.

This stuff is really good with those spices in a crock pot.
    Is there an advantage of reracking during fermentation? With beer, open fermentation is one method of making sours. I would think it would introduce too much funk as with sours.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think it is up to people to make their own informed decisions.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I've worked with USDA Agents in the past on organized dog fighting rings. That is what we had here. Drug traffickers who were also running a dog fighting ring.

Top Bottom