• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A follow up question, and I'm a little embarrassed to ask.
    The person who 3 weeks ago who lived 3 hours away wanting to buy my gun had originally said that he was coming by Wanamaker on E465 on his way South to TN to visit his daughters for Xman & could stop by then to pick up the gun, if it was still available then.

Unfortunately, my plans changed and I'm leaving a day earlier than planned and will not be home since I'm going to be at my daughter's at Xmas in TN also.
    He suggested just meeting in TN since we will be only 23 miles away, me in Franklin & him in Smyrna.
    I never gave it a thought since he has his IN license so I'd be selling to someone from IN.

Question: Is doing the transaction illegal if done standing on TN soil?

My daughter is a lawyer in TN, but deals in real estate now (previously child custody issues), but she could find out, I'm sure, but there are people here on INGO that will know.
    I don't like to bother her with legal questions b/c there are 100 different types of law, and I don't expect her to know anything about criminal law about handguns sales.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    cash in hand, when ever he can get your way, if you are willing to wait!

He knew I'd sell it to the first one with cash in hand, and wanted to get me to hold the gun by paying for it so he wouldn't lose the deal.
    Or, so that is the premise. If a scam, it was good b/c I was along for the ride and fell for the Pay Pal bait.
    The meeting in TN since we'd both be there: now I wonder if that was a ruse also?

It'd be great to just deal with INGOers through our classifieds right here wouldn't it?

I have learned to put it on INGO first, and if it doesn't sell in the first weekend, then I put it on Armslist.
    Sometimes someone from INGO buys it after all, and I wasted time with the Armslist crowd.
    In all fairness, I sold a gun last week and yesterday to people just through Arrmslist that were simple, straightforward and great people like I always meet here on INGO. :cheers:
    But then there are the "others." :ugh:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I've never been in such a hurry to sell a gun that I would put up with ANY of this nonsense. In-state buyer shows up with cash and LTCH in hand, otherwise **** off. There's always another buyer, why deal with some idiot or some scammer's dramarama? :dunno:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The person who 3 weeks ago who lived 3 hours away wanting to buy my gun had originally said that he was coming by Wanamaker on E465 on his way South to TN to visit his daughters for Xman & could stop by then to pick up the gun, if it was still available then.

Unfortunately, my plans changed and I'm leaving a day earlier than planned and will not be home since I'm going to be at my daughter's at Xmas in TN also.
    He suggested just meeting in TN since we will be only 23 miles away, me in Franklin & him in Smyrna.
    I never gave it a thought since he has his IN license so I'd be selling to someone from IN.

My daughter is a lawyer in TN, but deals in real estate now (previously child custody issues), but she could find out, I'm sure, but there are people here on INGO that will know.
    I don't like to bother her with legal questions b/c there are 100 different types of law, and I don't expect her to know anything about criminal law about handguns sales.

IANAL, And if you’re wanting to do that I would wait for T Lex, Hough, Kirk, or one of the other ingo geniuses to chime in and explain it.

But, as for me, even if it were legal, I wouldn’t mess with it. It seems he has you jumping through hoops to sell him a gun. Tell him FTF close to you, or you can find someone else who you don’t have to risk breaking laws or getting scammed by dealing with. Like BW said, ingo has a classified section, and our community and mods are top notch, pull the ad down and put it up on ingo. Problem solved.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Man you need to slow down a step. Why even consider doing this in Tn. If I read this right that's just a bit nuts. IMHO.
    Way to many things can go south.
    Again.....JMHO.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've never been in such a hurry to sell a gun that I would put up with ANY of this nonsense. In-state buyer shows up with cash and LTCH in hand, otherwise **** off. There's always another buyer, why deal with some idiot or some scammer's dramarama? :dunno:

Bingo but remember who we are responding to.

Again, stop. Take a deep breath. You are way off the rails here and posting it up on open forum.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    This.

You have the product he wants. He will either have to meet you where you want with cash, or find that deal elsewhere. Honestly, dude seems kinda sketchy anyways. To me at least. Maybe he’s a stand up guy, I dunno, but seems he would just explain his situation and offer a little extra to hold it til he’s back or something.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    IANAL, And if you’re wanting to do that I would wait for T Lex, Hough, Kirk, or one of the other ingo geniuses to chime in and explain it.

But, as for me, even if it were legal, I wouldn’t mess with it. It seems he has you jumping through hoops to sell him a gun. Tell him FTF close to you, or you can find someone else who you don’t have to risk breaking laws or getting scammed by dealing with. Like BW said, ingo has a classified section, and our community and mods are top notch, pull the ad down and put it up on ingo. Problem solved.

OK I will admit that not unlike mcapo I can only get through the initial couple of sentences in his over the top posts. No knock just makes me cross eyed at times.
    Armslist. Man so much I could say here but decorum will not allow.

:faint:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I thought I might get smacked around a bit for even asking the question :bash:, but I knew I'd get some reality feedback, & I was not disappointed.
    I do appreciate the input and will act accordingly.
    Thanks again for everyone taking the time to be helpful. :thumbsup:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    OK I will admit that not unlike mcapo I can only get through the initial couple of sentences in his over the top posts. No knock just makes me cross eyed at times.
    Armslist. Man so much I could say here but decorum will not allow.

:faint:

:rofl:

I’ve never been to armslist or gunbroker (? I think that’s the name lol) but I’ve heard plenty of stories, both on here and from people at work. I don’t understand why people continue using those places, knowing the risks involved there. I’ve never used the classifieds here, but it’s obvious that our community is much more tight knit and respectful and honest than any I’ve heard of. Maybe it’s because we are a Indiana community and not nationwide, but I like to think it’s because we have a good group of members and mods that all do our part in keeping the idiots out. Sure we have our disagreements and we push the boundaries occasionally, but it keeps it interesting lol.

OP, Honestly tho, if I were in your shoes I would remove the ad and put it up here on ingo, or if you really want to sell it to that guy make him meet you on your terms. Follow your gut, if it feels sketchy it probably is. If you second guess doing it, don’t. If a guy seems sketchy trying to buy my firearm, I wouldn’t want him having my firearm. Plenty of honest trustworthy people out there will give you money for your property, don’t settle for something you’re unsure of or uncomfortable with.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve never been to armslist or gunbroker (? I think that’s the name lol) but I’ve heard plenty of stories, both on here and from people at work. I don’t understand why people continue using those places, knowing the risks involved there. I’ve never used the classifieds here, but it’s obvious that our community is much more tight knit and respectful and honest than any I’ve heard of. Maybe it’s because we are a Indiana community and not nationwide, but I like to think it’s because we have a good group of members and mods that all do our part in keeping the idiots out. Sure we have our disagreements and we push the boundaries occasionally, but it keeps it interesting lol.

OP, Honestly tho, if I were in your shoes I would remove the ad and put it up here on ingo, or if you really want to sell it to that guy make him meet you on your terms. Follow your gut, if it feels sketchy it probably is. If you second guess doing it, don’t. If a guy seems sketchy trying to buy my firearm, I wouldn’t want him having my firearm. Plenty of honest trustworthy people out there will give you money for your property, don’t settle for something you’re unsure of or uncomfortable with.

I had the ad on INGO first, but there was no response, which is why I put it on Armslist.
    It is just a simple .22 revolver, and everyone who wants that genre, already has a few of them, so it can take a few weeks to sell one instead of the usual few days.

I never gave a thought about the guy being sketchy until this am when he mentioned Pay Pal.
    He lives 3 hrs. away, and has been adamant about wanting the gun and staying in touch about it still being available, so I was just trying to work with him.
    He never mentioned shipping it to him like the usual scammer approach, so no alarm bells went off in my mind.
    He had told me 3 weeks ago that he was going to TN before Xmas & could stop by on his way there to pick up the gun.
    He didn't know I was going to TN also at the time.
    When he found out that I wasn't going to be in town to be able to pick up the gun before Xmas b/c I was leaving a day earlier also for TN, he mentioned meeting up in TN, and I still wasn't concerned. (I hadn't thought of the legality of it since we were both from IN.)

It wasn't until he asked this am if I had Pay Pal (so I wouldn't sell the gun to another), did I begin to wonder.
    When I got some preliminary negatives about the safety of Pay Pal this am I told him no Pay Pal.
    Then after reading the barrage of warnings about personal bad experience with Pay Pal later in the evening, I was certainly glad I told him no Pay Pal in the am.
    When I learned that it wasn't legal and was not even safe to use Pay Pal, if a person was not legit, I was glad I waved him off on that.

I can't imagine someone going to so much trouble grooming me for a scam for a .22LR, but I am not world-savvy about the way of such things.
    I will definitely follow the warning advice given here and am grateful for this forum to provide it. :ingo:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got a reply email from the interested party saying he was a 65 yr. old collector with his lifetime LTCH, expressing his displeasure that it didn't work out since I was unwilling to take Pay Pal & meet in TN.
    He is either just another honest guy trying to make a deal work, or very smooth and patient scammer.
    I was not willing to find out after reading the thread here. :coffee:
    I told him that as a collector he probably had a dozen of his own stories of dealing with the public at large.
    Thanks again for the input and warnings! :thumbsup:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I can not imagine a Scammer going to these lengths either but doing the deal in Tenn. is a serious push. Be patient. Do it inside our borders. Just because.

I have let deals go due to distance. But you do realize there are ways to ship. I have sent POMO's to members. They cash them and then send me what ever we are looking at exchanging. But I only do that with solid Ingo people.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can not imagine a Scammer going to these lengths either but doing the deal in Tenn. is a serious push. Be patient. Do it inside our borders. Just because.
    I have let deals go due to distance. But you do realize there are ways to ship. I have sent POMO's to members. They cash them and then send me what ever we are looking at exchanging. But I only do that with solid Ingo people.

Sage advice & I thank you for it. :thumbsup:
    I too, have lost deals that I wanted to buy b/c of distance or someone wanted me to drive "too far" to sell a gun in the State.

I've never been tempted to ship b/c I only have always sold locally FTF, where I can verify the LTCH & IN license, even when they want me to ship it to an FFL or claim to be an FFL.
    The scenario I discussed developed slowly and drew me in like a frog brought to a slow boil in hot water and never jumps out (according to my H.S. Science teacher :)).
    I don't need to be in a hurry anyway, but as you know, I do everything 110 mph. :runaway:
    I appreciate everyone's patience with me. :ingo:
    I wish I had 40 years of experience like those whose input I treasure. :coffee:
    My health is slowing me down, so hopefully I'll be less irritating as I age. :facepalm:
    Or not: my wife will be the judge and reap the benefits if I do become "normal." :rofl:
    I'm afraid my "wanting-to-help" disposition got in the way of "the art of simplicity." :dunno:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :popcorn:
    Cause I'm curious about the "can the transaction occur in TN" between two IN residents?

My initial guess is no, that is an out of state sale. But I have no clue.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    FTF with cash in hand, or walk away! I had a similar experience with a gun I had listed on Armslist. The guy was from out of state and insisted on using PayPal. I caught on before harm was done!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The story is scheduled to be at an end at 5 pm today. :dunno:
    Like all guns that sit for 3 weeks, all of a sudden there are 3 buyers today.
    I'm to meet with someone who contacted me Friday evening about getting together Sunday & even named the place.
    I was tied up and not available today until after 3 pm.
    They did not follow up Saturday confirming a time for the appt., so I thought it was just another talker.
    While I was in my meeting today, they called and left a message about a 5 pm meet-up.
    I called and they didn't pick up b/c they were playing Santa Claus, but they just confirmed it.
    You can't make this stuff up. :laugh:
    So it looks like I learn another lesson in patience, and just sticking with the plan: FTF.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It'd be great to just deal with INGOers through our classifieds right here wouldn't it?

+1

I'm not that desperate to get rid of a firearm. I'll leave it in my safe and let my kids deal with it if need be. Like someone up thread said, it's just a firearm. Keep bumping it until you get a buyer. Or find another forum possibly. I have a Trap gun I may sell at some point and will probably list it on the Trapshooter's forum along with INGO. But just to cover more potential buyers here in Indiana only.

Or consider the potential cost and current hassle to sell through other means, put a dollar value to it and discount the gun that amount on here. You may get someone to bite then if you have had it listed for awhile.

I have a holster that I have been bumping for months. One day I'll sell it.

Oops! Posted before I saw your last post. Good job. Glad it worked out for you!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    +1

I'm not that desperate to get rid of a firearm. I'll leave it in my safe and let my kids deal with it if need be. Like someone up thread said, it's just a firearm. Keep bumping it until you get a buyer. Or find another forum possibly. I have a Trap gun I may sell at some point and will probably list it on the Trapshooter's forum along with INGO. But just to cover more potential buyers here in Indiana only.
    Or consider the potential cost and current hassle to sell through other means, put a dollar value to it and discount the gun that amount on here. You may get someone to bite then if you have had it listed for awhile.
    I have a holster that I have been bumping for months. One day I'll sell it.
    Oops! Posted before I saw your last post. Good job. Glad it worked out for you!

Thanks! It usually never takes me 3 weeks to sell something $200 less than new for what it sells for locally.
    I am spoiled. :dunno:
    I usually only buy at such a great value that I can sell quickly.
    Just the other day I sold a gun in an hour, b/c I took a loss to move it quickly, which illustrates your point.
    It was a gun I bought in our Classifieds, and I didn't do my research, and it wasn't what I thought it was (different model).
    But, I'd already said I'd take it, therefore was honor-bound to do so (I should have asked more questions like I usually do).
    I was too embarrassed to put it back in the Classifieds the next day, so I put it on Armslist at a 20% loss ($50) & 5 people lined up to buy it.
    Evidently I could have just lost 10% ($25) and sold it nearly as quick (imo).
    Your experience with your holster I've had with holsters or magazines, even selling at 1/2 off new price.

Top Bottom