• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Anyone know if any practical uses for used motor oil? Google searches have not turned up anything useful and I seem to have a few gallons that have not quite made it back to Autozone.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you have a diesel run it though your fuel tank. Summer time you can blend the fuel up to about a 50/50 mix. Winter time run no more than a 25/75 mix.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    If you have a diesel run it though your fuel tank. Summer time you can blend the fuel up to about a 50/50 mix. Winter time run no more than a 25/75 mix.

Other than burning a bit black at times, are there any other problems you encounter by doing so?

How does this affect gas mileage/performance?

I want to buy a diesel for my next vehicle because of this benefit, I was also wondering about other oils to burn as well.
    I saw something on TV the other day where some dude from India has developed a diesel replacement by mixing various forms of coconut oil, kerosene and whatever else.

I was thinking, heck...why not use your used cooking oil as well.
    Once your done making your bacon in the deep fryer, use the canola oil to extend your diesel. :dunno:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Just keep in mind that it is a carcinogen, so be careful in handling. But I've heard of using 50/50 and 25/75 mix as suggested without issues.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Other than burning a bit black at times, are there any other problems you encounter by doing so? Does not burn any blacker that I have noticed. No problems encountered to date I have been doing this for almost 4 years now.

How does this affect gas mileage/performance? On 2 of our trucks big mileage gains. 1 truck with a negligible mileage difference. No power losses that we can tell.

I want to buy a diesel for my next vehicle because of this benefit, I was also wondering about other oils to burn as well.
    I saw something on TV the other day where some dude from India has developed a diesel replacement by mixing various forms of coconut oil, kerosene and whatever else.

I was thinking, heck...why not use your used cooking oil as well.
    Once your done making your bacon in the deep fryer, use the canola oil to extend your diesel. :dunno:

I have neighbors that are running nothing but used veg oil. Not for sure the set up they are using or the +/- to the as far as power/mileage. When fuel oil and kerosene were cheaper it was not uncommon to find farmers running that though our tractors, at least till the temps start dropping. Gelled fuel sucks. As far as what you can run though a diesel. As long as it combustible you can try it. Watch stuff that is flammable though. :D

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Buy an old mechanical pumped diesel car, truck or tractor and used oil will burn fine. This has held up the market on old benz cars(D's), they'll burn anything. IMHO it take some more planning to run in the newer diesel, the rail pressure on my truck is stock 26K psi, and spikes higher now since modified. It would have to be filtered through a small micron filter at the very least, but I would also be concerned with getting the proper viscosity as to not affect rail pressure.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    Thank you for all of the input guys. At this point I do not own anything that runs on diesel, though wouldn't mind finding a diesel generator.

The oil furnace is a cool idea, but man are they pricey! I don't know if I can justify the cost for the 8 to 10 gallons of used oil I come up with annually.

I see a trip to Autozone in my near future!

Thank again!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    This is mostly a problem with used Veg oil, or engine oil put into containers with water in them already.

You can centrifuge it or heat it.

Youtube has a ton of vids on it.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I've been running waste motor oil in my 92 Dodge Cummins for several years (250,000 miles +) without any problems. I have bed mounted 100 gallon transfer tank that I use to mix and filter it through. I will get the oil from work we run 18 trucks and they hold 34 quarts of engine oil and 15 gallons of hyd oil. I will put what oil I have available in my tank then added the required amount of diesel to come up with the ratio I want. I then will run the electric pump to circulate it and run the mix through a 10 micron filter also it will again go through a 10 micron filter before going into the trucks tank. Winter I do not use over 25% but summer time and a road trip where I will be on the road and not idleing around town I will run up to 80% WMO even pulling our toys on the trailer. Anything over 50% tends to smoke quite a bit at an idle but my truck hazes at an idle anyway because of the style aftermarket injector I have. I would think it might not be so bad with a stock injector. I really cannot tell you how it affects my mileage because it has been so long since I ran a tank of straight diesel through it.

The older mechanical pumped trucks are the ones you want if you are planning on doing this and getting any longivity out of your pump. I know of a few guys with the Powerstrokes that had issues and replaced a few pumps. I have a neighbor that runs used vegetable oil and motor oil in a 6.9 Ford diesel and has been doing so for many years without any problems.

Top Bottom