• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jhampton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    I am interested in expanding my collection of guns. I don't mind buying used handguns through a dealer. Is this a safe practice or would most people say spend the extra money and buy new?

Thanks for the advise.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Lately with the crazy prices you will be able to purchase a new gun through a gun shop cheaper than used. You are just limited to selections they have on hand.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I look for the right price. I couldn't care less whether it is from a dealer or an individual. Most of the handguns I have purchased have been used. A few have been new. Usually, it has more to do with availability then any preference on my part.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    My son and I had a interesting experience at the Cabela's in Hammond recently. He was looking at a used retired police Glock 19. I asked the sales person to tear it down for us. We took a look at it and the sales person proceded to try and re-assemble the handgun. He finally got the slide back on it and the trigger would not retract back to the firing position. He kept racking the slide but the trigger would not budge. He took the gun over to his Glock expert. He comes back and says all it needs is to be cleaned. I looked at my son and said not thanks. Maybe it was something simple, maybe not. He ended up getting a brand new XD .40 for $70.00 more than they wanted for the used Glock. I fired the XD this last weekend, dam fine handgun.

sbond

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    Franklin
    I go with the best price have bought from both private sales quick and easy make a new friend. Dealer about 30 minutes on the records checks and store paperwork either works for me.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    IMO if I buy a used gun I only buy straight from the previous owner. I don't have any grudge against a LGS but I just like to know what kind of person owned the gun before me.

If you research what you're going to buy before you buy it then at least you'll know what you need to look for on a used gun as far as wear or broken parts.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I have no hesitation about buying used but in today's market you maybe better buying new. Some are hard to come by making some think they can scam the buyers. Be patient all good things come to those who wait. Want to see some real scammers check the used Glock market on Armslist.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Most of my firearms were bought used. Learn how to inspect a used gun!! The internet is you friend on learning what to look for. Be prepared to reject a gun if it has small flaws, that is, dont talk yourself around a small issue. Another good guns will turn up in time. :twocents:

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    im not afraid to buy used. just be patient, with all the fluff going on right now, when things settle back to a somewhat normal market, I believe we will see a flood of weapons of all kinds on the market. those who are first time buyers will eventually realize that they don't want/need the guns they purchased earlier. at that time, we should all find some real bargains. that's my way of thinking anyhow.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Don't be afraid to buy used. As others have said, just do your homework and have a general idea of what to look for and any common problems for a given gun.
    If something dos slip by and you end up with problems, take it to a good gunsmith. In the end, its a mechanical device and can always be repaired. Its just nicer to not have to go through the hassle :)
    A quick inspection and meeting the previous owner should quickly indicate if they took care of it.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I have some general guidelines for buying new vs. used.

If I'm buying a gun that I know will be a carry piece, truck gun, etc. then i'll try to find a nice used one.

If i'm going to be spending a lot of money on a high quality gun, then I want to buy new so that I know if anything happens to it (scratches, breakages, etc.) that I did it.

dealer vs. online?

You'll generally get a better deal buying from a private seller online or in classifieds than buying at a LGS.

The only way to tell the quality of a firearm posted online is through pictures. No pics? Then it's a guessing game. Even with pics, it's sometimes hard to see the condition of a gun. Advantage LGS.

So far I've not been screwed over or disappointed with any used purchases from private sellers (knock on wood).

Don't limit yourself to one market, you'll miss a lot of good deals.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I bought my first handgun (last weekend) I wanted to buy a new one, just the fact it was my first, but I'm in no way opposed to buying used, I've already figured out which one will be my next :D

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I look for the right price. I couldn't care less whether it is from a dealer or an individual.

Remember how economics work, a business exists to make money. Say I sell a gun to a shop for $500, the shop will turnaround and charge you $600.

If you can find me on the classifieds then you get it for $500 instead of the $600 dealer-used price.

(purely as an example. I put so much thought into the guns that I want that once a gun goes in my safe, I tend to not want to sell it)

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Good thread. I have been hesitant to purchase a used gun.
    I usually buy new. Check out gunbroker. I've found guys with FFL's that will only charge a small amount for paperwork. I will think twice before buying used on gunbroker though...I bought a .22 revlover that looked really good...but the rifling was gone. The bullets were all key holing.

thprez20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Terre Haute
    My son and I had a interesting experience at the Cabela's in Hammond recently. He was looking at a used retired police Glock 19. I asked the sales person to tear it down for us. We took a look at it and the sales person proceded to try and re-assemble the handgun. He finally got the slide back on it and the trigger would not retract back to the firing position. He kept racking the slide but the trigger would not budge. He took the gun over to his Glock expert. He comes back and says all it needs is to be cleaned. I looked at my son and said not thanks. Maybe it was something simple, maybe not. He ended up getting a brand new XD .40 for $70.00 more than they wanted for the used Glock. I fired the XD this last weekend, dam fine handgun.

$70 for a brand new XD? What a deal that was.

Top Bottom