• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Good luck my friend. When I started I went with new. Now after more years than I care to count, I find used are good values. I got taken on one simply because I did not listen to the other party. By the way the guy was my cousin. His remark on the Python he gave me in exchange for a Uberti 45 LC was, "It had a barrel obstruction." Remark went right over my head. A few months later while shooting at the range I was reading paper that looked like six rounds of 00 buck had been taken to it. Anyway the evidence of it "having a barrel obstruction" was definitely made clear. When buying used; look, listen, and feel.

Sorry, I'm a little slow. The barrel was obstructed and you fired 6 rounds through the obstruction? What was stuck in the barrel?

Or was it that the barrel was bulged due to the previous owner firing a round through the obstructed barrel.

Having trouble wrapping my head around this.

Anyhow, I love used Ruger wheelguns. The best deal going IMO.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    new vs used

I would not go out and buy new if you can get a good deal on a used firearm. There is alot of info on this site and the net about what to look for in a used firearm.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Steelman sorry for not making it clear. When he said it had a barrel obstruction I thought he meant it was perhaps a squib load and the bullet got lodged in the barrel and removed. The barrel was clear when I got it as I took a quick glance. What he meant was it did have a barrel obstruction which was followed up with another shot which in turn cleared the barrel. Later when I found it would not group a closer examintion of the barrel showed a ring and looking at the outside of the barrel, an ever so slight bulge.

Colt fixed it for me and treated me very well. Too bad they dropped their wheel guns.

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    Bdawg,
    Hard to pass up a lifetime warranty on the springfield. I have personally bought quite a few guns used on sites like this, sigforum and glocktalk. I have never had any problems with any of them. The thing is you have to be patient and really take your time and find one thats near perfect. You have to be even more patient to find one for the price you want but there is no shortage of used firearms. Check all the sites randomly, if you have the time. If you don't have the time and got the gun bug then buy new if you can afford it. You will never be disappointed with new, you just might save some money with used.Good luck.

Wagswook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    With being fairly new to handguns I know I cannot trust myself to know whether or not a used gun is worth it or not.. So for me personally, it's either new or I am going to bring along a very experienced friend.

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    Used Vs New

Used guns can offer you a better gun than new guns in the same price range, but you do have to be careful about what you buy.

Ask the seller about how many rounds they put through the gun, weather or not they are the original owner, how old the gun is etc.

You can also ask if they have had any problems with the gun. Look for manufactures that offer a "no questions asked" lifetime warranty, such as Hi-Point and several others. That way if something breaks or stops working correctly you can send it in, and get it repaired for free.

Good luck and happy shooting!

I agree. Ask questions.

Top Bottom