• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inabcentia

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Bloomington
    use them to store drinking water. places in europe have stored wine for centuries in wine bottles. maybe you'd want to sanitize the bottle first. seal the with wax. but glass would be a way better storage material than plastic

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Molotov Cocktails....

Probably not a good idea, for several reasons:

A.) post-SHTF local FD service is likely to be disrupted.

B.) with no-one to put them out fires spread & out of control fires under the right conditions wild fires can literally turn hundreds of square miles into burnt ash.

C.) wine bottles are generally to thick to break consistently when thrown.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    If you can come up wth a few barrels and have a pickyup, you might be surprised at what glass brings Most glass manufacturers currently run between 30 and 35 % recycled glass in their mix and are trying hard to use more.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    The above is true, but not from the cash side.
    Food grade glass will not have post consumer cullet content in general. Insulation manufacturers will use over 65% in some cases, but get their supply from large post consumer collection companies. Prices are low and supply side into the waste stream pays little if anything.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I seen a fire pit once that was made out of field stone and the person put wine bottles in different spots between the stones (the bottle neck part). After the mortar set up he broke off the bottles to leave perfect air holes around the pit for air flow. It was pretty cool looking....

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The above is true, but not from the cash side.
    Food grade glass will not have post consumer cullet content in general. Insulation manufacturers will use over 65% in some cases, but get their supply from large post consumer collection companies. Prices are low and supply side into the waste stream pays little if anything.

If by food grade glass you mean food containers, Then you're in error. We sat up the machine that I used to operate just this morning to run Ball pint canning jars. . Out of the same tank we're currently making a spaghetti sauce jar, a smucker's jelly jar, Sobe bottles, and I believe a small jelly jar on the little one. It runs between 30 and 35 % cullet. (Cullet is what we call recycled glass.)

Across town is a plant (now closed down) that used to make all sorts of tableware. They used cullet regularly, too. Don't know the percentages, but I do know for a fact that they did. They currently are ran by a small group which makes ONLY drops of glass dropped into water to quick cool, then shipped to a facility directly behind my plant, where their glass is crushed and brought to our shiny new cullet bins to await use. I don't know what they get paid, but apparently it's profitable to run a furnace, rent the plant from the old company, buy a plot behind us, several trucks and a couple of crushers, and pay a few workers to process and transport their product.
    Last quote I heard on bulk cullet (ground up recycled glass) was approx 190.00 to 200.00 per ton. Nobody's gonna get rich at that price, and I make NO guarantees that that's the current price, as I don't have any reason to track that, but it beats throwing it away if you have a bunch.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Molotov Cocktails....

I second this :yesway:

Probably not a good idea, for several reasons:

A.) post-SHTF local FD service is likely to be disrupted.

B.) with no-one to put them out fires spread & out of control fires under the right conditions wild fires can literally turn hundreds of square miles into burnt ash.

We can now throw this theory out since we've been having more rain than Seattle for the past 2 months. Besides, I always imagined post SHFT world as kind of burning anyway.

You could always pee in them. I don't know why but you could. :dunno:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Break into shards and create a booby trap using improvised spring-loaded launcher. Launch at face level. Ouch.

Top Bottom