• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sensor5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    I have been looking at USGI 1911A1 and garand prices for a while now, but what people are asking is ridiculous. If you look on Gunbroker, 1911A1 prices average between $1500 - $2500, depending on the manufacture. Sellers are sticking to their prices, and no one is bidding. The M1 garand aren't do any better. Should the 1911A1, garands, and M1 carbines demand a premium price, or are sellers placing too much value on these old workhorses?

The younger generation doesn't care much about owning these "old-timer" guns, but want tactical cool looking firearms. I had a young guy two years ago ask me, "why do you want that old sh*t for?" I just don't think the demand is there anymore and prices need to be adjusted.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Prices aren't going to adjust. The supply is limited, and probably getting smaller on a normal basis as things break and wear out.

The only thing which will lower prices is discovering a cache of old stuff. We can probably expect some cheap USGI 1911s soon, if the CMP ever gets around to actually release the stock they're being transferred, but those are going to be run-out guns which were in active service for 50+ years.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I still see USGI 1911's around $1000 to $1200. As you know and said the uncommon manufactures bring a premium. As for Garands, in the last 3 weeks I've seen 3 of them sell at live local auctions. People are bidding and paying $1200 regardless of condition. One had a rusty shot out barrel, another looked refinished and the last look like a field grade CMP. So I still see plenty of demand in a very limited supply market. I don't see prices changing anytime soon. Only way to find that deal is to go out and look for it. Only so much can be done behind the keyboard.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It will be interesting to see where the prices go of collector stuff in the coming decades. Car collectors are facing the similar issue of the typical owners of the brass era cars are starting to die off. Stuff tends to be collected by people that can relate to the original use and emotion that an item has. Once those folks depart this world, it's up to the folks that get into it because they have an interest in the era or its artifacts. There are a lot fewer guys below the age of 50 that are into brass era cars than there were folks that grew up in that era and had somewhat of a bond with them. Same thing could happen with the USGI stuff from WWII. Not many guys that used those weapons first hand during WWII are left around, but there are lots of folks that grew up at that time or grew up hearing the stories told by the old vets. The popularity is high today because a lot of us have a lot of knowledge of what those guns were designed to do and how they came about. Sad to say, a lot of the young'uns growing up today have little knowledge of WWII and could not even name the participants or what side they fought on. Ask them about the Battle of Midway and they think you are talking about something that happened at the State Fair. Decades from now, interest in USGI guns may dwindle to enthusiasts that buy and keep collections that not too many others have interest in. Similar to how we think of Civil War weapons. They are interesting to read about, but what percentage of gun owners actually own an authentic Civil War revolver or long arm? I'm guessing that in 1910, an original 1858 Remington or New Army could be found being used as a toy by kids playing cowboys and indians in the neighborhood. Now, the survivors are sought after collectibles that command lots of money.

We'll see the same cycle with the USGI guns too. In the '60s, you could buy any of them cheap and people did. Today, they are running up in value because people appreciate what they are and what they represent. Sooner or later though, they will be fired less and less often and will become museum pieces or collectors items and the number of people willing to spend money on something that they cannot shoot will dwindle.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    It will be interesting to see where the prices go of collector stuff in the coming decades. Car collectors are facing the similar issue of the typical owners of the brass era cars are starting to die off. Stuff tends to be collected by people that can relate to the original use and emotion that an item has. Once those folks depart this world, it's up to the folks that get into it because they have an interest in the era or its artifacts. There are a lot fewer guys below the age of 50 that are into brass era cars than there were folks that grew up in that era and had somewhat of a bond with them. Same thing could happen with the USGI stuff from WWII. Not many guys that used those weapons first hand during WWII are left around, but there are lots of folks that grew up at that time or grew up hearing the stories told by the old vets. The popularity is high today because a lot of us have a lot of knowledge of what those guns were designed to do and how they came about. Sad to say, a lot of the young'uns growing up today have little knowledge of WWII and could not even name the participants or what side they fought on. Ask them about the Battle of Midway and they think you are talking about something that happened at the State Fair. Decades from now, interest in USGI guns may dwindle to enthusiasts that buy and keep collections that not too many others have interest in. Similar to how we think of Civil War weapons. They are interesting to read about, but what percentage of gun owners actually own an authentic Civil War revolver or long arm? I'm guessing that in 1910, an original 1858 Remington or New Army could be found being used as a toy by kids playing cowboys and indians in the neighborhood. Now, the survivors are sought after collectibles that command lots of money.

We'll see the same cycle with the USGI guns too. In the '60s, you could buy any of them cheap and people did. Today, they are running up in value because people appreciate what they are and what they represent. Sooner or later though, they will be fired less and less often and will become museum pieces or collectors items and the number of people willing to spend money on something that they cannot shoot will dwindle.
    Lots of truth in this post. For a real world example look at Model 12 Winchester prices. I'm seeing a slow but steady decline in prices. Think I paid $350 for mine a couple years ago.
    I'm talking sale prices, not wishful thinking gun show prices for a clapped out turd or reblue.
    To be clear, the Model 12 is still the Holy Grail of pump guns.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Im 27, not sure if you consider that young, but i appreciate the old guns. Maybe for those people to get rid of them, thats what they require. Otherwise they would rather just keep them.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport

"I'm guessing that in 1910, an original 1858 Remington or New Army could be found being used as a toy by kids playing cowboys and indians in the neighborhood. Now, the survivors are sought after collectibles that command lots of money. "

What you mention above was in fact true. My grandfather was born in 1895 and died in 1978. He used to tell my father stories about his uncle(my great,great, uncle)who was a Union soldier during the war. When my grandfather was a child he would set on his uncles knee and listen to war stories and play with his uncles actual Civil War Colt powder flask that he had carried and used during the war, much like a kid nowadays plays with Lego's. That and my grandfather played with old coins and money that his uncle had brought back from the war. Never dreaming it would one day be valuable? We now have that original Colt powder flask on display at my dads house as a family heirloom. So what you say is so true regarding these old war trophies/firearms.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    "I'm guessing that in 1910, an original 1858 Remington or New Army could be found being used as a toy by kids playing cowboys and indians in the neighborhood. Now, the survivors are sought after collectibles that command lots of money. "

What you mention above was in fact true. My grandfather was born in 1895 and died in 1978. He used to tell my father stories about his uncle(my great,great, uncle)who was a Union soldier during the war. When my grandfather was a child he would set on his uncles knee and listen to war stories and play with his uncles actual Civil War Colt powder flask that he had carried and used during the war, much like a kid nowadays plays with Lego's. That and my grandfather played with old coins and money that his uncle had brought back from the war. Never dreaming it would one day be valuable? We now have that original Colt powder flask on display at my dads house as a family heirloom. So what you say is so true regarding these old war trophies/firearms.

Now that is a kickass story.

Top Bottom