• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Going to my first Appleseed in Sept. at Sand Burr gun range in Rochester. I want to take my new .308 and need some recommendations for cheap/consistent ammo. Any ideas? Has anyone bought ammo from Sand Burr before to know if they are competitive? My gun is a Savage 10 FP

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You do know that there is timed rapid fire stages sitting/kneeling, and prone? Do you have a way to load with 5 round stripper clips? If not, it is going to be tough getting 10 shots off in the time limits.

I don't know of any cheap 308 ammo anywhere, anymore. I don't think 50 cents a round is cheap. But any that you find will be consistant. Lots of mail order places have 308.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Woah. .308 with a bolt action is hardcore for Appleseed. Admittedly it is on my list of "ways to achieve rifleman in the future" - but it is probably last on the list right behind shooting a rifleman with a 1903.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Thanks Sloughfoot. I didn't know about the timed trials. I plan on taking my .22 also so hopefully I can use that for those trials?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    By the component and I will donate the brass if you give it back ;) Come over here for an evening of hand loading and a couple cold ones, lets save you some cash!

Nevermind, just saw your home town, your still welcome though :D

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Woah. .308 with a bolt action is hardcore for Appleseed. Admittedly it is on my list of "ways to achieve rifleman in the future" - but it is probably last on the list right behind shooting a rifleman with a 1903.

:dunno:
    Maybe too much gun for the first time? Do you think I would be better off with my .223 AR and my .22 ? Or do people normally just focus on 1 gun ?

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    By the component and I will donate the brass if you give it back ;) Come over here for an evening of hand loading and a couple cold ones, lets save you some cash!

Nevermind, just saw your home town, your still welcome though :D

Wow ! That's an awesome offer. Thanks - I got no idea where Greenwood is but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The majority of shooting at an appleseed takes place at 25 meters - at least for the first day. Some places stretch out to 100 on the second day.

I would shoot a good running .22 with decent sights and a USGI web sling. I'd focus on learning the positions and skills and then worry about stepping it up later.

Your ammo will be about 1/10th the cost, too.

The way the line is run, you're not going to have a whole lot of opportunities to swap out your rifle - if any. If you do - you're going to have to relearn everything you worked on before you changed out your rifle.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    The majority of shooting at an appleseed takes place at 25 meters - at least for the first day. Some places stretch out to 100 on the second day.

I would shoot a good running .22 with decent sights and a USGI web sling. I'd focus on learning the positions and skills and then worry about stepping it up later.

Your ammo will be about 1/10th the cost, too.

The way the line is run, you're not going to have a whole lot of opportunities to swap out your rifle - if any. If you do - you're going to have to relearn everything you worked on before you changed out your rifle.

Thanks. So you recommend regular iron sights not a scope ?

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Whatever you have, bring it.... Glass is a option, factory sights are fine. We only shoot to 25 yds, the targets are scaled to represent a 20" sillouette at 100-400 yds. The course of fire for the weekend will sometimes use up 300 rounds. I have not been to Sand Burr, but, we shoot known distance at 100 yds on Sunday, so the AR or 308 would work for that.

A sling is a real necessity, we teach how to properly sling up for a stable shooting platform.

Any more questions you might have, feel free to ask! There are some "Stickies" in the Appleseed section that may help. Also, there are some real good you tube videos out there too.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Use what you want. Sand Burr is not caliber-restricted.

Irons or scope is fine. Both have advantages and challenges. Internal magazine bolt actions without provision for clip loading are going to be challenging for the reasons sloughfoot mentioned - namely the timed sections of the AQT. For the greater part of Saturday the timing is much more relaxed but late Saturday and most of Sunday we step things up.

This is not to say it's an inappropriate choice of a rifle. We've had shooters use everything from a brand-new SOCOM II to a Henry lever-action .22 to a Cricket. However, having a removable magazine rifle will free you to focus on your position and the six steps to firing the shot.

I'll be the Shoot Boss for the Rochester event this month but I don't know if I'll be able to get the time off to work in September. Regardless, if you have any questions about the course of fire or rifle choice feel free to ask.

Top Bottom