• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    You are understanding the exercise correctly. I should have added more detail. The reason it was on the touch of the gun, is that sometimes the trainer would go for his wallet, sometimes his gun.

In a RL scenario, the offender is more than likely going to point his weapon and given an instruction. Most likely asking you to give him something. When the offender is expecting the valuables he requested, and instead, you produce a weapon of your own, it starts the process all over again.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    Or the perp ran as the good guys gun came out of the holster before he had his sights lined up to fire. We don't know how long the moment of pause was but things could have changed as soon as the bad guy caught wind of the gun before it was pointed at him

We might never know .

If the perp was running away before the holster was cleared, then sure, don't shoot them in the back. But, if the weapon cleared the holster and the d-bag is still pointing a gun at you, I really hope you shoot because it isn't likely the perp won't.

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You're supposed to keep shooting until the threat is neutralized. The OP describes a threat that was neutralized before the first shot. That's good, right? I don't understand the debate here.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    24 yrs ago, my sons were very young, I answered an ad for "Armed Security:Part time"

I had been through the LEO Academy, and only part time at the PD. Went through the "Security Training" program at the company,(yep, they had a program, not like now a days) and took a part time(nights only) assignment. Pretty boring, but liked the people, jobsites were clean, and the $ helped with diapers and formula.

On the way home, stopped for the gallon of milk/bread and observed two hoodies hanging at the rear of the store. I asked if the clerk(teenager girl) knew them, and she answered "Nope". She called the PD, and as the two were leaving,muttered,"five oh" and walked away. As the Sheriff Deputys arrived, we pointed in the direction and the walkers were stopped.

Both had utility knives and shoplifted stuff earlier at Kmart. Went for B&B at the local "Gray Bar Hotel"

One Deputy thought that I should have drawn down on them, backed up by a part time LEO commision. I felt the safety of the clerk and myself was number one priority.They did not appear to be a risk at the time, just suspicious.
    When you are in Security, you don't have arrest powers. Observe and report was the issue, and no one was injured. Didn't want to put my PD in legal jeopardy either.
    Shortly thereafter, went full time at the PD, let the "Security" go.
    #1 Rule. Finish the shift, go home alive.

Last edited:

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    If I am in a situation where an individual 3 feet to my right has a gun pointed at me, I've already failed. Poor situational awareness. Not going to try to outdraw somebody who has already won that race before I started. I would have tried to change positions first. Lucky he didn't catch a bullet in the face as soon as the grip of his gun became visible. Glad it turned out as it did.

Top Bottom