• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Many years ago we used to get dynamite at the local co-op and pop stumps with it. I don't remember it being very expensive and it was behind the counter. We would be a bit back and use a spin detonator to fire the cap.
    Pretty cool video, especially the little *chuckle* in his voice when LMW asked if the camera was still running.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Grandpa and his cohort used to just pick up dynamite at the local hardware. Always a story about the misplaced rock or stump landing on a roof! The good old days.

The first explosives I bought in 1990 when I turned 21, I walked into Beard's Hardware in Vincennes, told them what I wanted, they handed me a form much like a 4473 which was a limited use license also known as a "day" license which basically meant I had to use it the same day unless I had the proper magazine. I filled it out, walked out with 5lbs of Tovex and 5 electric detonators.

Beard's was the last place in Indiana that sold to the public and they stopped in about '95. You could still buy but you had to find someone willing to sell to you and they usually required 10million in liability insurance and that you had a licensed magazine because they wouldn't sell small quantities. Then in 2002 the regulations changed and simply to purchase you have to have a license and an inspected magazine. It's not hard to do, anyone getting an FFL has to jump through the same hoops, but it's such a PITA that someone wanting to take out a stump or two or remove a rock ledge can't do it, but it did make it a little easier to find companies willing to sell to you since you actually had a license in hand.

Of course, much like class III stuff, if you have a neighbor complain you're blasting on your property, even if it's perfectly legal, it's going to be a PITA if the ATF gets involved in investigating it. And for heaven's sake, don't toss rocks or dirt on the neighbor's house... I once saw flyrock land over a thousand feet away.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm calling the tree lovers on you OP! :rofl:

--update--
    The mrs. just saw the video and said...
    "redneck jack!"
    & was rolling her eyes about you asking "did u get any pictures".

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    That is awesome!

You have been awarded full credit for solving the problem, plus the following extra credit points:

+1 for remembering to point the blast away from the house
    +1 for filming it
    +1 for having a great time doing it!

We've done a few experiments ourselves up to 1lb or so and have some impressive results on some soft targets like pumpkins, etc. Even some good screen shots like your's that show the initial flash over and subesquent pressure wave.

In fact, we're thinking of going into business planting pumpkin patches explosively with tannerite. :rockwoot:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    We used the legal limit *ahem* in a piano, that was a fun one. It was quite an awesome final song played... I think it sounded something like this, "BOOOOOOOOM!"

Congrats on getting the stump out! And an even better congrats for having a wife who puts up with your antics!

Sounded like "BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!". Wait ten seconds "ting ting ting ting ting". All the pieces falling out of the sky. Haha. Good times.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I'm calling the tree lovers on you OP! :rofl:

--update--
    The mrs. just saw the video and said...
    "redneck jack!"
    & was rolling her eyes about you asking "did u get any pictures".

Well, the stump episode certainly did have the 'hillbilly' feel to it.
    I hope to meet your Mrs. some day and have an opportunity to redeem myself! :)

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Well, the stump episode certainly did have the 'hillbilly' feel to it.
    I hope to meet your Mrs. some day and have an opportunity to redeem myself! :)

This is an instant epic WIN!! I'm still chuckling!

I thought I heard a kaboom the other day...heck this is Brown County...you could have sold tickets to the 'event'!

The first thing that came to mind for me was the line from the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid..."think you used enough dynamite there Butch?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHXK2t50S-8

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    oh glad you still have glass in your house!!

nges03.jpg

nq7ddj.jpg

Glass, that's funny..
    I know of some young men that were blowing stumps from a piece of property that had bought the year before to hunt on.
    It had a very nice cabin on it at one end of the valley that had full glass windows at both ends.
    When the guys went back to the cabin to eat lunch, all the glass was in little chunks, the concussion rolled down the hallway and eliminated all intact glass from the cabin.

I may or may not have been involved.. :dunno:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I just showed HamsterStyleJr and the wife. We watched it about 6 times and they just keep saying, "did you get any pictures?" And "are you still recording?" Hahahahaha

Top Bottom