• ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Sharpening with the Wicked Edge

I've gotten several questions in the last few days so I thought I'd post a pictorial of how I use the Wicked Edge to sharpen a knife. I borrowed a Cold Steel from a friend because I don't have many knives of my own. It had some pretty decent chipping and rolling to the edge.

IMG_1998_zpsa1936583.jpg

First step is to lock the blade into the vise. There are two options for locating the blade and a guide with two posts that you use to set the depth in the vise. Being a wider blade I used the lower of the two holes. There is also a guide which allows you to place the blade in the vise at the same spot. It attaches to the two pin guide and you use where the the end of the blade falls on the measurements.

IMG_2000_zps295e930f.jpg

Tighten the blade in the vise with the two clamping screws, remove the guides and you're ready o determine your sharpening angle.

IMG_2001_zpsb946fa6d.jpg

I use a Sharpie marker on the blade to determine where to set the angle of the stones.

IMG_2003_zps2aae4d27.jpg

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A couple of light passes with a stone will show you how your stone is matching up with the existing angle.

This blade was pretty rough so I figured this was a decent angle to start.

IMG_2005_zps021e832d.jpg

I use an angle finder to determine the exact angle of the left side stone.

IMG_2006_zpsadee0ddb.jpg

Then I set the adjustment to the same notch on the right stone and compare with the angle finder.

IMG_2007_zps5d24413e.jpg

It was off a little bit so I went to the fine adjustment to correct the discrepancy. First I loosen the thumb screw.

IMG_2008_zps52a89f59.jpg

Then use the hex wrench to turn the helm joint out until the angle finder shows that I've matched the angle with the left side stone.

IMG_2009_zps187a9543.jpg

Once it's there I tighten the thumb screw and it's time to grind.

IMG_2010_zpsa7a4cbe2.jpg

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I took a few passes with the #50 stone and followed with the #80 to get the edges to meet up down the length of the blade.

IMG_2012_zps84752e66.jpg

Then many passes with the #100 & #200

IMG_2013_zps1e08ba06.jpg

Then on to the #400 and #600

IMG_2015_zps516087a9.jpg

Then on to the #800, #1000, #1200 and #1600 ceramics. I forgot to stop and take a pic until after I had finished with all four stones.

IMG_2018_zps8ae7703d.jpg

It easily shaves hair now

IMG_2016_zps653ab041.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That's the process I use for sharpening with the Wicked Edge. As I mentioned in the other thread I don't have the ability to sharpen serrated blades with it and I can only do touch ups on concave blades. I can do blades up to 1/4" wide and angles from 13* to 35*. If you've got standard blades I can sharpen them for you if you'd like them done. $5 plus $1 per inch and return shipping if required.

For an additional charge I can polish the blade as well. I did this with the Strider SNG I used to have.

IMG_1477.jpg

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Phylodog, you need an apprentice. You seem to have this whole life thing figured out. You sharpen knives, shoot long range, shoot precision rimfire, build pretty sweet homeland defense rifles and more. I can only imagine your day is full of nothing but winning. :D

fantastic write up. I have a feeling that I am going to be getting a wicked set up now.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How long does it take to sharper the blade on one knife ?

Depends on the quality of the edge you're looking for. You can take a crap edge, reprofile it and make it shaving sharp in 20 minutes once you get used to the system. If you want it polished and near perfect it will take a good bit longer.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    From personal experience, I decided to be cheap and save money by getting the basic kit. Bad idea.
    Care to elaborate? I like the idea of this system, but I really don't want to drop $700 all at once for the full blown kit. Where would by a good starting point? Should I go with the Pro pack I and upgrade later, or should I just save up for the full blown system?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll say that there isn't anything in the $700 system that isn't useful. If you buy a cheaper pack and end up buying the additional items here and there you'll end up spending more money than if you bought everything all at once.

They didn't have the $700 system when I bought my W.E.. I spent a year buying additional pieces and I'm sure I spent well over $700 by the time it was all said & done.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Care to elaborate? I like the idea of this system, but I really don't want to drop $700 all at once for the full blown kit. Where would by a good starting point? Should I go with the Pro pack I and upgrade later, or should I just save up for the full blown system?
    Same question I have. Look at the web site and see the $700.00 set and there is an update for another $145.00 to the already expensive system or is this included ? :dunno:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    The $700 set comes with the latest/greatest upgrades.

Thanks for answering my question. Can the W.E. be bought local or online, as I see the dealer in Madison,Wi. is close to me. Bet this is a lot of information you gave out today on the W.E., thanks for your help.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Sure, I bought the basic system for $275 plus shipping. I didn't get the base or the 800-1,000 grit sharpener, so add another $130 plus shipping. That will put me over $390 and I don't have the strops. I'm not sure the strops are absolutely necessary, but I do want the fifty grit for really chewed up blades.

At a minimum, I would get the pro pack I. I bought mine last year around late summer and I still haven't used it because I have no base...

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I can't tell from their website if their base is necessary or not. I have material to mount the stand to. Are their bases better than, for example, a 24x24 inch aluminum plate to mount the clamp to? Are the upgrade guide rods and angle finder must haves?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    The basic kit doesn't come with the clamping system, so you have to have something to drill holes through to mount it to. The upgraded angle thing, I couldn't tell you if it's absolutely necessary. I've only used the old style, and, while it's kind of a pain to get exact angles on both sides, I was able to get a razor edge. I think the angle finder isn't a must have, but I wouldn't go without it. It makes setting the angles idiot proof.

Top Bottom