• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Really good break down of human instinct in relation to self-defense.

Responses to threats:

Individual - protect self, run away (20% chance of success)
    Maternal - protect others, sacrifice self (less than 1% chance)
    Paternal - charge & neutralize threat (80% success)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Where do the chances of success come from? He doesn't really say directly. Vietnam VC ambushes?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The other most important element in self defense circumstances is situational awareness. In fact I’d just about say situational awareness is THE key element in self defense circumstances. :dunno:

This. You dont have to accept the invitation to every fight. The best way to come out on top in a fight is to avoid it in the first place.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The other most important element in self defense circumstances is situational awareness. In fact I’d just about say situational awareness is THE key element in self defense circumstances. :dunno:
    This. You dont have to accept the invitation to every fight. The best way to come out on top in a fight is to avoid it in the first place.

I'm sure you gents are aware.

Often on the interwebs though, the term situational awareness gets thrown around with abandon. Especially when we "after-action" something that has gotten sketchy for someone else.

I'll never forget a number of years back, when I watched a couple training buddies, well versed in SA, walk right into a potential hotbox.

I literally drug another (clueless) friend behind cover, so we could observe from distance.

:n00b:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Often on the interwebs though, the term situational awareness gets thrown around with abandon. Especially when we "after-action" something that has gotten sketchy for someone else.

I'll never forget a number of years back, when I watched a couple training buddies, well versed in SA, walk right into a potential hotbox.

I literally drug another (clueless) friend behind cover, so we could observe from distance.

Yep. the number of people bopping around wearing expensive headphones/earbuds with their nose buried in their phones is astounding.

I dont feel totally comfy doing yardwork with earbuds in. And my hood isnt that dangerous.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

SA is ultra important. I think we can all agree on that. Unfortunately some people, especially those of us who have studied this, see it as a panacea. It is not. Everyone can be got, no one can be aware all the time. Could almost everyone pay more attention to the proper things? Yes. And also yes, many just pay lip service to it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    SA is ultra important. I think we can all agree on that. Unfortunately some people, especially those of us who have studied this, see it as a panacea. It is not. Everyone can be got, no one can be aware all the time. Could almost everyone pay more attention to the proper things? Yes. And also yes, many just pay lip service to it.

I think the practical idea of being situationally aware on the street comes within swinging distance of paranoia?

If you aren't looking for trouble, it might just sneak up on you?

:dunno:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I think the practical idea of being situationally aware on the street comes within swinging distance of paranoia?

If you aren't looking for trouble, it might just sneak up on you?

:dunno:
    I agree. There is a certain well known trainer who tells the story of telling girl scouts "I have nothing for you" because it was a possible SA violation. We also have come to find that PTSD (or whatever it is now referred to as), can be from the always switched on necessity in war time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont think anyone is suggesting we should run around in condition orange all the time, or inspecting each person with the assumption they are out to get you unless they prove otherwise. (Well, that instructor probably would.) LOL

But too many operate on the OTHER side of white in their own oblivious bubble, meaning bigfoot could tapdance across the sidewalk in front of them but they would have no idea.

So probably something in the middle is healthy.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I dont think anyone is suggesting we should run around in condition orange all the time, or inspecting each person with the assumption they are out to get you unless they prove otherwise. (Well, that instructor probably would.) LOL

But too many operate on the OTHER side of white in their own oblivious bubble, meaning bigfoot could tapdance across the sidewalk in front of them but they would have no idea.

I think condition orange should be your go to for certain situations ie fueling up. See so many people staring directly at their wallet putting card in pump and their gaze never leaves the center of the fuel pump.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

My dad started on me at a young age.
    When I first started staying out of the house after dark he told me to do several things as a matter of habit.
    Always watch shadows. It may not be much time, but can give you a heads up if someone is following you

Watch store windows and use them like mirrors to watch behind you...
    Once I was ready to leave for the military he knew I would be visiting bars.
    He told me, the first thing you do when you walk into a building is look for the exits.
    Know where they are, and be mindful of how difficult it may be to access.
    Situational awareness has been drilled into me for a very long time.
    Actually, one of my favorite pastimes is watching people.
    Some do some pretty stupid s**t on a regular basis.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My dad started on me at a young age.
    When I first started staying out of the house after dark he told me to do several things as a matter of habit.
    Always watch shadows. It may not be much time, but can give you a heads up if someone is following you

Watch store windows and use them like mirrors to watch behind you...
    Once I was ready to leave for the military he knew I would be visiting bars.
    He told me, the first thing you do when you walk into a building is look for the exits.
    Know where they are, and be mindful of how difficult it may be to access.
    Situational awareness has been drilled into me for a very long time.
    Actually, one of my favorite pastimes is watching people.
    Some do some pretty stupid s**t on a regular basis.
    Good advice.
    Finer point:
    When walking near a road and you see your shadow from a car approaching from behind. If your shadow is not quickly swinging over toward the ditch, MOVE. It means he doesnt see you and is about to hit you. (of course you should be walking against traffic so you can see oncoming cars)

When scanning for exits, do NOT disregard kitchen doors that say employees only. If the SHTF it is a VERY viable exit. Screw the rules.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I remember INGO early on. There were a whole host of folks who couldn't be bothered to "kit up," just to go down the street to the convenience store. IIRC, the discussion was in reference to how you carry in gym shorts.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The other most important element in self defense circumstances is situational awareness.
    In fact I’d just about say situational awareness is THE key element in self defense circumstances. :dunno:
    Situational awareness is the FIRST STEP in self-defense circumstances...
    It is a learned skill, one that is practiced daily and everywhere one goes...
    Your instincts are then tuned into responding to what's going on around you!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I remember INGO early on. There were a whole host of folks who couldn't be bothered to "kit up," just to go down the street to the convenience store. IIRC, the discussion was in reference to how you carry in gym shorts.

Yep. I frequently drive around the corner to my corner mart/gas station. And its one that has been robbed, folks shot at the pumps, etc.
    If I'm in my PJs (Tshirt and gym shorts) I wont hesitate to throw my shoes on, grab just my M16, and make a quick run.

*M16-10ks CRKT defensive folder tanto blade (gotcha!) :lmfao:

Top Bottom