• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Nice. They're aren't really junk though. Part of the reason they got new ones is that they allow for more functionality in that the sleeping system fits into the new design MUCH better and it allows you to separate your gear a little more. They are shorter, but wider so there's no adverse affects on smaller people using them as much as the old style.

I haven't humped extensive miles with these new systems, but some close friends have. The thing is, that any Marine will like new gear because it's typically an improvement in some aspect, but not all. The older packs weren't really "bad" to begin with if kept in good shape. They'll serve 99% of civilian needs without a problem for sure.

I'm VERY happy with my purchase! Many thanks to CathyinBlue, SmileDocHill and CountryBoy19 for making it happen so effortlessly for me.

The packs are anything but junk. That's just my loving son's way of encouraging me. He's just pissed that I gave him my Colt Government instead of my Kimber for Christmas. And that the Colt M-4 that I gave him didn't come with an ACOG. He's funny that way. I blame his mother. :D

Seriously, this is some GREAT gear! I have no clue how I will ever use it to its capacity -- I wouldn't even be able to lift it if I ever crammed it full!

Now I'm getting kinda anxious to see what nifty gubment surpluss GB you guys will come up with next. NVGs? 240Bravos? Mark 19s? :rockwoot:

Oh, and SDH ... who in the world uses BLACK dental floss?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm VERY happy with my purchase! Many thanks to CathyinBlue, SmileDocHill and CountryBoy19 for making it happen so effortlessly for me.

The packs are anything but junk. That's just my loving son's way of encouraging me. He's just pissed that I gave him my Colt Government instead of my Kimber for Christmas. And that the Colt M-4 that I gave him didn't come with an ACOG. He's funny that way. I blame his mother. :D

Seriously, this is some GREAT gear! I have no clue how I will ever use it to its capacity -- I wouldn't even be able to lift it if I ever crammed it full!

Now I'm getting kinda anxious to see what nifty gubment surpluss GB you guys will come up with next. NVGs? 240Bravos? Mark 19s? :rockwoot:

LOL

Yeah, I've been wanting an ACOG for a while. I just haven't forked out that kind of cash yet. The way things are going recently, I've had more important preparations to work on.

ParaManAR15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Great write up, thank you...helped me out a ton and I didn't have to go digging through the internet to find all the info. I haven't had the chance to try the pack on with my Tac Vest yet but everything seems good to go.

Rep going your way

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Yeah, my daughter was in the Marines and said the pack I got was in great shape. Couldn't be happier. She wants to take her kids camping someplace different once a year and I will probably get in on the act since I seem to be the one with all the gear from packs to tents to stoves.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Just a heads up, there seems to be some new hydration bladders out there that appear to be nearly identical to mil-spec and should work with the USMC GI carriers.
    They are made by Skilcraft and are 3L bladders. They are around $15 which is a lot better than the true mil-spec at half the cost if they work. I ordered two and will report back here if they fit well or not.

ke7cq

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Near Beech Grove
    Thanks for the info, I had one of these and it disappeared from my front seat along with my camera gear. These are great. Incidentally I did get my photo gear back believe it or not.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Just a heads up, there seems to be some new hydration bladders out there that appear to be nearly identical to mil-spec and should work with the USMC GI carriers.
    They are made by Skilcraft and are 3L bladders. They are around $15 which is a lot better than the true mil-spec at half the cost if they work. I ordered two and will report back here if they fit well or not.

I'm trying this one and will let you know how it works:
    Amazon.com: Ultimate Arms Gear Tactical OD Olive Drab Green 2.5 Liter / 84 oz. Replacement Hydration Backpack Water Bladder Reservoir - Includes Hosing And Hands Free Bite Valve: Sports & Outdoors

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

So did these fit? I looked at a couple places and didn't see them at your stated price.

If they worked can you link to them? I would like to grab a couple.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I have a clever tip to contribute. I just bought a Gen2 at "The Bunker" in Mishawaka. Great guy, by the way. My bag came without the lid so I bought one on eBay. The lid was gen1 and as mentioned in the OP the buckles are not compatible. Since the bag and the lid each have male buckles on one side and females on the other, I just swapped the females on the lid with the females on the bag. Thus I have the tan buckles near my neck and the black buckles on the back of the pack. This also helps me distinguish quickly which buckles are required to open the bag top. I sat here for a week thinking about how I was going to resolve this little issue before the lightbulb went off. Happy bag packing!

-Dobber

EDIT: Typos.

Top Bottom