• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I've done a bit of research and the only thing I can see that's bad about these is the tang being pencil thin, but that's only a problem if I'm beating the crap out of wood. In that case I'll put my hatchet on the other side of my belt :D

So what do you guys think? Good purchase? It's 1095 "Cro-Van" and there's YouTube videos of people shaving with them right out of the box. Mines in the mail, got it from a long distance friend, I'll post pics when I get it. The reviews I found on it were great, unless you were beating the crap out of wood and the blade snapped off the tang, then the review was bad. :laugh:

Anyways what do you think? Will this knife perform as an EDC/b.o.b./neato leather handled knife? I'm not going to spend over $70 for a knife so I couldn't justify a ESEE or whatever in the $100+ range. Sure there are better knifes but for the money I have the Kabar seems like a great deal.

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    honestly the new kbars are garbage. they just don't hold up to any destruction/abuse. there is much better out there even for the money. look at becker knives for your price range.

if your have a true old school kbar they are solid but the newer ones break with little use.

i have to ask this what kind of guns do you carry? it's always wild to me that folks will spend 500 or more on a gun but are so reluctant to spend any money on a knife (which you will probably end up using a lot more in the real world )

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    my kabar is 26 years old and is a good solid knife no rust no oose hande at all. My sheath gets mink oiled once a year or so and its in good shape ass well. The absolute nicest thing is how it fits my hand.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    For the price I would get a Becker BK-2. The kabar's tip is so thin it will snap off prying anything. I like mine, but my BK-2 is better in every way, except the handle which needs some criss cross grooves with a round file to make it more grippy. The BK-2 has some weight behind it for better chopping, pounding etc. Google some reviews/mods of it.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You should be fine as long as you use it solely for cutting task. I've had a couple, and didn't use them much with the exception of skinning out the occasional deer, etc.... I think there are many better knives in that price range, but I also understand there is something very iconic about a KaBar USMC.

releo 37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Tradertator is right about them being iconic. I would be willing to bet there's not a Marine out there that doesn't have one stashed some where.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Tradertator is right about them being iconic. I would be willing to bet there's not a Marine out there that doesn't have one stashed some where.

Mine is some 30 years old. It has opened steel C-Rations cans without a thought.
    It has opened steel ammunition cans, no problems. It has hacked down small trees, and I HAVE beat mine with a hammer, to chop through wood.

The old, original K-Bars are priceless, in my opinion. :patriot:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    the only bad things I've heard about Kabars is that you have to be really careful with them or else you'll kill yourself.

and what Grunt Soldier just said about the new ones being garbage.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I would also agree that there are better options out there for the money. Don't get me wrong, I like the classic USMC knife, but ka-bar itself produces a better line knives, like the beckers, for the same price. If it's already in the mail then what does the opinion of any of us matter? when you get it, use the heck out of it! If it breaks you have some suggestions for a better knife in the same price range.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Mine is some 30 years old. It has opened steel C-Rations cans without a thought.
    It has opened steel ammunition cans, no problems. It has hacked down small trees, and I HAVE beat mine with a hammer, to chop through wood.

The old, original K-Bars are priceless, in my opinion. :patriot:
    i picked up a WW2 era naval k-bar at a yard sale last year (7 bucks!:rockwoot:). although it shows quite a bit of use (hammer marks on back) i have no doubt that it would give another lifetime of use. i've not used it for anything more strenuous than skinning squirrels though, keeping it as more of a collectible.

too bad to hear about the quality of the new ones, i do like the way this one fits my hand.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    i have to ask this what kind of guns do you carry? it's always wild to me that folks will spend 500 or more on a gun but are so reluctant to spend any money on a knife (which you will probably end up using a lot more in the real world )

Truthfully at the moment just a humble mosin and a single shot 12 gauge shotty and the 12 gauge was free.

And Knifelady I was going to but my friend needed money and he had the kabar! Next knife I need I'll come find you :)

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    i picked up a WW2 era naval k-bar at a yard sale last year (7 bucks!:rockwoot:). although it shows quite a bit of use (hammer marks on back) i have no doubt that it would give another lifetime of use. i've not used it for anything more strenuous than skinning squirrels though, keeping it as more of a collectible.

too bad to hear about the quality of the new ones, i do like the way this one fits my hand.

Peanut butter and jelly, these two are not.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Truthfully at the moment just a humble mosin and a single shot 12 gauge shotty and the 12 gauge was free.

And Knifelady I was going to but my friend needed money and he had the kabar! Next knife I need I'll come find you :)

lol no worries i wasn't actually directing it at you but folks come in to the cutting edge all the time and say what can i get. i want a knife that can take all the abuse in the world but i only have 30 bucks what should i get. and then you look at there gun collection and they have 800 dollar pistols and won't touch a hi-point.

either way if you got the knife congrats. as long as you enjoy the knife that is all that matters.

zspeed130

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Indy, South side
    Some of the KA BARnext Gens can be had for around $50. They make a really good knife for the money if you need one that big. I find a 3-4" blade generally serves almost every purpose a good hatchet or saw will not.

Z

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've broken two of them. But then again I can be pretty hard on a knife. If you're not abusing it, it will hold up. but you never know when you might have to pry your way through a wrecked car door or something.

Top Bottom