• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    So you're saying your carrier DELIVERS your mail? What a concept.....

I had an email the other day that my package had been delivered to my front door at 10:48 a.m. It was finally in the mailbox at about 3 p.m. I knew it was pointless to call and complain, but I was pretty impressed that it arrived the same day. My mailbox is NOWHERE CLOSE to my front door since our driveway is about 800 feet long.

I often get delivery confirmation saying it is here, and then I get it days later.

That's how USPS works here also. My driveway is only about 450 feet long, but you can't see the house from the road.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    That's how USPS works here also. My driveway is only about 450 feet long, but you can't see the house from the road.

Ours is not visible from the road either. I only know they have delivered when I get the tracking email but then go to the box only to find I didn't get any mail yet. I had one Ebay package that was scanned as delivered but the next tracking showed it had been sent back to the sorting facility in Fort Wayne so she had to have put it in her outgoing mail bin. That order had a guaranteed delivery date by Ebay so I got a voucher from the for $5 off another order, but it took a couple more days to get the item and it was for a repair hubby was doing for someone who had been promised the repair would be done by a particular date. It didn't get done on time.

We have a new postmaster, and he is getting to know me well already. I would get a PO box but our post office is only open for a few hours each morning while I'm at work so packages would have to be picked up at the counter and their hours would not allow me to do that with my work schedule. The PO boxes are available but the window area is locked except for 3 or 4 hours each morning.

UPS or Fed Ex are preferred as they both do a pretty good job here with very few issues. Unfortunately, shippers keep doing the smartpost service where they deliver it to the USPS and then I have to wait additional days for it to get the last few miles from the PO to my house.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Have any of you actually been inside one of these facility's while they are full on Gung-Ho rolling. I have. Both UPS and Fed-X. Servicing the HVAC equipment. Makes you cringe watching the lift drivers. The people are being pushed constantly to get more done. After a while they stop caring I guess. UPS is very bad about this. Or it was when I was taking care of the Indianapolis facility's.
    Fed-X ground facility was a mad house. Head on a swivel or get run down.

Not making excuses. This is the result of the On line ordering world.

This is the result in cheap shippers refusing to staff up appropriately to handle the contracts they bid on. Frankly, I'm surprised they even have them any HVAC at all.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    When I moved into my current apartment, the mail guy was great. He was there at 930 am, I could almost set my watch on this guy showing up. Everything was sorted correctly between the other two apartments. If I had a package, he would walk it up to my door and knock. Then I don't know what happened. He was gone and almost everyone we've had since then has been a drooling idiot.

•Can't put the mail in the correct boxes,
    •No consistency to when they show up
    •If a package won't fit in the mail box, they'll put a notice in the box that I wasn't home. The boxes are on the street, they've done this when I was home, sitting in the living room watching TV or whatever. In reality, they just can't be bothered to get out and exercise their bulbous asses for 15 ft. One time they didn't bother to show up at all. One neighbor and I were waiting for packages that tracked as delivered but they didn't show up until the next day.
    •Every time they F up bad or frequently enough. I'll call the Post office and complain. They talk to the person or just change the carrier and things are good for a while, and then we get an idiot again eventually.

I've never had a problem with UPS or FedEx. I put my phone number on my door once and the FedEx guy actually called and asked if I would be home later because he had to drive almost right past me on the way back to the delivery station. It was something that had to be signed for and I happened to go to get something for lunch when he showed up. He made a slight detour on the way back just for that.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yep. She apparently felt it was not her problem.

Approximately a month ago I had a package (USPS Priority box) delivered that was completely destroyed. My mail carrier made a note on his hand held scanner and stood there while I opened it to inspect the contents.
    I'm not sure how my items weren't destroyed but the service and seemingly responsibility of my carrier was commendable.
    It's too bad the systems have outgrown their britches and could give a **** about anything other than their checks.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    At my old house we had similar problems from the regular guy. He flat refused to get out of the truck. If there was a package or signature-required item, he’d just put the notice in the box and move on. I complained over and over again, as did my neighbors. The postmaster eventually told us our complaints wouldn’t change anything because this guy had like 30 years on the job and what he was doing was not something he could be disciplined for.

Ain't unions great?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is the result in cheap shippers refusing to staff up appropriately to handle the contracts they bid on. Frankly, I'm surprised they even have them any HVAC at all.

The docks and sort area is mainly heat only and air circulation.
    FedX ground in amariplex has no heat on the docks.
    Office areas are conditioned.
    I agree on the profit motives.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Growing up our address was Rural Route 1. No box number, just Rural Route 1. The mail carrier went to school with my Dad, the sub was a cousin of Grandma. I'm afraid those days are over.
    We were Rt 5. And the neighbor lady would leave a glass of cold milk, and a couple of homemade cookies for the mailman. His name was Jay! The 60s. And yes , those days are long gone.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Until he got a promotion, my old mailman was a fellow classmate of mine. We actually used to run together a while when we were teenagers. He regularly got a water bottle in the mailbox. After multiple trials they finally settled on current fellow. One of those disconnected always airpods kinda guys. The USPS recently lost an eotech on it's way for service. They ended up doing me a favor though...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They clearly thought your tailgate needed a set of handle bars...

Normally it's FedEx that does me like that, except the box would be empty in addition to being destroyed.

My problem is usually UPS. The boxes look like they tossed them out of the aircraft at 30000 feet as it passed over my house

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I do recall one notable UPS mangulation. We'd send a piece of test equipment to the manufacturer for some repairs. We'd get it back next day air with a bill for $200. The manufacturer's policy was to return it the way they'd received it. We finally figured out that UPS was upgrading us to next day air when they saw we'd insured the thing for $15000. They wanted rid of it as soon as possible. This was a good policy; even with their brief possession, we got one back that had been forked. I mean all the way forked, complete with exit wound. It was good there was so much foam in there, despite their best effort they'd missed the actual equipment.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    At my old house we had similar problems from the regular guy. He flat refused to get out of the truck. If there was a package or signature-required item, he’d just put the notice in the box and move on. I complained over and over again, as did my neighbors. The postmaster eventually told us our complaints wouldn’t change anything because this guy had like 30 years on the job and what he was doing was not something he could be disciplined for.
    Same problem with the VA, unions shops, teachers, professors etc.
    Most problem workers didnt earn anything. They just got kicked down the road for some other manager to deal with. At my wifes employer they usually will promote the problem people. Same concept. It moves them along for someone else to deal with. Sad.
    The US mail service is going kaput because of many reasons but poor accountability is one.
    When a worker knows he can look at his or her manager and basically refuse a request or have more pull than their manager then imo thats anarchy. Without rules and standards that are enforceable by a "chief" you have chaos in the tribe

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    At my wifes employer they usually will promote the problem people. Same concept. It moves them along for someone else to deal with.

My experience in a union had some of that, but a little of the opposite too... One guy in particular didn't WANT to be promoted (and frankly, shouldn't have been anyhow), but I very much did... He had been there for 17 years, I had been there for 2.5 years. It took 9 months for me to be able to promote over him before the union would let me, thus costing me about $15k while, of course, doing the next level's work anyhow. The union knew the guy, and knew his situation, but demanded that the company consider EVERY OTHER "level 2" guy that had been there longer than me, regardless of whether or not they even worked in my department, before they would OK the company to give me the "level 3".

I was not impressed and will go out of my way to not work in a union again.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    Ups left my box of electronics that had been dropped so hard that if ripped the tape open. Then he proceeded to leave it in the driveway in the rain instead of putting it on my 30' long covered porch. go figure.......

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My last adventure with USPS was impressive. I sent a package to my parents in IL. It went from my home, to IL (sorting center), to Jacksonville FL, and back to IL in about 4 or 5 days.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My last adventure with USPS was impressive. I sent a package to my parents in IL. It went from my home, to IL (sorting center), to Jacksonville FL, and back to IL in about 4 or 5 days.

I mailed a book from Knox to Hammond. It went to Pennsylvania, Ohio, back to South Bend and THEN to Hammond. I think it took two weeks. It was not sent media mail.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Similar results. Ordered a part from somewhere in NJ. To put it in context Most Hoosiers will understand, It made the EQUIVALENT trip of Greenwood, Southport, Homecroft, Beech Grove, Camby, Speedway, Downtown Indy (main sort) then hit a semi bound for the next major sorting facility near the destination. I watched it go from PO to PO, typically two per day, some only a couple miles apart, until it reached the hub. I had visions of it going pony express there were so many hops.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -snip-
    He flat refused to get out of the truck. If there was a package or signature-required item, he’d just put the notice in the box and move on.
    -Snip-
    If I see that a shipper insists on using the USPS, it's a deal breaker for me.
    I'll happily pay extra for UPS or Fedex.

This what they did when I lived in Fishers, and they do the same thing now that I live in Indy.
    If it doesn't fit in the box, or requires a signature, they won't even leave a notice, they just drive on.
    The ONLY way I even know anything is when I check online and see where they CLAIM I wasn't home.

Then I have to go down to the post office and wait around til they feel like getting around to giving me my package.

Top Bottom