• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What are you looking for at the club match level?

• Total voters

Russellhjoy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It would be awesome if we could have 6 field courses but also at the end of the match a classifier if you want it. This way no one gets held up because the classifier stages run so much faster than a field course and you get more shooting. I dont think it's fair to the unclassified or those wanting to improve their classification to eliminate the classifier.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I don't care if I ever shoot another classifier. I also know that newer shooters want them so they can get classified and some people are working hard to move up. Maybe have a match With 2 or three classifiers early in the year and another one in the fall. Then have a few with no classifiers.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    It would be awesome if we could have 6 field courses but also at the end of the match a classifier if you want it. This way no one gets held up because the classifier stages run so much faster than a field course and you get more shooting. I dont think it's fair to the unclassified or those wanting to improve their classification to eliminate the classifier.

I like that idea a lot. Or even 4-5 field courses with a couple speed shoots. Of course the classifier wouldn't count in the overall match score if not everyone is shooting it.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    1. Stages with options. If I wanted effectively shoot-by-numbers stages with no thinking or strategy required, I could do IDPA and also get training for real world dynamic critical incidents.

2. Variety. Long shots, tight shots, fast shots. Long stages, standards stages, medium stages, speed shoots. Yes, classifiers too. They're great for getting a measurement as to where you are on a (more or less) nationally standardized stage with an extensive performance dataset behind it. You don't get that big picture reference point with only local stages. And they level the playing field somewhat. Classifiers are stand and shoot for the most part, so those of us who aren't in "Russell the love muscle" shape can maybe win back a few match points.

3. Round count. Driving 2+ hrs and paying $20 to shoot 80rds isn't something I'm personally inclined to do. Make it worth the drive and entry fee.

4. Scores before leaving is a really nice thing. Waiting days for scores isn't necessary, and only furthers the perception that USPSA scoring is some crazy, incomprehensible mathematical voodoo.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I feel that a classifier is a must as new shooters are excited about a new sport and they are excited about where they classify. I know when I first started that was the hook that kept me coming back and wanting to improve.

Stages with options:yesway: the more options the better.

Personally the tougher the stage the better I like it. Since all I shoot is revolver and I rarely have anyone to shoot against I always look at the combined results and see how I do against the auto classes. Things like the texas star and polish plate rack and long shots or tight shots gives me a chance to make up some on the higher capacity autos. It doesn't always work:rolleyes: but that is my story and I'm sticking to it.
    BUT as a former match director I have to say that you have to be careful making a stage too difficult as you will have new or newer shooters getting lost in them and getting discouraged with misses and penalties. I know that they need to practice and get better and they will learn the rules as time goes on. But if they get there ego busted the the first couple of matches from several very difficult stages they will probably not be coming back.

Like Rob said if I'm driving and paying to shoot I want to shoot. The more rounds the more better.:):

As for long physical stages here are my thoughts. I would say that 75% of the people I see ROing at matches are shall we say seasoned shooters. As a shooter I don't mind a long field course here and there, as a old, fat shooter I'm not crazy about it either:laugh:. But I end up with a timer in my hand at almost every match I shoot and I can't or won't chase a whole squad of shooters through long run field courses, Sorry but I just can't do that anymore. I sure won't complain about shooting some long field courses if the young guys start ROing at the matches. Kudos to Chad and some of the other younger shooters that aren't afraid to step up and run a timer.
    Thanks to all the RO's and match directors who work to make this a fun sport.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I like classifiers. Good test of basic shooting skills. Accuracy, Speed, Gun Handling, Reloads etc.

High round count is ok, but not at the expense of good stages. Id much rather see an interesting 24-26 round course that has options and makes me think than a 32 rd hose fest that extra target were just thrown in to up the count. I like to shoot, but I dont want to waste ammo either.

Stages with options and a variety of shots are my favorite.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Rob377
    1. Stages with options.

2. Variety. Long shots, tight shots, fast shots. Long stages, standards stages, medium stages, speed shoots. Yes, classifiers too.

+2

mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon
    1. Stages with options.

2. Variety. Long shots, tight shots, fast shots. Long stages, standards stages, medium stages, speed shoots. Yes, classifiers too.

3. Round count. Driving 2+ hrs and paying $20 to shoot 80rds isn't something I'm personally inclined to do. Make it worth the drive and entry fee.

+1

I apparently got overzealous with my poll clicking and checked the box for scores being done before I leave, but that really doesn't matter to me at all. I'm equally as happy and pissed at myself for stupid mistakes if they show up at 3pm Sunday or 8pm Tuesday.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The only stages I don't like are the so-called "memory stages." Everything else I like, but I'd prefer the balance as recommended in the rule book for the numbers of short, medium, and long courses.

Top Bottom