• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullitstang1313

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Columbus
    Try it and see what you think. If you have a double stack gun and 3 magazines you can probably shoot limited division and at least see what a match is like first hand. Go slow and be safe and you will be fine. That's what I did and now I can't wait for the next match. Spectating is ok, but you will probably regret not trying.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    When you show up, USPSA matches are cold range, meaning, no loaded firearm. Bring your gun cased or in a gun bag. You can only handle your gun at the safe table (where you can holster your firearm) or with an RO. You can handle ammo anywhere except the safe table.

Great Advice!! Also keep in mind, that every shooter you see at the match was a new shooter at one time. They know how you feel and 99.9% of them want you to succeed. Don't be afraid to ask questions and learn from what you see. Ask and you shall receive guidance.

Hope to see you at the range sometime.:)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I’ve really been contemplating on trying to shoot USPSA. Do I think I’d be absolutely terrible right now?

Yes, you will be absolutely terrible.
    But that's ok. We were all new once. Too many people never get involved because they either don't think they are good enough to start, or they do start and get a reality check that they aren't as good as they thought and can't handle that....

No one will remember you based on your shooting skills after your first match, whether good or bad. They will remember you if you are an A-hole, don't help reset stages, or put them in fear of their life (can't keep muzzle down range, etc).

Safety is the most important thing. If you practice anything, it's keeping your finger off the trigger, and keeping the gun pointed a certain direction while you move around, reload etc...

You just have to jump in and do it. If you worry about being good enough, you'll never be ready to start. The sooner you jump in and start learning the game, the better.

download the rules. At a minimum, give the sections on unsafe gun handling (chapter 10) and range commands (8.3) a skim. show up. Tell people it's your first day. Ask questions.

-rvb

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    People think, I know how to shoot a gun, I've shot a deer, I've been around them all my life, I was in the military, etc, etc, etc.

I'll wager right now that the bottom 5 shooters in *any* randomly-selected USPSA match, as a group, are better gun-handlers than 90% of people who have ever - and I mean ever - shot a gun.
    After you have been shooting it for 6 months, you will not recognize the shooter you were before you started. If you shoot two years and quit, you'll still know more about how to practice, improve, and analyze your weaknesses than somebody who shoots Bill Drill after Bill Drill after Bill Drill in practice, but who has never competed.

Don't get caught up in the track meet aspect of the sport. Engage in it for what it is, have your fun and get your hits, and even if you never progress beyond the level of a grunt weekend match shooter, it is guaranteed the effort invested will pay for itself over your lifetime***

(***of course, you could totally "get bit" by the bug, too...)

Lot's to agree with here. One step further however is the fact that it is true Casual Gun Owners should get into Competition. Some think that attending some sort of one time training is enough. Sorry but that is just a start at best. Many graduates of training modules can be evaluated very quickly by observation on what they have learned and currently practice. There can be no teaching without learning and to prove the learning one needs to test hisself. Competition is the best way to that.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Good advice from all.
    I'll reinforce the concept of watching youtube videos, but with the understanding the new guys usually don't post videos so all you'll see are "sorted out" folks. At an actual event you'll see the full range of experience and skill levels.
    I've been to events where people use the event as a way to run their carry gun, knowing they will in no way be competitive. Use the range setup to be able to shoot, move, test gear... all the stuff you can't do in a square indoor range and would take forever to setup and run on your own. You don't have to have the mindset of being competitive to participate in the competition. Go slow, have fun, meet folks, expand your experiences and be a student of firearms.
    I also totally get the comfort of watching one first. Shooters that watch their first one almost always say they should have shot the event but you don't know realize that until afterward. Not knowing what you don't know is an uncomfortable feeling. That said, anyone in the shooting culture respects "new guys". The absence of an influx of new shooters or shooters expanding their range of events means "gun culture" as a whole is dwindling. Nobody wants that!

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    Again, great advice from everyone! I’ve been invited to the Silver Creek Conservation Club meeting next week, and plan to attend. Man, what a great group of guys/gals that we have here on INGO.

Much appreciated!

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    Your goals for your first match should be stay safe, don't DQ and have fun. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

They operate under "cold range" rules, so no loaded firearms or gun handling unless under the direction of an RO while getting ready to shoot a stage. Gun handling other than that can only be done at "Safe Areas". If you want to show off that $3000 pistol, do it at the safe table...lol Absolutely no handling of ammunition at safe tables.

The range commands are very simple, but vitally important to follow. Make your RO aware that you are a new shooter and he/she will make sure you are doing things correctly.

Once you get through a couple of stages, you will be just fine. Shooting competitions such as this are as much fun as I've ever had with a firearm.

Last edited:

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I’ve been following this thread because I too am interested in trying out these types of competitions. I have to say you’ve all eased some of the nervousness I had about doing it. I signed up for one because i am the type of person that will surely regret not jumping in and trying it out if I went to just observe. Most of my concern now is having the proper equipment for it. I will definitely take my time and just try not to get disqualified the first time around. INGO people, you’re awesome!!

Last edited:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Great Advice!! Also keep in mind, that every shooter you see at the match was a new shooter at one time. They know how you feel and 99.9% of them want you to succeed. Don't be afraid to ask questions and learn from what you see. Ask and you shall receive guidance.

Hope to see you at the range sometime.:)

^^^ this

i started shooting USPSA 25 years ago. i went to my 1st match as a spectator, the MD had me follow a squad around for the day. even as a non participant everyone in the squad was helpful.
    at my 1st match i was squadded with this same group of guys, mostly A class and higher shooters. i learned a LOT of just watching them run a stage.

i'll never be more than a mid level C shooter, i go to matches to have fun, and escape daily "life"

someone else suggested trying a steel match, i totally agree, it's a good introduction into safe gun handling and range commands. as a plus theres no movement, no reloads "on the clock" .

:cheers:

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    One thing I can add as a new shooter myself is to leave your ego and expectations at home. Go to be safe and learn. My whole life I have been athletic and picked up all sports very easily. But not pistol shooting. At my first match I finished dead ass last! :):

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    One thing I can add as a new shooter myself is to leave your ego and expectations at home. Go to be safe and learn. My whole life I have been athletic and picked up all sports very easily. But not pistol shooting. At my first match I finished dead ass last! :):
    Haha, no ego here.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Again, great advice from everyone! I’ve been invited to the Silver Creek Conservation Club meeting next week, and plan to attend. Man, what a great group of guys/gals that we have here on INGO.

Much appreciated!

Great, I will be at the meeting look me up and introduce yourself.

Top Bottom