• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    And where do you have these matches? I must have missed the memo.

The Owensboro USPSA club does a bug gun match once per year. I haven't attended but a couple guys have told me it was their most fun match of the year.
    That is likely too far away for most but maybe it is a thought for other clubs, it tends to be a cheap and easy match to set up.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    And where do you have these matches? I must have missed the memo invitation.
    FIFY :lmfao:

Both USPSA and IDPA need to attract the competitor for financial livelihood. Unreasonable PRACTICAL and DEFENSIVE stages is what sells in these two Associations.

If, the round count and stages were closer to my StreetWise series, many of the divisions could be eliminated as equipment won’t matter except Pistol and Revolver.

Close targets and low round count and get a beep, get a score can make all guns competitive by smart stage design.

Now, this won’t sell as there are very few that find this challenge fun. But, it is down to earth. Small squad sizes too.

While no sanctions and catchy acronyms, StreetWise offers low entry fees, extreme pressure, shoot and scoot, professional scoring, variable targets, and a pass or fail skill set test.

There are no BOD or high paid administrative wages or Bible Thick rules for range lawyers to squabble over.

Now I enjoy shooting USPSA and IDPA and will keep my low number life memberships, however, StreetWise Stages are where I do most of my shooting.

Stages are small, challenging, fast to set up, and only take up a few bays, sometimes only 1. Many matches require less than 50 rounds to complete.

There are no sight pictures so have your dot on when you sign in. There are no erector set holsters allowed. IWB is ok as everything must be close to your body.

As one principled shooter in an ocean of race guns and stages that resemble murder, I get more for less out of my StreetWise series.

Matches are sometimes gun specific as well, so don’t count on big squads. We just don’t need them to pay the bills.

I am working on my own target design and looking for a supplier this year.

The shooting community owes a lot to USPSA/IDPA and I hope they can stay prosperous.
    I remember casually mentioning here a few years ago, the possibility of lower round-count stages that are easier to set up. Still fun and challenging to shoot, but less taxing on volunteer resources. I got sorta shouted down by one of the resident grandmasters. To wit, people want high round counts, low round count is "cutting the sport" and will kill your club, people won't travel for low round counts, etc. I wasn't really arguing for less total round count, just the idea that tons of barrels, walls, and "memory stages" aren't necessary to have a good test of shooting skill, and seem to drive up the time commitment, for somebody. I just think the drive toward having to have CAD-designed "Big Match Funhouse" stages on the ground at local matches is turning things into an 8-hour commitment for someone (half your weekend), and if you have other things in your life, I really question how much longer volunteers are going to keep busting their asses to set this stuff up by themselves.

Bullseye has the same debate. That sport is almost dead, but you can go on the Bullseye-L forum and still hear people shouting down the idea of more 1800 outdoor matches, "No Way," 2700 points is the heart and soul of our sport, "Our sport isn't dead - it's just Esoteric," etc., etc. That's why I quit shooting that sport, I didn't want to be standing on a range for 6 hours. There are very few things, outside of sleeping, I want to do for 6 hours straight. It starts to be more like a "job."

Last edited:
    Reactions: JHB

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana

I remember casually mentioning here a few years ago, the possibility of lower round-count stages that are easier to set up. Still fun and challenging to shoot, but less taxing on volunteer resources. I got sorta shouted down by one of the resident grandmasters. To wit, people want high round counts, low round count is "cutting the sport" and will kill your club, people won't travel for low round counts, etc. I wasn't really arguing for less total round count, just the idea that tons of barrels, walls, and "memory stages" aren't necessary to have a good test of shooting skill, and seem to drive up the time commitment, for somebody. I just think the drive toward having to have CAD-designed "Big Match Funhouse" stages on the ground at local matches is turning things into an 8-hour commitment for someone (half your weekend), and if you have other things in your life, I really question how much longer volunteers are going to keep busting their asses to set this stuff up by themselves.

Bullseye has the same debate. That sport is almost dead, but you can go on the Bullseye-L forum and still hear people shouting down the idea of more 1800 outdoor matches, "No Way," 2700 points is the heart and soul of our sport, "Our sport isn't dead - it's just Esoteric," etc., etc. That's why I quit shooting that sport, I didn't want to be standing on a range for 6 hours. There are very few things, outside of sleeping, I want to do for 6 hours straight. It starts to be more like a "job."
    Mostly agree with what you said. One thing I noticed this last year after almost 8 years not competing is that the uspsa matches in Ohio tend to fill up and have waiting lists. In contrast here in IN they are about half the turnout they were 8 years ago. I have my opinions on why but for sure it has little or nothing to do with the time commitment.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

As crazy as it sounds I sometimes miss the simplicity of a PPC match!

There will always be those types that are more about round count. I remember back in the mid to late 1990’s we had great USPSA matches with a 110 ish if that matches (and that was with those 3 and 4 round per target oops) and they were great matches but mention that and you get the reaction you had.

He or others don’t have to shoot it if it’s beneath them!!!

I liked the whole IDPA set up no more than 18 round stages etc but some of their silly rules and equipment changes on a whim (and a couple overly competitive personalities) got a little too much.

The best thing going now is local Carey matches good time with 7 or so stages and usually under 100 rounds and unless there is a blind stage you can run a couple different guns. I like running a 1911 and revolver just for a fun thing. So there’s a lot that would do it.

But a question for any USPSA guys. I understand a lot of drama in area 3 like they ousted a well liked director or something so clubs are refusing to pay USPSA fees etc because they it was a fishy deal. What’s the real story???

Reactions: DHD
    Top Bottom