• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    A club member asked me this last night and I want to find a definitive answer.

He has a CZ 75b in production. He is wanting to know about how to start the pistol

Appendix says that his hammer needs to be down, however when he uses his decocker, it leaves it at half cock. Is this sufficient, or does he need to manually move the hammer down? If the hammer needs to be manually moved down, how can I direct him to do this safely, seeing how this seems to be a hell of a good opportunity to have a thumb slip and end up with an AD.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In Matt's situation, there is not decocker on the gun though. The hammer must be manually lowered by pulling the trigger and easing it down. Does he need to lower it all the way onto the live round (rules seem to point to yes, even though it seems dangerous as hell), or can he stop at half cock?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If a decocker, you start at the position the decocker leaves the hammer at. At a 1/2 cock is ok in that case. Sigs are like this to. If no docker, then it must be fully decocked

-rvb

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    If a decocker, you start at the position the decocker leaves the hammer at. At a 1/2 cock is ok in that case. Sigs are like this to. If no docker, then it must be fully decocked

-rvb

This is correct...something that was discussed during the nationals last an ro on the stage I was working asked this of troy, it has also been answered by amidon before

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

-rvb

Yep. Amidon has rules on this.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Thanks guys, I was trying to find "proof" but couldn't. I think it was in Front Sight.

edit:
    8.1.2.2 “Double action” – chamber loaded, hammer fully down or de- cocked.

-rvb

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Huh... I would think this is something that should be added to the BoD... Thanks for the clarification!

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Google!

I remembered seeing it in the list when I first started shooting CZs, but you're right it isn't in the listed rulings and effective date has been zeroed out. Which I take to mean the wording in 8.1.2.2 has superceded, but I'm not sure when they changed 8.1.2.2. That said, it provides the background.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    makes sense. nroi list was the first place i looked because I remembered there being a ruling, too. Looks like the "hammer down OR decocked" wording in the rules is adequate / clear enough so they pulled the ruling. Thought maybe I was loosing it and it was in the list and I just couldn't comprehend it!

-rvb

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    You aren't losing it. I remember it being discussed in either the RO or CRO class also. I just couldn't remember what the final outcome was...

Top Bottom