• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I met a person, Indiana Resident, that carries a handgun and only has a Utah Permit. He said since Indiana recognizes the Utah Permit he doesn't need a Indiana Permit. I told him to look up the IC on carrying; I don't think he will. So I am wondering if this subject is covered in the Utah Permit Class? It has to be.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    It's not REQUIRED to be covered, since it IS a Utah class. In my Utah class, which was taught by Jim Floyd at DPG, they did mention that Indiana residents are required to have the Indiana LTCH to carry in Indiana. I think it would vary from course to course whether or not they mention it.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    An IN LTCH is required for an IN resident ot carry in IN. If he is caught in IN w/o an IN LTCH, he will (most likely) be arrested & charged with carrying w/o a license. He will also have his UT CFP yanked, as soon as they find out he was arrested.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    It wasn't mentioned when I took the class, but I took it in Illinois, (and was the only Indiana resident taking the class).

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I met a person ... So I am wondering if this subject is covered in the Utah Permit Class? It has to be.

It doesn't matter if it's covered or not (or whether this person was listening or not when/if it was covered, although I think/believe Jim mentioned it in the class I was in). This person is wrong regardless. To lawfully carry (except to/from place of purchase/repair/one's own business) an Indiana resident must have an Indiana LTCH regardless of what other licenses/permits he might have.

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. <clip>
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Indiana Code 35-47-2

A UT CFP instructor may choose to cover this or not. It's not part of the UT specified curriclum. Amazingly enough, and as strange as it may seem the curriculum for a UT CFP covers UT-specific law. If an instructor wants to talk about Indiana law in the process, that's a bonus.

Here's the mandatory curriculum if you're interested:
    http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/TRANGUIDELINES_009.pdf

Last edited:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Thanks for the information. I'll pass it along. I still have a feeling this guy isn't going to listen. I guess I would be well within my rights to ask him not to carry when is on our Gun Club Grounds. He is a member and carries on Club Grounds (as do other members). Since I know he is in violation of Indiana Code, should I just let it pass or inform him not to carry on Club Grounds?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd raise the issue in general (not citing anyone specific) w/club officers. Some clubs educate their members about state law (and save their clubs from some 'awkward situations') by prohibiting handguns w/o a LTCH specifically in club rules.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom