• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I've been on most of the state highways in CO, WY, ID, and MT. I enjoyed WY the most. Stay away from reservations, dress for the environment, and don't be stupid around wildlife. Wife and I watched some city folk stop and walk out to a herd of bison. Sagebrush was about 3' - 4' high. They got within 100' of the herd when mama charged them. They turned and ran away, straight to their cars, going through the sagebrush wearing only sandals and shorts. No one fell down and got trampled, but going straight through the sagebrush made them all bloody. The twiggy type gal was the worst with short shorts on. We told them where the nearest place was with medical help. At least they didn't bother a moose! Most animals will charge you as run away, especially if they are in a group. Bison are big, remember riding past a herd on the road (on motorcycle), and had to look up into their eyes. Was a 1/2 day detour to go back, so waited for some trucks to go by to get them off the pavement, still could almost reach out and touch them as we went by (will not do that again). In 2008 was just south of Yellowstone the first of June, snow along the highway was over 8' deep just off the pavement, was only at 4,000' altitude. Town with 4,000 people was called a city, stayed at a place where the nearest neighbor was 1 hour drive away (gravel road), but the stars are so bright at night you can read a book.

If you go, try to stay a week at a guest (dude) ranch and ride horses. They cater to all your needs, fantastic food, ride to a 'hilltop' and see for 60 miles in all directions with no sign of people (other than jets in the air).

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Most beautiful place I've ever been is up in the mountains of Colorado. I really want to get out to UT or ID at some point. Gorgeous!
    9v9x5z.jpg

My Dad on a horse near Richfield Idaho in about 1948. Horse was apparently talented. Think it's my Grandmother in the foreground.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I had never driven west of Kansas City until last year. Then I drove from Vegas back to Indiana. A few weeks ago, drove Indiana to southern California.

The thing that gets me about the American West is the VASTNESS, the scale of it all.

We swung by the Grand Canyon on the way to Cali and went in the east entrance. There are trees and shrubs between the parking lot and the canyon that are like a curtain. When you walk up the curvy path and first see it, it's indescribable. You can't take a picture that does it justice. Even in person, standing on the edge, it just doesn't look real.

Our country, especially out west, is full of places like that. I wish more people took the opportunity to see them. I hate that I wasted so many family vacations on beaches or worse, at Disney.:n00b:

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Indiana has some pretty cool things. Here are a few photos that I have taken in my travels around Indiana. Of course I will admit that some of the shots I took in Utah were awesome!

Ron

IMG_8928-2.jpg

IMG_9053ps.jpg

narrows.jpg

turkeyruntrail.jpg

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    I think the bottom line is we are so blessed to live in the greatest country on earth with so many beautiful places to see and experience.

I've been in almost all of the states east of the Rockies plus California, Washington, and Alaska. I still need to fill in those states between the eastern edge of the Rockies and the west coast, but I have yet to find a single state that didn't have some good people and some simply awesome sights.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Unfair to play the John Ford card!!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

But the pics I posted are of our land....Not Government...Well not above the cliffs anyway...That's a government.....

Just messing with ya. :)

There are a lot of neat places in Indiana, but I can't think of any that come close to the majesty of the west.
    One of my favorites is quite a bit north of Columbus, though. Love me some Turkey Run State Park.

Your land beats mine hands down. Mine consists of 1/2 acre with a couple of bird feeders and a spectacular view of my neighbors shed. :):

Top Bottom