• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Can we get back on topic? You know, the one about Senate Republicans getting ready to sell us all down the river.

Every time I see mention of the universal background checks I can't help but yell, but that wouldn't have stopped any of the mass shooting that you are supposedly so upset about.

This kid was mentally ill. He was cutting on his face. he should have been committed for treatment because of it. That would have then made him ineligible to buy a gun.

Carmel Corn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Carmel
    1. Good point. Looks like next session starts June 7th

2. Correction, Buffalo

3. Without grandfather laws, it is effectively a gun-grab, which would be a non-starter. Both of the guns used in the recent shooting were bought legally from a dealer, not private sales. It would make it 'look' like they are doing something impactful, even if it wouldn't completely prevent access to these weapons by lunatics moving forward.

The easiest way for them to pass any legislation would be a carbon copy exact duplicate of the 1994 AWB, with updated list of specific models. Yes, the gun manufacturers would work to get around it, but 10rnd mag limits and fewer models being made would be seen as a win and has the best chance of getting the votes. If there were a filibuster, it would embolden and fire up dems for midterm lifts at the ballots. For Dems, it's a no-lose situation to try to push something through.
    You mean like this one from last year:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Can we get back on topic? You know, the one about Senate Republicans getting ready to sell us all down the river.

Although I don’t think our senators would sell us down the river, time to write them and tell them to hold fast. Preferably write them a physical letter as that can’t just go into a spam folder.

If they want to do something that will actually help, train and arm the teachers. Give SRO’s access to a rifle and armor so they can engage on equal or better terms. Stop letting schools and churches and so many other places be soft targets.

Offer to pay the teachers a sizable amount extra to take on the responsibility. They always complain about not having enough money. And maybe it will push out some of the lefty nutters too and leave us with less insane people teaching our kids. Sounds like a win win.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    cebd37059870419f655ad8c5481ba6cf.jpg

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Although I don’t think our senators would sell us down the river, time to write them and tell them to hold fast. Preferably write them a physical letter as that can’t just go into a spam folder.

If they want to do something that will actually help, train and arm the teachers. Give SRO’s access to a rifle and armor so they can engage on equal or better terms. Stop letting schools and churches and so many other places be soft targets.

Offer to pay the teachers a sizable amount extra to take on the responsibility. They always complain about not having enough money. And maybe it will push out some of the lefty nutters too and leave us with less insane people teaching our kids. Sounds like a win win.
    They should have spent the $40 billion we sent to Ukraine to improve school security.

But that wouldn't end up back in their bank accounts. Or their kids' bank accounts.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

What McConnell actually said:
    “I’ve encouraged him to talk to Sen. Sinema, Sen. Murphy and others who are interested in trying to get an outcome that’s directly related to the problem,” McConnell said of Tuesday’s mass school shooting. “I am hopeful that we could come up with a bipartisan solution that’s directly related to the facts of this awful massacre.
    We'll have to wait and see, but I think Mitch thinks he might be able to get 10 Dems over to some things that might actually prevent some of these:

1) Mental health
    2) Funding RSOs (turns out there wasn't one at the elementary school)
    3) Building physical security (shooter came in through an unlocked side door)
    4) Teacher security training (policy was to close/lock classroom doors, they weren't... shooter ducked into the first room 20 ft down the hall)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom