• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My money is that none of those 592 are infected....with HIV at least

I'll see your not infected with HIV and raise you a not infected with anything.

You guys realize that private dentists, not connected with the VA do this all the time, right? This is the failure to comply with a regulation and the regulation does not necessarily define appropriate dental practice. In other words, his practice may well have been perfectly satisfactory in standard practice, but violate VA guidelines. As to whether there is any risk and whether there is just more than a guideline t issue, it all depends and which instruments he was reusing and how they were being sterilized.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Article said cleaning. Now whether or not that's sterilization I don't know. What I do know is the life expectancy of HIV and Hep outside of a host is minutes, not hours or days. But I agree the more than likely the dentist was practicing at the minimum federal regulation/guideline. The VA probably has policies and procedures than meet and then go above the federal regs.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Article said cleaning. Now whether or not that's sterilization I don't know. What I do know is the life expectancy of HIV and Hep outside of a host is minutes, not hours or days.

I'll grant you, if the "cleaning" is not a recognized sterilization technique, this could be an issue...but I am not trusting a journalist to differentiate.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Article said cleaning. Now whether or not that's sterilization I don't know. What I do know is the life expectancy of HIV and Hep outside of a host is minutes, not hours or days. But I agree the more than likely the dentist was practicing at the minimum federal regulation/guideline. The VA probably has policies and procedures than meet and then go above the federal regs.

Lol

hiv is hours. Hepatitis c can last from 16 hours up to a few days

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yes, this is a garbage story. Every dentist I know reuses their equipment. It's called an "autoclave". Steam clean them in heat and pressure after the particulates are removed with a brush and then ultrasonic.

houghmade nailed it

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Notice that the dentist was moved to administrative duties, not fired. Firing a government employee takes two years and if you miss one deadline in the process by as little as one day, you have to start all over at step one. This is why I don't go to the VA. There are some excellent and caring people there, but you can't always tell them from the slackers and you don't get to choose who works on you. I thank God I can afford to get my health care in the private sector where I still have some choices.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The question whether this was a VA regulation violation only, or whether it was really a breach in proper sterilization protocol. Did the assistant report it because they knew what VA regulations were, or because there was really a potential for exposure?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The phrase I heard was "properly cleaned" between patients. Seems like an attempt was made but not good enough, rather than just a rule violation for using reusable.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...m=facebook&utm_campaign=alt&utm_source=asmdss
    VA hospitals cancel surgeries over ‘rust and blood’ on unsterilized instruments

VA hospitals across the country have been found to be lacking adequate functionality and could be hazardous to patients and doctors.
    Last year, the Manchester VA Medical Center in New Hampshire was forced to cancel surgeries due to surgical instruments being contaminated with what appeared to be rust and blood, Military.com reported this week.
    Also last year, the VA Medical Center in Washington, D.C. had to borrow bone marrow and sterilized surgical instruments from nearby hospitals because they ran out.

Top Bottom