Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'd be more worried about the data coming out of the UK. Vaccinated 5x more likely to die than unvaccinated.

Where in that report do you see that?

The only thing I see that could be misinterpreted as such (and it'd be a stretch to get to that 5x) is the table on page 19.
    That doesn't show anything about likelihood, but just total numbers.

Maybe I'm missing something? :dunno:

LiveFreeOrDie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2019
    Crown Point
    This whole vaccine debacle just grinds my gears.

News reports yesterday outlined an Ohio woman who won a 1 million dollar "raffle" for getting a vaccine.
    Other states/municipalities are offering free drinks, free joints, free rides, free concerts... all in an effort to entice fence-sitters to take theCovid-19 vaccine.

The question arises, if this vaccine were the be-all/end-all, ultimate answer to this "pandemic", why aren't people beating down the doors clamoring for their individual salvation?

When you offer something of worth or value, people will beat a path to your door.
    The fact that the government feels the need to bribe, or try to coerce people into compliance tells me to question the dominate paradigm.Wo

This whole vaccine debacle just grinds my gears.

News reports yesterday outlined an Ohio woman who won a 1 million dollar "raffle" for getting a vaccine.
    Other states/municipalities are offering free drinks, free joints, free rides, free concerts... all in an effort to entice fence-sitters to take theCovid-19 vaccine.

The question arises, if this vaccine were the be-all/end-all, ultimate answer to this "pandemic", why aren't people beating down the doors clamoring for their individual salvation?

When you offer something of worth or value, people will beat a path to your door.
    The fact that the government feels the need to bribe, or try to coerce people into compliance tells me to question the dominate paradigm.
    Did you serve in the military? They force you to get vaccines.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wait, are you really telling me to listen to medical advice from someone who calls herself, "What's her face" and makes money making videos like, "Simple Smoothie To Cure Sexual Frustration"?

5.56'aholic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    <- tragic boating accident
    Yes, that's the page I mentioned. Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, so can you explain why that leads you to believe that those vaccinated are 5x more likely to die?
    simple, look at the total fully vaccinated, vs the number of deaths of fully vaccinated vs the unvaccinated for total cases. Feel free to include those partially vaccinated if you must.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    This approval is hilarious.

So let me get it straight...
    They approved a different vaccine, but spent breathless hours on podcasts and TV to convince people it's the "same thing."

JBmgb62.png

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    simple, look at the total fully vaccinated, vs the number of deaths of fully vaccinated vs the unvaccinated for total cases. Feel free to include those partially vaccinated if you must.
    Again, that's just total deaths. Can you run me through the maths to get to 5x?

In the over 50 category, the deaths for vaccinated exceed the non-vaccinated - but when the gen. pop. is ~95% vaccinated for that age group, the deaths will be for those vaccinated. And for the under 50 crowd, 48 out of 71 death were unvaccinated folks.

So please explain how you can up with 5x more likely to die; and this time show your work.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think (and I could be wrong), but the number should be broken down by more than just vax vs. unvax.

I think people more at risk are more likely to get the vax.
    So, they will be more likely to die from it.

Let's say their condition makes them 10x more likely to die.
    And lets say the vax reduces that to 5x.
    Then at first glance, they are 5x more likely to die.
    But in reality, it doubled their chance of life.

Or something like that.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Again, that's just total deaths. Can you run me through the maths to get to 5x?

In the over 50 category, the deaths for vaccinated exceed the non-vaccinated - but when the gen. pop. is ~95% vaccinated for that age group, the deaths will be for those vaccinated. And for the under 50 crowd, 48 out of 71 death were unvaccinated folks.

So please explain how you can up with 5x more likely to die; and this time show your work.
    I think I understand where the 5x is coming from.

Distilling from Table 5. Attendance to emergency care and deaths of confirmed and provisional Delta cases in England by vaccination status
    (1 February 2021 to 2 August 2021)

Total cases (age independent)..................2 Doses: 47,008 Unvaccinated: 151,054
    Total deaths within 28 days (age independent)..2 Doses: 402 Unvaccinated: 253

402/47,008 = .0085517358747447
    253/151,054 = .0016748977186966

.008552/.001675 = 5.10567

Ignoring age, the proportion of fully vaccinated (2 doses) individuals who acquired the Delta variant and died within 28 days is 5.1~ times greater than the proportion of unvaccinated individuals who acquired the Delta variant and died within 28 days.

That said, it doesn't translate to "five times more likely to die from the Delta variant if you are fully vaccinated". To @actaeon277's point above, there are too many unknowns around this data to draw any such conclusion.

I only skimmed it, but this report appears to be focused on sharing raw data around the variants and the subsequent impact on NHS resources.

Later studies may attempt to dig deep into the case details not detailed here and attempt to draw conclusions (which will look more like this: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2109072)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom