• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    While I'm trying to store up ammo, I'm also trying to figure out good ways to store it safely and protect it from possible damage. Looking at some of the ammo deals at gun-deals.com, I noticed plastic "battle packs". This makes sense when physical protection isn't needed as much as waterproofing, etc.

I wondered about a "poor man's" battle packs and my thoughts turned to my Food Saver vacuum packing system. I'm seeing a "bag" of .22s using two 525 boxes. A bag of a couple 50 round boxes of pistol ammo. Seems like it would protect from water, but be less expensive than ammo cans.

The Food Saver seals pretty well, but I couldn't decide if I would run into any problems with putting ammo, which would have air in with the gun powder, into a vacuum. I've gotta think that air would leak out before the bullet or primer would come out, but I don't know. What are your thoughts on it?

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    I buy my emergency ammo pre-sealed :thumbsup:

Still, I keep ammo in ammo cans as much as possible (Ammo cans are cheap so literally it is all in ammo cans) but I have been oiling gun magazines and putting them in zip-lock bags, I don't vacume them per-say but I do remove as much air as possible to prevent condensation or rust.

I would not vacuum pack your ammo to negative pressure but with a food preserver that is not really what you are doing anyways. If you were, then all the liquid would boil off inn the vacume and I am sure you don't have that much power to work with. You are simply removing the extra air. The advantage is certainly that it will prevent corrosion and if something was to happen and your house floods then the ammo will not get trashed. It will also decrease the volume making it easier to store and pack if you ever needed to evacuate and take some preserved ammo.

One advantage to your idea, ammo cans are big and heavy and everybody knows what they are. A sealed pack could be a very good alternative and I may need to try it some day.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would not vacuum pack your ammo to negative pressure but with a food preserver that is not really what you are doing anyways. If you were, then all the liquid would boil off inn the vacume and I am sure you don't have that much power to work with. You are simply removing the extra air.

I guess I'm thinking an engineering vacuum and you are right. It isn't so much vacuum packing as air extraction. Fractions of a PSI difference. It would allow more creative ammo storage than cans. Um, the sand bags. Yeah, they are against the side of the foundation in the crawlspace, because it reduces the water that was coming in with the rain. They aren't packed with as much ammo as sand, or anything.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I buy my emergency ammo pre-sealed :thumbsup:

Still, I keep ammo in ammo cans as much as possible (Ammo cans are cheap so literally it is all in ammo cans) but I have been oiling gun magazines and putting them in zip-lock bags, I don't vacume them per-say but I do remove as much air as possible to prevent condensation or rust.

Empty ones I hope, capillary action will wick oil past a bullet, into the powder, and past the primer into the primer pocket. Kinda inconvienent if you are expecting a bang, when you squeeze the trigger

Lefty 21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    I love my vacuum packer. Use it for dry ammo, no oil. Works great. I may use some TP to pad the sharp edges of rifle bullets inside the bag so they don't poke through and ruin my seal. I use the VP for my BOB items (clothes, batteries, lights, food, etc) and include a ziplock bag inside to reseal anything I may have to open and then keep dry. Shotgun shells as well. Plus, all my emergency food is VP for longer shelf life.

Me likey!!!!

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    Empty ones I hope, capillary action will wick oil past a bullet, into the powder, and past the primer into the primer pocket. Kinda inconvienent if you are expecting a bang, when you squeeze the trigger

Yes, empty mags! I treat my backup mags as an investment for my kids future. I have a number I use and then I have lots more packed away for barter in tough years in the future.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    TupperWare(r) and dessicant packs.

There are advantage and disadvantages. If you are packing smaller rounds, then there is less of a disadvantage of not packing tightly. However, even with wasted space, a common footprint stacks much nicer. I might look at containers like that as well. I'm just setting up the storage area of the new house basement, so now is the time to make a decision.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Military Surplus Ammo Cans and Cloth Bags (think tobacco pouch) full of Dessicant.
    I use "Dri Splendor" silica gel Fresh flower Preservative.
    Hobby Lobby sell it for $12.99 5# bag.
    You can recharge it forever by putting in a 200 deg oven.

Warwagon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I simply get 2" PVC and cut to length desired. Fill with the desired amount of ammunition and throw in o2 absorbers and a few dessicant packs. I seal and put away for a rainy day.

You'd be surprised what a 2" x 3' tube can hold.

If you do a good job sealing, nothing's going to get into that tube for over a 100 years....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Military Surplus Ammo Cans and Cloth Bags (think tobacco pouch) full of Dessicant.
    I use "Dri Splendor" silica gel Fresh flower Preservative.
    Hobby Lobby sell it for $12.99 5# bag.
    You can recharge it forever by putting in a 200 deg oven.

What a great tip! I have like $20 bucks a piece in two 1# containers for my safe. Not to mention the fact that Hobby Lobby regularly runs 40-50% coupons

Quarterbore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Valley Forge, PA
    I use the kitty litter with canning jars with material over the bottle mouth and just the outer ring holding the cloth in place. I put them in the gun safe and when they lose their blue color I put them in the oven and dry them out.

Works great, even in big areas like that!

Top Bottom