• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Thanks for the input but the intent is to provide a waterproof environment for the ammo in an emergency situation. I don't have enough magazines to have several thousand rounds loaded and ready to go, so that option doesn't work for me. I also do not have a controlled environment where I store my ammo so my thinking was that this might help keep moisture away.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Thanks for the input but the intent is to provide a waterproof environment for the ammo in an emergency situation. I don't have enough magazines to have several thousand rounds loaded and ready to go, so that option doesn't work for me. I also do not have a controlled environment where I store my ammo so my thinking was that this might help keep moisture away.

I understand. Instead of vaccuum packing them, why not store the loaded ammunition into ammo cans? I believe they are air/water tight as well.

I can't seem to find it now, but awhile back I ran across a post where a gentleman loaded primers into cases and proceeded to apply 3 liquids to the primers that he hoped would penetrate the primers and render it useless. I think he used WD-40, CLP, and water. I'm not entirely sure. Over a short period of time, 1 week if I recall correctly, he let them sit to see if they would penetrate. After the time was up he fired each case and found that all primers ignited.

Man I wish I could find that test but I can't seem to for the life of me now. I thought he went on to test loaded ammunition and had the same results, but I can't be sure.

Pretty interesting though.

ETA: I may add that most surplus ammo has some sort of sealant either on the case mouth or the primer, and some have it on both.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Give it a try.

Has anyone tried vacuum sealing ammunition? I am considering using my food sealer to package emergency ammo so that will be easy to carry and remain dry. I am considering pouring it loose in the bag. Does this have any ill effects on the ammo?

I was given a vacuum can of 550 rounds of 30 carbine from the Korean War and it looks brand new. It was on stripper clips and in bandoleers. I will shoot it soon but have no doubt it will fire. I say go for it, what do you have to lose.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Give it a try.

Has anyone tried vacuum sealing ammunition? I am considering using my food sealer to package emergency ammo so that will be easy to carry and remain dry. I am considering pouring it loose in the bag. Does this have any ill effects on the ammo?

I was given a vacuum can of 30 carbine from the Korean War and it looks brand new. It was on stripper clips and in bandoleers. I will shoot it soon but have no doubt it will fire. I say go for it, what do you have to lose.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I do use .50 cal ammo cans as well. I was not so sure about how water tight they are though. But come to think of it, if that is what the millitary uses in the field to store ammo, it must be adequate. I still think that if we need to throw a few hundred rounds into a backpack or duffle bag that this may be a good solution. Plus it gives me an excuse to play with the vacuum packager. It makes a cool sound and has colored lights.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've tried it, but I didn't have the rounds loose, I kept them in the box.

The FoodSaver brand bags work. The WalMart store brand, or whatever the cheap brand is does not work. They are too thin and weak and would lose a seal after only a day or a few days.

Top Bottom