• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Gould’s grocery store. Just a tiny hole in the wall place, but before I started school mom would drag me along to get groceries on Thursday, we’d pick dad up from the plant at lunchtime and go to Gould’s and get sandwiches from the deli.

I remember driving to town on Christmas to go to my aunts house and it always seemed surreal that the whole town was shut down, at that point I don’t think there was even a gas station open, it was a literal ghost town for most of the day.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone remember the sub sandwiches they sold at K-Mart?

This is a running joke in my family.

My dad loved the ham sandwiches from the K-Mart Deli. They shoved 5 of them in those long popcorn bags, mustard smeared down the inside, thin, nasty tomatos. He loved bringing those home for "treats" for us. I can not help but smile when thinking about him and those awful ham sandwiches.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    This is a running joke in my family.

My dad loved the ham sandwiches from the K-Mart Deli. They shoved 5 of them in those long popcorn bags, mustard smeared down the inside, thin, nasty tomatos. He loved bringing those home for "treats" for us. I can not help but smile when thinking about him and those awful ham sandwiches.
    We'd grab a bag or two of those sub/ham 5 packs every time dad would take us catfishin' or to the speedway in May. The memories of being a little guy and watching my dad turn two of those sandwiches into one, and saying "OK K-Mart, the depression is over". LOL

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Going downtown to look at the windows and go shopping in Ayres, Blocks, Wasson's and Penney's on the circle at Christmastime then going to the woolworth's (also on the circle, I think) dining counter for patty melts for lunch. Ayres' bargain basement clearance section and the Santa train up on I think the 7th floor (being a guy, never did the tea room).

Tee Pee restaurant on 38th street right outside the fairgrounds, and going on Sunday with my grandparents to Bonanza Steakhouse or MCL.

The Sizzler and Shakey's Pizza up on Crawfordsville Rd, Lynhurst Bowl at Lynhurst and Rockville.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Hazy memories of changing our paper driver licenses DOB, and crossing the IL/IN line to go to the clubs there to drink and ogle girls. Clubs were amazing at the time. Live bands at Slabotas (sp) and multiple venues at Point East - had R&R in one room, Disco in another. My gang were rock-n-rollers, but the girls were going crazy in the Disco lounge, so ....

Lost my altered paper license when I ran the red light at Route 8 (231) right after midnight on the 1st night St. John police took over that jurisdiction. Officer was less than amused by my DOB, but didn't arrest me.

Different Times.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Some of my memories are more WRONG than vague, lol.
    I got the Tee-Pee and Satellite's location confused, the Satellite was in Twin-Aire area.
    Wow. I ate at the satellite many times. And the kresgee dime store had a lunch counter there. Play bowl and the twin air drive in right there too. I was born right in that neighborhood on Newton Avenue. Its pretty bad area now.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Dang. Some of y'all are OLD.

I remember Hooks Drugs, Galyans (went to school with one of the kids), the Clermont Drive-in, cruising the Circle and Madison Ave (what was the old speed shop?), and the drive-in at Rockville and Highschool Rd.

Road my bicycle EVERYWHERE, and it wasn't a big deal. Got my license and drove EVERYWHERE, and it wasn't a big deal.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    School skating parties at Melody Skateland.
    Grandmother taking me shopping to Woolco, Shoppers Faire and Topps that were all across from the track on 16th street.
    Traveling with my grandfather to the Sears parts store on the southeast side to get parts for lawnmowers/washer/dryer/stove, etc.

ETA: Trying to stay up all night on Labor Day to see all the REAL entertainers that were on the Jerry Lewis telethon.

Top Bottom