• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Undisclosed Location
    Actor Val Kilmer hints at guv run — again

By Matthew Reichbach 1/21/09 10:36 AM

One of New Mexico’s most famous residents is once again telling people in the press that he wants to run for governor.

According to The Hill actor Val Kilmer is still thinking about running for New Mexico’s top job in 2010 when the current governor, Bill Richardson, is term-limited out of office.

And Kilmer hinted that he has the backing of Gov. Bill Richardson.

The Hill reports that Kilmer said the mysterious “they” have asked him to run.
    He told The Hill at Monday’s Huffington Post party at the Newseum that he has been approached to run for the highest office of the state where he owns a ranch and has family roots.
    “Actually, they’ve asked me to run for governor,” he said, not specifying who “they” are. “People seem to want me to.”

But the most eyebrow-raising part of the article comes further down, where it looks as if Kilmer is claiming to have the backing of Richardson.
    Richardson publicly declared his support for a potential Kilmer candidacy last year, and on Monday the actor returned the praise to the current governor, who now plans to stay put after an ongoing ethics investigation forced him to decline President Obama’s invitation to become Commerce secretary.
    Last year, a Richardson spokesman told the Santa Fe New Mexican that Richardson did not endorse a run for governor. Instead, Richardson seems supportive of the idea of Kilmer’s running, saying of Kilmer, “If he jumps in a race he’s got name ID, so it can’t be discounted.”

I still think that if people want to learn a little more about Kilmer– besides that he was Doc Holliday in “Tombstone,” Iceman in “Top Gun” or Batman in “Batman Forever” — the Chuck Klosterman profile for Esquire is a good place to start.

This exchange is particularly … well, just read it.

[Klosterman]: You mean you think you literally had the same experience as Doc Holliday?

Kilmer: Oh, sure. It’s not like I believed that I shot somebody, but I absolutely know what it feels like to pull the trigger and take someone’s life.

[Klosterman:] You understand how it feels to shoot someone as much as a person who has actually committed a murder?

[Kilmer] I understand it more. It’s an actor’s job. A guy who’s lived through the horror of Vietnam has not spent his life preparing his mind for it. He’s some punk. Most guys were borderline criminal or poor, and that’s why they got sent to Vietnam. It was all the poor, wretched kids who got beat up by their dads, guys who didn’t get on the football team, couldn’t finagle a scholarship. They didn’t have the emotional equipment to handle that experience. But this is what an actor trains to do. I can more effectively represent that kid in Vietnam than a guy who was there.

Actor Val Kilmer hints at guv run — again New Mexico Independent

This story is a year old but I just learned of it today. Is this guy for real?

Josed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just another Hollywood self absorbed, arrogant, un-educated, a**hole,
    that thinks he knows better. Oh an obverpaid liberal!:rolleyes:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    He was pretty much a jerk in all of the movies he was in, and wasn't all that good in them either (IMHO) and I don't think he was acting all that hard to be that jerk. About the only Val Kilmer movie I liked other than Top Gun was "Top Secret" and he really wan't much in that either.

Hope this guy gets trounced if he does successfully mount a run. We need less of these movie star primadonnas in office and more common sense guys running.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm a huge fan of his acting, but like most actors, his emotional side is much more developed than his intellectual side. Another way to say it is that he's dumber than a box of rocks. I won't pay to see Jane Fonda, but if I boycotted every actor who said something stupid and left wing, I'd no longer be able to watch movies. I give them the same pass I would a silly teenager who spouted something similarly stupid.

His stupid statement about Vietnam reflects a silly misconception, unfortunately held by people much smarter than Val. One of the little facts I like to share - a fact backed up by data - is that on the whole, Vietnam vets are actually more successful and well-adjusted than random members of the population in the same age group.

Check out Val Kilmer in "Spartan," for those of you who haven't seen it.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    at one point in time val kilmer was my favorite actor becasue tombstone is my fovorite move and doc was great. that time was 5 minutes ago. i just cant believe someone would even think somthing like that

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    He was good in Tombstone. That is a great movie.

But what a stupid statement to be made by someone wanting to run for office. He must have smoked something much harsher than what the gov of Cali did

at one point in time val kilmer was my favorite actor becasue tombstone is my fovorite move and doc was great. that time was 5 minutes ago. i just cant believe someone would even think somthing like that

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    To Mr. Kilmer:

douchebag.jpg

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    He’s some punk. Most guys were borderline criminal or poor, and that’s why they got sent to Vietnam. It was all the poor, wretched kids who got beat up by their dads, guys who didn’t get on the football team, couldn’t finagle a scholarship. They didn’t have the emotional equipment to handle that experience. But this is what an actor trains to do. I can more effectively represent that kid in Vietnam than a guy who was there.

Let me see, my current brother-in-law, graduated with honors from HS, went to Purdue, went into the Army went to VN for 4 years. Came from a well to do family and well educated.
    My former brother-in-law, ROTC and graduated with honors from HS. Went into the Air Force and VN for two years until wounded. Then graduated from IU. Oh, and came froma very well to do family that owned a very well to do company in Indianapolis, and at one point was the VP of a major jewlery company.
    Hummmm, so much for the Douche bags theory from my point.

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    I very rarely pay to go see a movie or rent dvd's , I have a hard time funding the liberal agenda in Hollywood.I don't give a rat's *** what these pricks have to say. Alot of the money from Hollywood funds the democratic party and I won't be a part of it .

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I guess Kilmer never heard of the "DRAFT"!!! It was the well to do or connected families sons that got out of having to serve (besides college entrance and the draft dodgers).... thats no reflection upon the rest of middle America that performed their duties when called upon.

Amazing how these Hollywood types can have such effect over things they know nothing about. Hopefully he has an older cousin or Uncle thats a VietNam Vet that will whoop his a$$ into shape and mend his mind too!!!

I always thought his characters were a little off.... just like the real actor portraying them.

Top Bottom