• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    Sav-a-lot food stores up here in the north have tbones for 3.99 a lb also. The meat is from Mexico or Brazil but if you are good at looking for marbling they can be a good deal. I buy most of my beef from a buddy at work by the half but when they run these sales I top off the old freezer. They are usually marked usda "choice".

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    You are correct and I apologize for posting a false statement. I posted based on my memory of a TV news story about problems in the USDA several years ago. I just looked at the USDA website and it says they require an inspector at all facilities that are processing meat. They have 7200 inspectors for 6800 facilities, so they are spread pretty thin. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the inspection process that one inspector approves tens of thousands of pounds of meat every day. The entire food chain is essentially self regulating.

The facilities are inspected not necessarily the meat. The USDA does not inspect every piece of meat.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    You are correct and I apologize for posting a false statement. I posted based on my memory of a TV news story about problems in the USDA several years ago. I just looked at the USDA website and it says they require an inspector at all facilities that are processing meat. They have 7200 inspectors for 6800 facilities, so they are spread pretty thin. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the inspection process that one inspector approves tens of thousands of pounds of meat every day. The entire food chain is essentially self regulating.

No worries KM

You are correct that USDA inspectors do NOT always do what is in the best interest of the consumer.

I worked for Emge Meat Packing in Ft Branch, IN for 10 years. During the winter months they would would put pork bellies in the freezer. Then when tomato season approached (BLT Sandwiches) the pork bellies would come out of the freezer to the curing department. The bellies were placed in a stainless vat and filled with brine. They were left to thaw in a warm room overnight then hung on racks and put in huge smokers.

I worked in the smokehouse department. When we came in the next morning we realized the guy in the curing department put in straight water instead of brine. The bellies stunk like sewage and were real spongy.
    we called for a USDA inspector to examine the meat. We were convinced it was headed for waste
    The inspector said the meat was ok and used the term gassy.

After the bellies were smoked they sent them to the bacon slicing department. When they tried to slice them on a high speed slicer they just fell apart.
    The slabs of bacon were sold to mom and pops type stores where I assume they were sliced on a conventional type slicer or sliced by hand and sold as bulk style bacon.

There was about $20,000 worth of bacon in those vats. So as they say just follow the money.
    I'm about to use words rarely ever spoken by a man. "That bacon isn't fit to eat"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2016
    danville
    I buy approx. 45 - 70 steaks a month for a monthly steak dinner at an American Legion from the mooresville store. Couldn't be more happy. We have never had any complaints about the quality of meat. We buy ribeys cut to 3/4 inch thick.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Still wondering..how does a shop sell quality meat at 1/3 the cost of local grocery store? And then other butcher shop is double cost of grocery store because their meat is "local" and "non gmo".

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Still wondering..how does a shop sell quality meat at 1/3 the cost of local grocery store? And then other butcher shop is double cost of grocery store because their meat is "local" and "non gmo".

The butcher shop can charge double the cost of the grocery store for "local" and "non gmo" because there is no shortage of people with more money than sense willing to pay for the marketing of such products. "A sucker is born every minute" seems rather apropos. Same with "grass fed" and "non-antibiotic" meat for that matter.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I buy approx. 45 - 70 steaks a month for a monthly steak dinner at an American Legion from the mooresville store. Couldn't be more happy. We have never had any complaints about the quality of meat. We buy ribeys cut to 3/4 inch thick.

The Danville Legion? If so, that is saying something because I have lived in Danville my entire life and meet a lot of local people through my work. I couldnt tell you how many people I hear raving about how good the Legion steaks are. I also hear the loins every Wednesday is awesome and the ladies fried chicken. Take care.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    There prices seem to be pretty good would probably shop there if we were closer. The last few years we have been buying our beef thru a local farmer, average price across the board has been 2.75 per # processed. all said and done also vacuum packed . quit having a hog butchered since we can get pork tenderloins on sale for 1.49 a # at local grocery store. remake our own sausage with it too.

Top Bottom