• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    My Grandfather was a Colonel in WWII in the Philippines when the war ended and brought back two officers swords. Mine is in aged but new condition. Any ideas out there?

:postpics:

I live in Japan, train in Iaido and have some good contacts with very knowledgeable people here. If you can post or PM me pics I may be able to get a ballpark value for you...

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    The story went that US Officers were taken to a warehouse where the confiscated swords were hanging in rows. Each US Officer was given one but my Grandfather said he had two son's and they let him have two. One of them has a small scroll in the handle hollow with Japanese print on it supposedly naming the Officer and his family name. These are supposedly very valuable to the original Japanese family.

If you can post a pic of the symbol I can ask one of the japanese guys at work if he can read it...

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Getting pics of mine involves a 40 mile round trip that is not feasible right now. I will see if my cousin can take pics of his and see if I can get them posted.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If you can post a pic of the symbol I can ask one of the japanese guys at work if he can read it...

Getting pics of mine involves a 40 mile round trip that is not feasible right now. I will see if my cousin can take pics of his and see if I can get them posted.

Try to get pics somehow, David (and his co workers) were a big help with identifying and dating one of my WWII Officer's Sword :yesway::rockwoot:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    The story went that US Officers were taken to a warehouse where the confiscated swords were hanging in rows. Each US Officer was given one but my Grandfather said he had two son's and they let him have two. One of them has a small scroll in the handle hollow with Japanese print on it supposedly naming the Officer and his family name. These are supposedly very valuable to the original Japanese family.

If this is correct and the paper lists the owner's name, then The Right Thing To Do is to try to return it to the family, like this gentleman did: Sword returned to family after 65 years

...Especially if it is a family heirloom as the one is the article (300+ years old) seems to be. The first step is to find out if it is a traditionally made blade, not all Gunto (= military blades) were. Some were mass produced out of Chinese railroad ties for lower ranked officers and NCO's. Looking forward to the pics! :yesway: :ingo:

Last edited:

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    I mean come on already, Ingo Faq has wonderfull information on how to post pics. I swear I spent 10 hrs trying to load pics with no luck. Finally I read the instructions and post more pics than a pics poster should!

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Pics? Here's the one my Dad brought back. He also brought back the Arisaka (great shooter, btw) and bayonet. While I don't believe its a 700 year old sword, I'm never going to sell it.

P1231099.jpg

P1231102.jpg

P1231096.jpg

P1231094.jpg

P1231097.jpg

P1231085.jpg

P1231082.jpg

P1231079.jpg

P1231077.jpg

P1231075.jpg
    P1221067.jpg

P1221064.jpg