• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I use Rotella conventional 15W40 in the tractors. Right now, Rotella 5W40 synthetic is in my Silverado (175,000 miles) and our Saturn beater (100,000). Whatever Chrysler puts in the 2018 Pacifica is what is in that because they will be doing the oil changes for a good, long while.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just got this email:

? Keep Your Car Running Smooth

RK-Penzoil-5w30.png

way2good4u95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 5, 2018
    Plainfield
    I am not a scientist, but I do have a load of experience on the user end of things.

I worked at a Chevy dealer for nine years. In that course of time "GM" oil went from Valvoline to Pennzoil to standard Mobil to finally Mobil One. The Dexos II specification was just coming along. I got the impression from GM that when they were switching from natural oil to natural oil it was about which oil company would cut them the best deal on a long term contract.

The transition to full synthetic seemed to be accompanied by a response to addressing a few oil related failures that were popping up and a recognition of the fact that synthetic is far superior. It also dovetailed with warranties getting longer than 3/36000.

Before working there I spent a few years in a machine shop rebuilding engines. I made it a point to ask customers what kind of oil they ran. The worst engines for sludge and damage were "whatever is on sale".

The next category of engines were not as bad. Part staining and minor sludge buildup were a couple of the same brands of natural oil. Quaker State and Kendall.

The next category towards good were in relatively decent shape and were usually coming in for upgrades or valve jobs and gaskets. They were engines on a steady diet of either Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil, or Castrol. The Pennzoil and Castrol engines were especially clean.

The best condition engines were far and above running Castrol or Mobil one synthetics. The parts coming out of those engines were close to spec and many had 200k on them.

What was my own anecdotal conclusion? If you're going to run a natural base oil you're better off picking one and staying with it, but despite the price synthetic is a far superior way to go.

I've been running Mobil One for the last 25 years because of that bias I developed back then. I have also had zero oil related failures since then.

Just my $.02.
    Chris
    I am no mechanic but the few mechanics I have talked to have said the same thing about Quaker State oil not being good and Castrol and Mobil one being good. Been using Castrol synthetic ever-since with no mechanical issues in my vehicles.

Top Bottom