• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bar3353

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Evansville
    I have a Ruger Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible and I highly recommend the Blackhawk convertible or plain one cylinder one for that matter. For target shooting it is pretty nice
    Most gravatate to the Vaquero's after the Blackhawk. I also have a Ruger single 6 22lr/22 mag convertible and can't recommend Ruger single actions enough. For the price and quality they are hard to beat and like mentioned used blackhawks are also easy to find.

So shooting the 9mm doesn't harm the grooves in the barrel of a 357?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So shooting the 9mm doesn't harm the grooves in the barrel of a 357?

No! And why would it? Was designed that way. They only negative is it might "might" not be as accurite as a 38/357 due to 9mm is 355 to 357/358 diameter but it wont hurt the barrel, not like it is bouncing arouns thT much. And anyone that worried needs their OCD checked.

Last edited:

bar3353

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    Evansville
    No! And why would it? Was designed that way. They only negative is it might "might" not be as accurite as a 38/357 due to 9mm is 355 to 357/358 diameter but it wont hurt the barrel, not like it is bouncing arouns thT much. And anyone that worried needs their OCD checked.

Oh ok! I didn't know the size difference between the two. Thanks!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh ok! I didn't know the size difference between the two. Thanks!

It is close enough that it would be not an issue. I can tell a slight difference in accuracy from my 9mm cylnder vs my 357 cylnder but it isn't my PPC revolver so i'm good. I sitll get 2-3 in groups at 25 yards. mor o the 2 with 38/357 and 3 ish with 9mm ball and a little less with JHP duty type loads.. But what one must realize 9mm ball is not exactly match grade, could handloading do better with the 9? Probably a little but as cheacp as I can get 9mm (insode joke) I don't bother. I do handload 38 and 357 though.

Can't go wrong with a standard or convertable Blackhawk. You won't stop at one, you will start a small collection very soon aftrewards.

EthanR9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    For a fun range gun, the Vaquero would be an awesome option! They're built a lot more solid than most single action revolvers for extended use and thousands of rounds with no issues. The Ruger Vaquero has become the favorite among single action shooters because of the quality, reliability and price point. As far as calibers go, I'd recommend the .357 if you plan to shoot a lot, that way you can shoot .38 spl and .357 mag. I have a old frame Bisley Vaquero in .357 mag and there is almost no recoil at all with .38's in it. With that being said, the old frames are larger and heavier but the new ones will be very similar. I also have a old frame .44 mag Vaquero and even with the weight of that gun, it's an insane amount of recoil and muzzle flip out of the 4 5/8 barrel. These revolvers are superb and there are a huge selection of aftermarket grip panels to personalize the gun to you. You can tell the difference between new and old Vaqueros by looking at the actual model, a new one will say "Ruger New Vaquero" and older frame will just say "Ruger Vaquero" and a very old frame or "3 screw" will have 3 screws in an almost triangle shape near the back of the frame by the grips.

Top Bottom