• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    Thankfully, the Pope, even for us Catholics, is only considered to have authority and infallibility when dealing with actual religious teaching/issues. Other things like social justice, politics, etc he is just another opinion.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If one is a member of the Catholic church are they obligated to accept this? IMO it is quite divisive.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    If one is a member of the Catholic church are they obligated to accept this? IMO it is quite divisive.

They are only obligated if the Pope speaks from the Chair of Saint Peter (papal infallibility). This rarely happens, but when it does it has to do with the actual church and its teachings, not with social/political issues.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Heck, if I want to hear about income inequality and wealth redistribution, no need to listen to the Pope. I just come to INGO.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not really more inclined to accept a catholic mandate for a world government than I am Muslim.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Francis came up in the Jesuit order in South America, which is a hotbed of "Liberation Theology." Taken in doctrinal terms (from what I have read and heard about this "leaked" encyclical) the idea that rich Christians have a duty to share with the poor has a biblical background. Not often mentioned that I have heard is that Francis also ties the Global Warming POV to the logical fallacy that sees the "world" as in need of salvation, but doesn't feel the same about human babies-in-the-womb. Since the Pope has his facts wrong about Global Warming, I don't feel too badly about ignoring that teaching; just as I'm sure others will ignore his teaching about the evil of abortion.

And there is the root of the problem. He's a Marxist, pure and simple, who puts his socio-political opinions and beliefs ahead of the faith he professes to practice.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thankfully, the Pope, even for us Catholics, is only considered to have authority and infallibility when dealing with actual religious teaching/issues. Other things like social justice, politics, etc he is just another opinion.

Correct. And invoking infallibility of the Church has to be explicitly Ex Cathedra, something that hasn't been done since 1950 and it was on a strictly religious issue.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Don't go bashing the whole faith just because you disagree with a Papal Encyclical...these are his opinions, and have nothing to do with the dogma and doctrines of the Church.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A statement like that + 5 solas​ = You're a Lutheran

Let's not forget that Martin Luther backtracked at the end!

I've heard that traditionally Italians have a more relaxed view of the Pope and his directions. They look at decrees from the Pope has suggestions rather than orders.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've had some personal experience with a Jesuit who spent a lot of time in South America. He was MUCH more political than the two Jesuits who were my wife's cousins. He was also tiptoe-ing around Liberation Theology and blaming the US military for training terrorists (government troops) who oppressed the people of whatever country it was he was serving. We went round and round a couple times over his sermons; in fact, I walked out of the last sermon I heard him preach. He died shortly thereafter; I don't know whether to think that God wasn't pleased with him or that he'd "done his time in Hell" and it was time for him to go home. I suppose when you serve people whose natural enemies appear to be the wealthy and powerful, it's easier to adopt a Them-vs-Us attitude toward the "haves." Pope Francis grew up in that environment; while I don't agree with him, it's not hard to see how he came by his ideas.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've had some personal experience with a Jesuit who spent a lot of time in South America. He was MUCH more political than the two Jesuits who were my wife's cousins. He was also tiptoe-ing around Liberation Theology and blaming the US military for training terrorists (government troops) who oppressed the people of whatever country it was he was serving. We went round and round a couple times over his sermons; in fact, I walked out of the last sermon I heard him preach. He died shortly thereafter; I don't know whether to think that God wasn't pleased with him or that he'd "done his time in Hell" and it was time for him to go home. I suppose when you serve people whose natural enemies appear to be the wealthy and powerful, it's easier to adopt a Them-vs-Us attitude toward the "haves." Pope Francis grew up in that environment; while I don't agree with him, it's not hard to see how he came by his ideas.

I agree that the source is not difficult or complicated to identify.

I will maintain, however, that it's still entirely unacceptable.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    One government to rule the world... Is this Pinky and the Brain? Get back to me when Jesus comes back. Then, and only then, I'll go for a world government.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Pope Francis drew from wisdom of his scientific adviser to the Vatican, a self-professed atheist who believes in Gaia / Mother Earth.

Speaking of Mother Earth... the encyclical letter referred to "Brothers" Sun, Wind, and Fire, and "Sisters" Earth, Moon, and Water.

The pope wrote that Catholics should "worship him [God] in union with them" (paragraph 87).

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speaking of Mother Earth... the encyclical letter referred to "Brothers" Sun, Wind, and Fire, and "Sisters" Earth, Moon, and Water.

The pope wrote that Catholics should "worship him [God] in union with them" (paragraph 87).

Lovely. A Pope would apparently couldn't pass an introductory class on theology on merit.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Can't many of the 'problems' he decries be laid at the feet of overpopulation? And the churchs position on birth control is ..... nevermind

Top Bottom