• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I bought my parents 2001 suburban that has been in storage. The vehicle is 99% rust free and everything works besides the A/C. So far I have confirmed that the system is full and the clutch does kick on when you turn the system on. I get warm/hot air out of the vents and can hear a hissing noise through inside the cab. Is there a common issue I should be looking for? Pressure switch, bad service ports leaking? Trying to diy this before I take it to a shop.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I bought my parents 2001 suburban that has been in storage. The vehicle is 99% rust free and everything works besides the A/C. So far I have confirmed that the system is full and the clutch does kick on when you turn the system on. I get warm/hot air out of the vents and can hear a hissing noise through inside the cab. Is there a common issue I should be looking for? Pressure switch, bad service ports leaking? Trying to diy this before I take it to a shop.
    If AC has good charge and the compressor is cycling, I'd say something with the blend door. I know back on some early model vehicles (pre 2000s) the blend door is controlled by vacuum. Not sure if that's the case on your specific vehicle, but could explain the hissing sound if it is

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    On my 02 suburban, it was the control knobs. Didn't matter where you set it, you were getting hot air.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    How did you verify system is full?
    If it has refrigerant then either bad compressor, clogged orifice, clogged receiver/ dryer.

Are the lines to/from the evaporator cold?

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    How did you verify system is full?
    If it has refrigerant then either bad compressor, clogged orifice, clogged receiver/ dryer.

Are the lines to/from the evaporator cold?
    I just put a basic gauge with a Freon can on it. I’m not sure which line is which but one seemed hot and the other cold

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Hissing noise may indicate a vacuum leak. A couple minutes of googling makes it look like 2001 is too new to still have vacuum operated blend doors, though.

If the system is charged and the compressor runs normally, then it is circulating refrigerant and should be cooling. If you are observing normal operation of the compressor and normal pressure ranges on the gauges, then chances are the evaporator core is cold and it's just not getting air blown over it. Youtube makes it look like the dash is easy to take apart and the blend actuators easy to get to. So you could take the dash apart enough to observe them while you manipulate the controls, or even operate an actuator manually. Might be able to access the evaporator core directly and feel if it gets cold. Also if you are getting definite cold feeling and condensation on one of the A/C lines, the system is working.

Can you change vents? Will it switch from defrost to dash to lower vents?

The noise may be nothing, unless you can track it down by ear. My first guess is the blend actuator has failed to the warm side. They do wear out. Your noise might even be the failed actuator trying to run.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The hissing could be the expansion valve. Is there any frost on it or the evaporator. Low pressure can make it hiss more also.

The blend door stuck can also cause a wind whistling sound and also cause the no cold air issue.

The control unit could cause it.

I would look at blend door actuator to see if they move when the controls are changed, and go from there.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    If the compressor clutch is clicking on and off every few seconds, the system is low on refrigerant and the clutch is disengaging to protect the compressor. If it stays on, should be good to move on to other causes. The 05's definitely have blend door actuator issues for sure, probably the same for other year models as well, the gear teeth strip and the door won't be set in the proper position with respect to the control setting. Replacing some blend door actuators is a pain just from an access standpoint but it can be done.
    https://www.1aauto.com/how-to-replace-door-actuator-2000-06-chevy-suburban/video/47423

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Well I dove more into it tonight. Took the actuator off and manually moved the arm and still have no cold air out of the vents. Compressor kicking on/off every 20 seconds or so. Am I low on Freon and have a leak somewhere?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Well I dove more into it tonight. Took the actuator off and manually moved the arm and still have no cold air out of the vents. Compressor kicking on/off every 20 seconds or so. Am I low on Freon and have a leak somewhere?
    Fast cycling is an indication of a low charge. Look for wet or damp spots around connections and the condenser, if nothing is obvious, it could be the evaperator.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Auto a/c systems are (usually) factory charged with a dye that glows under a black light. Might make it easier to spot a leak.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    20 seconds sounds kinda fast. You or somebody needs to hook up actual AC gauges and compare the pressures to the spec.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    on another note with a different vehicle. I have a 2003 envoy and the rear lines were rusted out. I had to disconnect them and install a block on them.

Top Bottom