• ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll add a few more:

Know the capabilities and limitations of your vehicle. Practice (in a safe, controlled environment).

Can your car/truck clear a curb? How high? Ever driven off-road? How do you drive out of a ditch? How much space do you need side-to-side? How fast can you safely corner? In the Rain? Snow?

Lots of folks have 4x4s and sport utilities , but just assume that 4WD will magically get them where the need to go. Reality is a tad different. But, a little knowledge and skill can be the difference between abandoning your stuck vehicle and making home.

An aside:
    I actually have access to the curriculum for an off-road driving course. It would take me all of 5 minutes to be a "certified instructor" (not only do I have connections, but I'm a professional trainer by trade, and have written some of my own material on this topic). Is there a market for an actual 4WD off-road driving course? What would you pay for 1/2 day classroom and 1/2 day behind the wheel? I've been chewing on this for a couple of years, but just haven't pulled the trigger.

Completely unrelated thought:
    I mentioned earlier about keeping your car clean to prevent theft. The same goes for general safety. Keep crap out from under your pedals and from sliding in the seats. You get distracted grabbing for it, and it can be downright dangerous in an accident.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...What would you pay for 1/2 day classroom and 1/2 day behind the wheel? I've been chewing on this for a couple of years, but just haven't pulled the trigger. ..

Minimal, for a brand new instructor anyway. However, if you do your job well leaving me a strong impression, I will talk, talk, talk and post, post, post. That is actually way more valuable than cash for a starting business.:twocents:

Please put me on your mailing list.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Another one for motorcycles...buy and watch "Ride like a Pro." It's put on by a motor patrol officer instructor who is one of the best in the world. It's worth its weight in gold if you have a big bike. It's still worth it if you ride a sport bike.

skseifert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Boggstown
    I can second the tactic to drive in the outside lane, give yourself an out, and not get boxed in. I had a near tragic accident on I65 when all traffic in front of me came to a halt. Left myself plenty of room between me and the car in front of me, and I was in the left most lane. The guy coming up behind me in his Hummer was busy talking on the phone, and not watching traffic. I instinctively used my space to turn into the left shoulder. He swerved at the last second and barely missed the car that was in front of me. I would have been plowed into had I not moved.

I rarely used the freeways after this - it's always been my thought that the freeways box you in too much, and leave you little escape.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Most the big ones are already hit. Drive far enough back that you can react, always leave yourself an out, and just remember on the out, you CAN drive on the grass in an emergency. Remember, your vehicle is a better weapon then your pistol, and unlike the movie, dont try to shoot and drive at the same time. Do ONE or the OTHER, do not do both, or you will wreck and die, then be able to do neither ever again. If you are parking, make sure you can easily get back out, park near a light and circle your vehicle to check and make sure everything is good to go before you go. Everything is off the windshield, away from the tires, any damage, anything unusual, etc. Start driving before you engage the seat belt. Getting into and out of the car is your DANGER time, as you will be distracted, and facing away from possible danger and getting into the vehicle, once in, lock the doors before you adjust mirrors, change radio stations, play with briefcase, etc. Once again, remember that your vehicle can (and thousands have been) be used as a deadly weapon, do not be afraid to run over someone trying to kill you. Keep one hand free coming up to the vehicle, as you will need it for the keys, or to defend yourself from an attacker. Whatever you are carrying (unless its a child) is not worth your life, if you have to defend yourself, you can drop and replace anything else.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This way I make sure that I have no ponctured tire, not broken window, that nobody is hiding on the rear seat, nobody stole my licence plates (we have one in the front and rear here and criminals can use them to hide their own plates).

Doh!

MangoTango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you have a little one who needs help with getting buckled in, have them get in, then you get in, close and lock doors and then finish buckling them in. Anyone who has trained with me knows I hate parking garages. When it is me and my daughter we have an action plan before entering. I tell her we are walking straight to the Jeep, look around. When we get there get straight in, "no messing around". ONce we get in and the doors locked we will get you buckled in. Also make sure you are not overloaded with bags and as previously stated, practice dropping everything to get to your pistol. Its harder than you think if you haven't practiced.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The discussion of motorcycle safety brings me to recount an interesting (yet scary) story of a seemingly normal night in May 2011. I was returning home from an evening out with friends--around 1AM on a Sunday morning. As I was riding my cruiser home, I noticed a car that had been tailing me for over a mile. Since I came from a major street and was turning onto another major street, I figured that the car that was following me must have been doing so out of coincidence. However, when I turned onto my small street--with the other car closely behind me, I knew I was being followed. I had a plan. My first instinct was to speed away, hit the highway, lose them, and then come home later. However, I didn't want to take the chance of being attacked far away from home. I also figured if they gave pursuit, I could lose control of the bike. I also knew they wanted to steal my bike--and I knew they were likely armed. As soon as I had an inkling that I was being followed, I began making mental notes about the men in the car--two black males (appeared to be in their early 30s) in a tan 1980s Lincoln. When I eventually whipped into my parking spot, I already had my sidearm in hand, safety off. The men abruptly stopped and looked at me. My handgun was stainless steel, and I think they noticed it. They sped off at once. All was well. The moral of the story: lone bikers can be at a disadvantage to attackers in a car. Always pay attention to your surroundings, and practice removing your weapon from its holster while on your bike. This is yet another story of a gun owner using his weapon without firing a shot (or even pointing it).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by actaeon277
    I don't think anyone mentioned check the back seat before getting in the car.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sylvain
    I did.

Quote:
    How do you know you're not on my ignore list?

Quote:
    Oh ... didn't think about that.

With this level of keen observation and problem solving ability (or not),I'm guessing neither Sylvain or actaeon277 are detectives.....

:D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Quote:
    I don't think anyone mentioned check the back seat before getting in the car.

Quote:
    I did.

Quote:
    How do you know you're not on my ignore list?

Quote:
    Oh ... didn't think about that.

With this level of keen observation and problem solving ability (or not),I'm guessing neither Sylvain or actaeon277 are detectives.....

:D

That's it.
    Now YOU'RE on my ignore list.
    :)

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Are there any tactics for those of us that ride on two wheels?

I took a m/c safety course based out of Georgia." Stayin Safe" is the name of the course. I can not recommend this class enough. This is a must for anyone that rides a motorcycle. This is not a "tactical" course but expands on the fundamentals, sort of like taking a handgun 101 taught by a pro. It has made me a better driver in a 4wheeler also.

Top Bottom