• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Hey guys I wanted to know if any of you practice shouting verbal commands when you practice your weapon draws.
    I heard its a good thing to do to know what to say in case you ever have to draw your gun to defend yourself.In many cases just drawing your gun and shouting verbal comments at your threat may be enough to end the situation without having to fire a single shot.

I have a few questions:

The first one is have you ever had to draw your gun to end a dangerous situation without having to fire a shot?

The second one is what kind of commands would you practice or use in a real situation?

Im asking that because I am a non-native english speaker, so I thought it would be even more important for me to practice verbal command because with the stress of a real situation I may forget what to say and shout orders in my native language.
    That may scare the bad guy anyway but im not sure he/she will understand what im saying. :D

It reminds me of a quote by Clint Smith:

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

I need your help on that, would you say things along "stop, back off!", "get back!" or even maybe "make my day punk!"? :):

I need a simple phrase who would work for any kind of situation.

Thanks for your help guys! :yesway:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you're in a situation where you HAVE to draw your gun, saying anything would be useless. Once that gun is drawn, the decision is already made that someone is going to get shot.

Before it comes to that, you probably should try to talk your way out of that situation before it comes to drawing your gun.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    For what it's worth:
    I teach people to shout commands (at the very top of the lungs!) to break auditory exclusion and for intimidation--like yelling at an aggressive dog.

"Stop!", "Get outta' here!", or similar, short, commands are good, but not "Make my day." You want an assailant to leave, as the best way to prevail in a violent encounter is to avoid it. The combination of a command voice and, if necessary, the presentation of a gun, causes most thugs to leave in most cases.

Agree with "Lovemachine46147" that once a decision to shoot happens (hope that never happens!), all talking or shouting is over.

To answer your first question, I have, in two cases, presented a handgun in the face of potential violence but never fired a shot. The attacks never materialized.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I always figured the act of me pulling my pistol should be about all the warning an intelligent Person needs to tell them I am about to shoot something...

I mean my 5 year old nephew knows when Uncle Jeremy pulls iron out something is going to be shot soon...

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    If I have them, by surprise, I get their attention, by yelling HEY, at the top of my lungs, (Marine/soldier) I know how to yell, that usually causes them to jump, if they turn around, I have my weapon, at the ready....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just curious...what's your native language? If you're afraid of bias against you or judgement from folks here, then, by all means, don't tell. (seriously, I'm just curious of folks not from these parts! :-) )

And by all means, scream at the top of your lungs. It can't hurt. And it may very well help. (garnering attention from others nearby; startling a mope, etc)

Some teachers teach it as part of their SD routines (think martial arts and the screaming/yelling/grunting they do), some don't.

Also, OP, I'd encourage you to research training classes. And take one! Or two. Or 40 brazilian.

-J-

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We are drilled to shout verbal commands when we draw..."Police!!! Get Down!!!, or Police!!! Drop Your Weapon." ect ect. So much so that when a Pitbull was charging me, I drew and shouted those same commands :n00b:. Non LEO's can benefit from verbal commands just as I can. It helps prevent tunnel vision, and it can also cover your butt. Just the same for me, you will have witnesses that can testify that you gave loud/clear verbal commands and they still did not comply (when applicable) forcing you to use deadly force. Not all situations will require a draw and immediate firing...it is quite realistic to use verbal commands when appropriate.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    STOP!!!!!

Because even when stressed I can remember to yell STOP! and it's better than the neighbors hearing "DIE MOTHER F...........!" followed by gunshots.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have to agree with Denny347. Even though the only time I used to practice this was in semi-annual qualifications (and that was some years ago now) my first impulse is still to yell "STOP! Get Down On The Ground!"

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    We are drilled to shout verbal commands when we draw..."Police!!! Get Down!!!, or Police!!! Drop Your Weapon." ect ect. So much so that when a Pitbull was charging me, I drew and shouted those same commands :n00b:. Non LEO's can benefit from verbal commands just as I can. It helps prevent tunnel vision, and it can also cover your butt. Just the same for me, you will have witnesses that can testify that you gave loud/clear verbal commands and they still did not comply (when applicable) forcing you to use deadly force. Not all situations will require a draw and immediate firing...it is quite realistic to use verbal commands when appropriate.

:+1:

Most excellent!!

Now....add "MOVE"! Do not stand still...MOVE! Move to cover or concealment, or run away, but...MOVE!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For what it's worth:
    I teach people to shout commands (at the very top of the lungs!) to break auditory exclusion and for intimidation--like yelling at an aggressive dog.

"Stop!", "Get outta' here!", or similar, short, commands are good, but not "Make my day." You want an assailant to leave, as the best way to prevail in a violent encounter is to avoid it. The combination of a command voice and, if necessary, the presentation of a gun, causes most thugs to leave in most cases.

Agree with "Lovemachine46147" that once a decision to shoot happens (hope that never happens!), all talking or shouting is over.

To answer your first question, I have, in two cases, presented a handgun in the face of potential violence but never fired a shot. The attacks never materialized.

Thanks for your post, the "make my day" thing was a joke.
    If I ever have to shoot someone and a witness heard me say that it would look bad in court, much worse than if I said three times "stop!" before shooting.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Make sure whatever you yell is a clear, simple command. I don't like "don't come any closer or I'll shoot" type conversations. Yell something simple like "On the ground now!" or "Run away now!" Don't offer them a chance to think.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Just curious...what's your native language? If you're afraid of bias against you or judgement from folks here, then, by all means, don't tell. (seriously, I'm just curious of folks not from these parts! :-) )

And by all means, scream at the top of your lungs. It can't hurt. And it may very well help. (garnering attention from others nearby; startling a mope, etc)

Some teachers teach it as part of their SD routines (think martial arts and the screaming/yelling/grunting they do), some don't.

Also, OP, I'd encourage you to research training classes. And take one! Or two. Or 40 brazilian.

-J-

I dont really mind about any judgement from people here or anywhere else.
    My native language is french.I have no problem speaking english (I would like to think so anyway) but I thought that during a situation like that where I could have to draw my gun my native language could take over if I dont practice some basic verbal commands.
    Not that it could be a real problem, I dont think that anyone would ever tell me "Sorry I didnt get what you said with your accent, you want me to trop my knife or you will shoot me ... is that so?".
    I had some formal firearm, martial arts and self denfense training for a few years but I didnt learn to shout verbal commands in english as all my classes were in french.
    Im always looking for more training.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I always yell commands when I draw my weapon.
    "Gimmie all your money!"
    "Take off your watch!"
    "Get out of the car, leave your keys!"
    "You gotta purdy mouff!"

Top Bottom