Richmond, IN

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Question for INGO legal beagles:

Two years ago, I was all set to go through another voir dire as a prospective juror, and then my mother died. I was in no condition to deal with my own life for a while, let along decide things for someone else's. I was given a one year rain check on my jury service.

Then, my own legal woes were thrust upon me. I'm sure that until they're cleared up, no clerk of the court is gonna insist I show up for jury duty locally, though the feds had no problem calling me to Indy.

My question is that after I'm cleared and my rights restored, what is the likelihood I'm even called for jury duty again for a long, long time, or, if I'm called, how likely is it that someone so recently accused herself would be allowed past voir dire to sit on someone else's jury?

All of these court machinations has raised my sense of civic duty and I'd really like to get on a jury or dozen sometime soon.

That eagerness right there would be enough for a lot of the lawyers to not want you to be there

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Verdict was correct, and I am surprised it happened. I believed the jury would decide based on emotions and the ridiculous crap the prosecution fed to them the whole time. I underestimated them! I was wrong.

Now, who will compensate George Zimmerman suffering this unnecessary abuse by the state? It's not fair for innocent taxpayers to do so.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    This just in:

tumblr_inline_mpwmosPwoo1qz4rgp.gif

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Just heard on Fox News, riots breaking out in Oakland California. So far just burning of flags and one store window broken. So maybe it's more of a protest.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I see nothing there that precludes civil suits.

[h=3]Immunity from civil lawsuit[edit][/h]In addition to providing a valid defense in criminal law, many laws implementing the Castle Doctrine, particularly those with a "Stand-Your-Ground clause," also have a clause which provides immunity from any civil lawsuits filed on behalf of the assailant (for damages/injuries resulting from the force used to stop them). Without this clause, an assailant could sue for medical bills, property damage, disability, and pain & suffering as a result of the injuries inflicted by the defender; or, if the force results in the assailant's death, his/her next-of-kin or estate could launch a wrongful death suit. Even if successfully rebutted, the defendant (the homeowner/defender) may still have to pay high legal costs leading up to the suit's dismissal. Without criminal/civil immunity, such civil action could be used as revenge against a lawfully-acting defender (who was, originally, the assailant's victim).
    Use of force in self-defense which causes damage or injuries to other, non-criminally-acting parties, may not be shielded from criminal or civil prosecution, however.
    [h=3]Duty-to-retreat[edit][/h]"Castle laws" remove the duty to retreat before using deadly force when one is in their home or in some U.S. states just simply where one can legally be.[SUP][6]

Castle doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida Castle Doctrine

"It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them."

[/SUP]

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I see nothing there that precludes civil suits.

You are right in the direct cite. But there appears to be a form of immunity in the last Section (775.085) of the Chapter. Not sure if it applies, though, as it seems to be predicated on a conviction of the assailant. Need to go back and retread it I guess.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    There were many people including a number on this forum, who convicted Zimmerman before evidence was presented at his trial.
    As we found out during the course of the trial, there was no evidence!
    All I have to say is you should be ashamed for convicting a person before a trial based on misinformation and hype.:twocents:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Immunity from civil lawsuit[edit]

In addition to providing a valid defense in criminal law, many laws implementing the Castle Doctrine, particularly those with a "Stand-Your-Ground clause," also have a clause which provides immunity from any civil lawsuits filed on behalf of the assailant (for damages/injuries resulting from the force used to stop them). Without this clause, an assailant could sue for medical bills, property damage, disability, and pain & suffering as a result of the injuries inflicted by the defender; or, if the force results in the assailant's death, his/her next-of-kin or estate could launch a wrongful death suit. Even if successfully rebutted, the defendant (the homeowner/defender) may still have to pay high legal costs leading up to the suit's dismissal. Without criminal/civil immunity, such civil action could be used as revenge against a lawfully-acting defender (who was, originally, the assailant's victim).
    Use of force in self-defense which causes damage or injuries to other, non-criminally-acting parties, may not be shielded from criminal or civil prosecution, however.
    Duty-to-retreat[edit]

"Castle laws" remove the duty to retreat before using deadly force when one is in their home or in some U.S. states just simply where one can legally be.[SUP][6]

Castle doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida Castle Doctrine

"It also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them."

[/SUP]
    I'm sorry, are we talking genericly about CD/SYG laws now, or are we still talking about FL laws specificly, because the link was specificly to the FL law, and it still contains no civil immunity provision.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I'm sorry, are we talking genericly about CD/SYG laws now, or are we still talking about FL laws specificly, because the link was specificly to the FL law, and it still contains no civil immunity provision.

:dunno:......Whut iz it......'bout the law ya don't comprehend?......can file.....whutever they want,don't mean it'a ever see light o' day......hell, I could file suit cuz they's sumthin in yer avatar I don't like......:):......don't mean it'a ever get heard......much less even go 'cross the bench.....LOL....:):

(Oh......DO like the avatar,BTW.......hahahahaha.....)

RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    What civil suits could they possibly file? The NAACP want something to complain about as usual. As a white male I was denied multiple scholarships. My fellow African Americans? They got them. Even the head of the science department told me that. You know what's funny? I'm 1/8 cherroke Indian.

Better check with the tribe first. Most recognized tribes have rules about that sort of thing; my own thin claim to Cherokee ancestry was recently mooted, as my ancestor's ancestors were owned by tribe members and that no longer counts. Remember, a tribe's a kind of political subdivision. (Also bear in mind the original Constitutional status of "Indians not taxed." They count as 0, not 3/5. How's that for special?)

Top Bottom