Vertical ownership above property boundaries ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cryppie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2020
    US
    So there is nothing you can do if you have a drone watching your under age daughter swimming/sunbathing in the privacy of your fenced in back yard (expectation of privacy)?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What about radio frequencies jamming? How hard is that? If the droid is on top of you then you're the closest radiating signal. The inverse square law should apply. Workable?

The good ones will use GPS to return to base and land automatically if they lose contact with the pilot. But that is harder than you think. But if you could pull it off it wouldnt be the worst way to get rid of it per se. Kinda the equivalent to making a loud noise to scare a dog off your property.

I fly a drone, and there's a lot of misconceptions about them. The main thing to realize is that most drones only have a 1x lens, so they really can't zoom in on you to catch you with no pants on. I did have one neighbor express concern that I was focusing on his place, but that was not the case. Just flying slow to get some good film of my area. That particular neighbor is also a little bat**** crazy and is probably paranoid about his 'special' tomato crop, which I could give a **** about. The legal ceiling for drones is 400 feet, so it's not like we can climb to 1000 feet to avoid being seen.

They are becoming pretty commonplace for realty, insurance, and Ag purposes, and are quite a useful tool.

One thing that might help is contacting him before you make a flight, and have him watch you. If posible have him watch the footage live, or if thats not possible, review it when you land. Show him all that you CANT see when he thinks you are too close. And make it clear you DGAF about what special medicinal herbs (wink wink) he grows in his garden.

And everything from the tips of the blades of grass on up in the airspace is regulated by FAA, whether anyone likes it or not.

Negative, Ghost rider. Their responsibility is >500' AGL in the city, >365' in rural areas. You can do what you want typically below those heights without consulting them. (some exceptions of course)

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Don’t worry, all you folks that don’t mind seeing drones shot down (or involved in “unfortunate” midair collisions), nearly all of which are operated for completely lawful recreational and business purposes (anyone see a parallel with how guns are mostly used, yet so many want them taken away???)... Soon enough, FAA will institute Remote ID, killing off much of the hobby, and then you can just worry about shooting down all the Amazon and UPS drones flying over your neighborhood, instead.

I like my drone, I'm far from anti-drone and I haven't seen anyone saying all drones are bad and should be shot down. I was just posting some information if a situation were to arise where someone was creating an issue with one. If I were to see one hovering outside of my daughter's bedroom window as an example, you can bet I'm going to intervene.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    The good ones will use GPS to return to base and land automatically if they lose contact with the pilot. But that is harder than you think. But if you could pull it off it wouldnt be the worst way to get rid of it per se. Kinda the equivalent to making a loud noise to scare a dog off your property.

Sounds like you and the guy that’s teaching the Part 107 course I’m taking you could have a pretty interesting discussion then.

One thing that might help is contacting him before you make a flight, and have him watch you. If posible have him watch the footage live, or if thats not possible, review it when you land. Show him all that you CANT see when he thinks you are too close. And make it clear you DGAF about what special medicinal herbs (wink wink) he grows in his garden.

Negative, Ghost rider. Their responsibility is 500' AGL in the city, 365' in rural areas. You can do what you want typically below those heights without consulting them. (some exceptions of course)

I had originally posted a bunch of long-winded, temperamental nonsense here, but I should’ve just said there’s a difference between what FAA controls and what they regulate… Even someone who shoots down a drone in uncontrolled (class G) airspace is still going to end up very much on the wrong side of the law, because FAA regulates that airspace. It’s not an airplane only in certain places, and shooting down an airplane Ken result in serious fines and jail time. And we all know when a lot of knuckleheads shoot into the air they don’t stop to consider that the bullet comes down.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I like my drone, I'm far from anti-drone and I haven't seen anyone saying all drones are bad and should be shot down. I was just posting some information if a situation were to arise where someone was creating an issue with one. If I were to see one hovering outside of my daughter's bedroom window as an example, you can bet I'm going to intervene.

Exactly.

What I've read here is standard gun forum stuff. A small segment of the populous freaking out over basically nothing while 99.99% of us are just shooting the bull and talking BS. I don't have a drone, but I do have other RCs and have been wanting to get into the flying game for awhile. I just don't have anywhere good to do so, and not wanting to sully the reputation of the hobby by flying it around my neighborhood, I'm sitting it out for the moment.

So... Any regulation to drones is going to filter down to the entire hobby and I don't think many people who are thinking straight actually want that.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Unfortunately, that regulation is coming and it’s called Remote ID. Imagine if you carry a handgun that anytime you step out of your home, people can see you on a map, know who you are, know your LTCH number, follow your path, even use the information to meet and confront you. That’s where Remote ID is headed for drone pilots.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Unfortunately, that regulation is coming and it’s called Remote ID. Imagine if you carry a handgun that anytime you step out of your home, people can see you on a map, know who you are, know your LTCH number, follow your path, even use the information to meet and confront you. That’s where Remote ID is headed for drone pilots.

Is it for the pilot or for the drone? As in, if you're actively flying the drone then those things happen but if not, then no.

Honestly... If it's for an active drone while powered on, I wouldn't personally have a problem with it. I don't have a problem with showing my ID to a cop that stops me while I'm driving either.

I do understand your concerns, but like any new technology there is going to be a teething period while we figure out the "best" way to deal with it. There was a time that people hated cars because they scared the horses too.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Don’t get me wrong, I plan to tough it out and do what it takes to try to make Remote ID work… The problem will come from all those who have so many misconceptions about drones. They’ll literally be able to use the technology to confront drone pilots who are flying completely within the law.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Don’t get me wrong, I plan to tough it out and do what it takes to try to make Remote ID work… The problem will come from all those who have so many misconceptions about drones. They’ll literally be able to use the technology to confront drone pilots who are flying completely within the law.

My gut feeling on this one is that the guys who comply with RFID are probably exactly who we want to be confronted because you'll be good ambassadors to the hobby and way less likely to be doing something that needs confronted anyhow. It's going to be Jimmy up the street with his $69 Amazon drone that is causing the trouble and for an unfortunate period of time you'll be doing the time for his crime as well.

I have plenty of interests that if done wrong can attract the wrong attention, so I don't do them wrong and I let the other guys take most of the heat for their actions. Drone pilots will eventually get to that place too where the public is pretty well aware of the difference between a grown man enjoying an expensive and rewarding hobby and some dipstick doing something stupid.

GMediC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    US

Negative, Ghost rider. Their responsibility is >500' AGL in the city, >365' in rural areas. You can do what you want typically below those heights without consulting them. (some exceptions of course)

Where did you get 365 AGL? Part 91 says 500 feet over uncongested areas and 1000 feet higher than the highest obstacle in congested areas. Part 135 regulated medical helicopters to greater than 300 feet AGL except for take off and landing.

And drones are restricted to below 400 feet AGL

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

How does it work? Something they'll install in all new drones sold after a certain date or is it done completely from the gov't end?

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    My gut feeling on this one is that the guys who comply with RFID are probably exactly who we want to be confronted because you'll be good ambassadors to the hobby and way less likely to be doing something that needs confronted anyhow. It's going to be Jimmy up the street with his $69 Amazon drone that is causing the trouble and for an unfortunate period of time you'll be doing the time for his crime as well.

I have plenty of interests that if done wrong can attract the wrong attention, so I don't do them wrong and I let the other guys take most of the heat for their actions. Drone pilots will eventually get to that place too where the public is pretty well aware of the difference between a grown man enjoying an expensive and rewarding hobby and some dipstick doing something stupid.

That’s an excellent perspective.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    So there is nothing you can do if you have a drone watching your under age daughter swimming/sunbathing in the privacy of your fenced in back yard (expectation of privacy)?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yes, initially you can track down where it's flying from. Most high-end drones have a distance limit measured in a couple miles from where it's taking off - cheap amazon drones much less distance. Air-time on the good ones is 20-30 minutes, so if they're hovering, the operator is probably close by. I'd take video of it hovering around your place, for evidence. If you can see the drone, they can see you - make sure the operator sees you filming them. You can call local LEO and at least get on record that there's a problem.

Just a couple thoughts.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    It is a very confusing subject.
    When is protecting your privacy legal?
    And do we have to use steel shot?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You just need one of these. (skip to 8:25 if you just want the relevant footage with no explanation of how the system works)

[video=youtube;BPaC1LTrHy0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPaC1LTrHy0[/video]

Top Bottom