• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I purchased a old style ruger single six 3 screw with flat gate because I thought it looked cool. I am having a hard time finding any info on this specific gun. It looks like stainless but according to everything I can find this gun should not be stainless. I then thought it was nickel plated by a previous owner but it does not look like any of my nickel plated revolvers. Also there are what look like factory machining marks in the stainless when you take it apart. Where the stainless should be dull from machining its dull. Also the interior of the barrel looks like a normal stainless barrel. I am at a loss on this one. The serial number is very very low 4 digit it was not sent in for the recall which is a good thing for this gun. The grips are possibly not original but I know Ruger offered these as an upgrade during the time this was made. Sorry for the cell phone pix! Thank you in advance for any info you can give me on this!

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    looks like you've been taken... I'd be happy to take it off your hands to help out a fellow INGO Fort Wayne'er!

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I just looked at my Gun Digests from 1959 to 1964 and none of them showed stainless or nickel plated. I will have to dig out my Ruger book and check in there when I have a chance. Is the 95 the first two digits of the low four digit serial number? My Ruger book gives manufacture dates for serial number ranges.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just looked at my Gun Digests from 1959 to 1964 and none of them showed stainless or nickel plated. I will have to dig out my Ruger book and check in there when I have a chance. Is the 95 the first two digits of the low four digit serial number? My Ruger book gives manufacture dates for serial number ranges.

Thats correct the 95 is the first 2 digits and there are only 2 other numbers that follow. I have a gun book that shows there were 500 of a special varient that was nickel plated. But i think they had adjustable sights. The grip frame is black anodized aluminum if that helps.

Thanks!

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Not if it was dipped in a chemical blue remover. The best place for an expert answer is over on Rugerforum.com
    I haven't heard of a Single six in stainless with a 4 digit sn, but I have heard of the bluing being removed. I've done it myself and polished and buffed it and had a pistol that looked stainless (until I parkerized it).

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Ruger sometimes makes a oddball that is exclusive to maybe one or two large distributors. A couple of years ago a member here was selling a Ruger with interchangeable cylinders in 357/9mm. The Ruger website did not show a stainless model but the dealers site had everything listing it as a exclusive.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is a link to a an old model that looks stainless.
    RugerForum.com • View topic - Stainless Old Model Single Six???

It also looks like the screw holes are dished out a bit, unless it's just the lighting.

It could be the lighting they may be slightly dished hard to tell. i havent found another one with that low of a serial number to compare it to.

I am thinking it would have to have the coating described in the link you posted since there is no sign of rust on the gun anywhere and it sat untouched in storage in Florida for 30+ years. Other guns from the same collection did not fair so well.

Thank you for the great info!

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    45520175.jpg

Here is a pic of the same generation (4 digit) serial number that ahs had the chromium plating done to it.

The srews on this one look the same as mine.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Here is my 4 digit Flat Latch with stag grips. I just bought a set of K frame square butt grips (for a Smith K 22 masterpiece) exactly like yours on your single six. They were popular in the 50's and would have been made by either Fritz or Pointer Pup. Your's (grips) are in excellent shape. Ruger never did any single sixes in that configuration, but having it done (nickled? Chromed?) was a popular thing to do, due to the popularity of TV westerns at that time... I would try to find a vintage holster and a mid fifties marlin 39a...That would be a neat combo. Nice gun and I wouldn't let the fact it is not original bother me a bit. That is part of that guns history and speaks of a time when "Horse Opera's" ruled TVLand...

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    OP: have you thought about calling Ruger and asking them?

-J-

+1
    Even if I was an interested buyer who was pretty well convinced it was the factory finish, there is no way I would fork over big bucks without factory confirmation.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here is my 4 digit Flat Latch with stag grips. I just bought a set of K frame square butt grips (for a Smith K 22 masterpiece) exactly like yours on your single six. They were popular in the 50's and would have been made by either Fritz or Pointer Pup. Your's (grips) are in excellent shape. Ruger never did any single sixes in that configuration, but having it done (nickled? Chromed?) was a popular thing to do, due to the popularity of TV westerns at that time... I would try to find a vintage holster and a mid fifties marlin 39a...That would be a neat combo. Nice gun and I wouldn't let the fact it is not original bother me a bit. That is part of that guns history and speaks of a time when "Horse Opera's" ruled TVLand...

Nice piece! The finish on this gun is what got me to purchase it. If it had been left original it probably would be in much worse shape.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Called Ruger earlier today and spoke with a very nice lady in customer service. I told her I was looking for information on a handgun I acquired and gave her the serial number. She laughed and said that's it?! I said yes it's an old one. She said it's a Ruger Single Six made in 1953. I asked if she could give me any specifics on it and was told to send an inquiry form in and it would cost $10 for a certificate of authenticity. So +1 to Ruger for great customer service!

I am debating on whether or not to send in for the certificate...what are your thoughts?

Top Bottom